Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of breaking my leg last year riding the Hole In The Ground trail in Truckee, CA. I made it my goal after the break to ride that trail again on the one year date. I did it :D :D

The ride almost didn't happen though, due to the smoke over Northern California. One of the guys riding with us has a place up in Tahoe though, so he scouted the smoke situation and researched with the locals what the smoke pattern had been. The reports were clear mornings with increased smokiness starting around 12pm or so. Excellent.

Here's the details on the trail:

The route of the trail from my Garmin:

Elevation profile:

To give an idea of the smoke we've been dealing with, here's what it's like in Sacramento where I live as seen through my dirty, cracked windshield. ugh..

Loving getting out of that.

Reminding me to stay focused:

This jeep road leads to the trail head. The trail head is just under a mile away.

The trail head sign. Here we met a hiker who had just run in to a couple who was hiking the PCT from Mexico to Canada. Pretty darn impressive.

The ride starts with a pretty good climb. What makes the climb truly hard is the elevation. I think my house sits at 18 ft above sea level, so sucking air at 7000 ft is a challenge, but I made it to the top without any issue, well, except for the fact that I have a bush for legs:

Down the ridge we goooooo

The profound looking in to the woods pic:

This trail is incredible. The flow of the singletrack, and the surrounding terrain and views are fantastic.

This lake is when you're almost to the end of the trail. A lot of people jump in to cool off, a lot of people hike to here and camp. It's very beautiful:

Here's me. Last year I went off a small jump just around the corner behind me, which led to my crash and leg failure. The pics from the beginning of my story show me laying on the ground directly behind where I'm standing.

Post-ride refreshments

Any ride that ends like this is a kick ass ride as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for reading :).

·
Registered
785 Posts
congrats man! i just read your whole story and i must say i'm quite impressed! more so now that you're back up and riding! great to hear! i crashed hard a while back on this nasty downhill, went over the bars and planted my let hand as i cart-wheeled over, and tore some things in and around my elbow....couldn't ride for a while (no where NEAR the length of time you couldn't ride...), and when i did go back to that trail i without a doubt had some demons to face! and now i've ridden that trail about 8 times since then, and i still get a little knot in my stomach before i drop in....

but congrats to you man! glad to see you're doing well! ride safe from now on!

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
Good stuff! Its gotta feel great to have done that.
How dusty was the final decent? Couldn't make it during my vacation week but very much want to hit that trail again.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spiral butterfly fracture of the tibia, spiral of the fibula. Spirals are bad because it takes a ton of force to spiral the leg so it really breaks when you do it. You can see my xrays on the broken leg page; I look at them and go "yeah I broke my leg" while everyone else goes "HOLY CRAP YOU DESTROYED YOUR LEG I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING THAT BAD!" so it's somewhere between the two :p

Tell him to do exactly what his doctor says, do his PT when he is allowed to and as he's directed to, and tell him not to be a ***** about it. When you get to walk again, it hurts. You haven't been on your leg/foot for a while, your skin is sensitive, your parts are stiff, your muscle is gone. If you don't get on it and start using it, it will stay that way for longer. I had the big Velcro boot for about two weeks before I realized that I wasn't going to build my strength back if I didn't just start walking and using the leg again (and my doctor was OK with me ditching the boot whenever I was ready), so I did and that made a huge difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah thats where he is at now, very frustrated has 40 pt sessions scheduled. Has a leg brace velcro type deal, that he dislikes as it hurts, and as also been *****ed at by his PT, as he will have a good day and walk around on his cructches but than suffer the next day. to which the p.therapist says you are causing yourself setbacks.well best of luck and my bro will be encouraged to hear there is hope. where up in the adirondacks so if you ever get up this way give a holler. have a few nice trails

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.