Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Co-Motion has several models for 2012 advertized as super strong touring bicycles. Back when frame information was not classified I compared the Americano with My 1996 Hilltoper and concluded the Americano was less strong and less stiff than the Hilltoper so I ignored CoMotion until it came to my attention a month ago. Co-Motion tells us the Americano the Pangea and the Divide use Reynolds 725 tubing and a 29.8mm seat post. Looking at the photos and why do they use such low resolution photos along with tubing information available it looks like the frames use a 31.75mm seat tube with .9mm .6mm .9mm thick walls. Based on this information it is reasonable to conclude the top tube is 1 1/4 inch with .9mm .6mm .9mm walls and the down tube is 1 3/8 inch with .9mm .6mm .9mm walls. Is this super strong? No. Here is why Reynolds 725 is heat treated 525. Reynolds 525 has about the same strength as 531 this alloy was developed when there was a chromium shortage even Reynolds admits 525 is a better alloy it is stronger after being TIG welded never the less a TIG welded joint is not as strong as a lugged joint. I know how much but people on the web claim the study used a TIG welded joint with out using filler rod. I don't know and I don't need to know let's assume for the sake of argument that a TIG welded joint is as strong as a bronze brazed joint. My calculations show a lugged joint is 1.387 times as a strong bronze brazed joint strangely enough people don't argue with this figure. There is no right or wrong here lugs are heavy you can build a frame about the same strength and weight using either method if you use over sized tubes on the bronzed brazed frame. A 31.75mm seat tube is 1.368 times as strong as a 28.6mm seat tube due to the size difference. This figure just about the same as the 1.387 figure above. So far so good. Reynolds 725 is 1.5 times as strong as 525 however most TIG welded frames use a 1.2mm thick tube at the bottom bracket compared to the .9mm of the Co-motion making the Co-Motion 1.125 times as strong at the bottom bracket a high stresses area. So far so good however complex welded joints are not as strong as simple welded joints the bottom bracket is a complex welded joint and you can find examples of joints that fail here. http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-143.html http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-068.html Therefore the Co-Motions using tandem tubing are less strong as a frame using lugged joints and standard sized Reynolds 531 tubing with 1mm .7mm 1mm wall thickness. This problem can be reduced by using an over sized bottom bracket notice tandems use an eccentric here this provides more more area to be welded but not enough to prevent overlapping the tubes. Instead Co-Motion chose to use an over sized head tube where joint stresses are less. This is a conservative argument I have more. If you are averaged sized and don't plan on being Ian Hibell then this frame will work for you he broke several frames in his travels.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm not exactly clear on what the OP is saying but Co-Motion bikes such as the Pangea and Divide are relevant to MTBR, there is a Bikepacking and Bike Expedition sub forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts