Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im converting to 1x10 so now im only going to have one cable routed in the double cable guide under the bottom bracket. The original guide had a plastic tab that went into the hole under the BB and used the cable tension to be held in place. I found a new one ( Amazon.com: Campagnolo PI6-RE BB Bolt-On Resin Cable Guides: Sports & Outdoors ) and I like the fact that it has a screw to hold it in but since my old one wasnt screwed in Im not sure it the screw will actually work. Do some bikes have threads in the hole under the BB or will it just use the hole as a single thread and i barley torque it down?

·
Registered
467 Posts
As long as the hole is in the right place, and its the right size.

But those are pretty big "IFs".

My bike, I'd just leave one cable slot empty. Or you could drill a hole the correct size in the correct place after removing the BB...your choice to use a tiny self-tapping screw or tap threads and use a tiny machine screw.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes, most bikes have threaded holes. Just pop your existing guide out and see if it has threads. If it's your nice bike I would never drill and tap it, there are plenty of guides that just snap in like your existing one. You could probably find an exact replacement depending on the brand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts