Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In October, that was.
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=233160

I'm still excited like a kid when I ride that bike and it puts a grin on my face every time.

Had some scary noise last weekend in Demo (which turned out to be just the E.13 chain guide hitting the chainstay with the shock fully extended), but so I decided to disassemble the whole bike and rebuild it.
Company shutting down for 2 weeks this is the time. Here's my plan:
Frame
disassemble linkages, grease and antiseize pivots

Forks
My lovely 66L 06. Seals are 6 months old, plan to change oil

Headset
So far seems like the headset is not in great shape (Cane Creek S-3) the bottom bearing seems rusted and I'm thinking about a replacement (any ideas?)

Wheels
The Crossmax XL held well to two years of abuse (including dirt jump sessions and N* Mammoth bike parks). Retrued and tensioned the rear wheel last month.
Love that wheelset but two things are bothering me:
- rear spokes keep pinging: the only fix is to lube the heads of the spokes where they meet the hub (it's messy and doesn't last, plus risk to contaminate rotors)
- Some alloy spokes are scratched (shows the metal) and maybe should be replaced.
I now have a set of Azonic Outlaws on my DJ rig, but will go on the Nomad for bike park trips.

Brakes
Replacement of Juicy 7 brake lines with something cooler (and tougher), Suggestions
Rear rotor is warped
Upgrade front rotor to 203mm? currently 185mm.

Other Stuff
Should I replace handlebar? (Easton EA50 OS) maybe I'm paranoid, but can you spell metal fatigue?
Pedals: still in search of the ideal clipless with platform (now have Shimano M647, maybe upgrade to M545?)
Ti spring for the shock?
Going for the modifications on the 5thE, DIY similar to Avalanche?
Look for a lighter smaller chain guide/bash guard (that E.13 DRS is a real tank)?
1x9 setup with 30T front?
Replace derailler cabling.

Anything else you guys can think of? Looking for some TNC wisdom here... ;)

ZT

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Big friggin' deal!

So what, Zen. Mine turns 3 in a few days. And yes...you are correct to look to the great and powerful Oz...err...I mean TNC for all bike related info. Na na na na nee ner!:lol:

Seriously though, congratulations. But you do know our Nomads are hereby rendered obsolete and useless pieces of aluminum wall art with the introduction of the new Nomad.:D Yeah, they are great bikes and darned reliable. I've been playing with that 5th E on mine for a couple of rides now, and it's been interesting. On any recommendations for upgrades or doodads, I got nothing for ya. You've got some darned good stuff there already, and strangely similar to some of my stuff. I still have my '06 66SL and love that fork. If not for going to a 650B front that required another fork, I'd still run that as my primary fork. I've had the same results with 3 sets of CrossMax XL's as you and still can't kill any of them. I would agree with you on the handlebar, if nothing else for the reason of that EA50 is heavy. Hey...when running XC components like the 66SL and 5th E coil, one should also try to save weight anywhere else possible.:D I'm not clear on your pedal comment there. The 647 is a higher grade pedal than the 545. The 545 is a good pedal and a good value. I love those 647's.

And Mr.P...I want the Avy upgrade just because I've never had any thing Avy, and it's really bothered me and caused many sleepless nights.:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you thought about an adjustable seatpost - Joplin of Gravity Dropper or some such thing?

Thinking of getting one for my Nomad.

Also - keen to see what kind of chain guard you decide on next - I'm looking for a double ring set up. What attachment did you use for the e13? BB or ISCG05 adapter?

·
Registered
215 Posts
:D I know exactly the noise you speak of when the e-13 migrated up to the chainstay. I had the same deal, scared the shite out of me too.she's pertty :thumbsup:

I'd definitely get an adjustable seatpost. Look into the All Mountain Post and the Gravity droppper, I'd stay away from the joplin as the clamping mech is not up to snuf and there's also a problem with air leaking into the chamber when u extend when your supposed to compress(santa cruz will be dropping them from build specs if they don't fix it). I just got an AMP and it's the bomb. A must for nomad owners. But yeah change that bar out.

Also whats wrong with the 647's I was thinkin of gettin a pair?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I was wondering about the 647 comment, too. I'm a Shimano pedal guy...like the adjustability and reliability. I've used 545's, 434's, 647's, and have an old 656 alloy pair.

The 434/424 series is junk as far as the cage is concerned...the pedal is fine, the resin cage is unreliable.

The 647 is an XTR pedal inside an unbelieveably tough resin cage. That resin cage is nothing like that on the 424/434.

The 656 and similar models were those older alloy DX cages with a high end Shimano inner pedal. The pair I have is nearly 10 years old and still going.

The 545 is a cheaper alloy cage around a low/medium quality Shimano pedal. They are very good, reliable, and well priced.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr.P: thanks for the links on the headsets and on the 5thE rebuild (in the other thread), very useful. The Broken Bike site is great.
Seems like S-3 is the way to go, I'm just bummed about the bearing rusting...

Dropper: I've been thinking about the gravity dropper for a while, but I can't really justify it (I'm sure I'd change my mind if I tried one, and that's why I'm not trying one...)
Most of the rides around here have long climbs/descends, plenty of time to change seat height.... so in order of priority, Ti spring first. Plus after building my first SS I'm converted to the philosophy of keep it SIMPLE.

Pedals: don't know why, but I thought the 545 was a better pedal. I love the 647, but I'm looking for something with more grip when unclipped (on the sketchy stuff).
I usually swap a pair of V8 platforms when shuttling at bike park
I drilled my 647 cages and added traction pins, but still not happy 100%

Whynot?: I think I'm using the ISCG05 adapter. Looking at some Gamut stuff: it also depends if I go with single ring front. The only thing holding me back on that is that I use this bike to race Downieville Classic (the XC) so the granny helps on the long climbs.

Any suggestions for the handlebar? No carbon plz. I'm 200# and would like to keep my teeth. :D
ZT

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah I'm looking at the MRP Long Range Patrol with bash guard to put on my 07 Nomad. Seem pretty simple - only issue I can see is the ISCG05 adapter 'torqueing' around the BB.

Any issues with this with your set-up?

Anyway - I can recommend the Race Face Atlas lowriser bar. Very solid and I have found since lowering the front end of my Nomad the thing just feels even faster. (I went from 1 1/2" to 1" rise and took a 5mm spacer out).

·
Banned
197 Posts
whynot? said:
Have you thought about an adjustable seatpost - Joplin of Gravity Dropper or some such thing?

Thinking of getting one for my Nomad.

Also - keen to see what kind of chain guard you decide on next - I'm looking for a double ring set up. What attachment did you use for the e13? BB or ISCG05 adapter?
Put a Joplin on mine and love it. At first I only used it for shuttling dh runs but now I'm using it all the time. I'm wandering how I lived without one:thumbsup:

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whynot? said:
Yeah I'm looking at the MRP Long Range Patrol with bash guard to put on my 07 Nomad. Seem pretty simple - only issue I can see is the ISCG05 adapter 'torqueing' around the BB.

Any issues with this with your set-up?

Anyway - I can recommend the Race Face Atlas lowriser bar. Very solid and I have found since lowering the front end of my Nomad the thing just feels even faster. (I went from 1 1/2" to 1" rise and took a 5mm spacer out).
This is what I've got and it doesn't seem to work too well.
When you hit something hard under your BB it will push the adapter higher until it will hit the chainstay, making a scary noise...

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So yesterday I serviced the lower link pivots and I found that one of the bearings is not doing so good, Opened it up (looked real dry) cleaned and packed with grease. Better but not as smooth as the others.
I was hoping to get 3yrs out of the bearings, seems like I'll have to replace them now.
Also the rubber seals between the lower link and the bearings were pretty worn and could not fit them back in their place: seemed stretched out.

Any good tutorial on Nomad bearing replacement here?
I have the SC instructions, but I was looking for something more detailed.
I got the bearing thingie I'll have to order the propack. (seems like there are 2 kinds for the Nomad1)

ZT

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
ZT,

go for Enduro bearings, may even turns cheaper than ordering from SC. BTW, just two days left till big ride and Nomad is mandatory ;), don't let me chase your light Blur XC once again.

On the chainguide, go for full Gamut if you decide 1x9, or just Gamut bash (light) + Black Spire lower guide (80g). I rode with BSpire for some time, but since I almost never dropped chain before and weghtweenied my Nomad, I took it off.

XL's are going strong for 3+ years and I afraid would be going longer. Set of ST's is looking nice for replacement eventually. If you still insist on 200lb issue (I can't see you keeping it with amount of riding) '09 SX is killer wheel and will hold on N* or Mammoth. The new SX is redesigned and weight same as XL's but wider (21mm vs 19) and stronger.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stalk said:
ZT,

go for Enduro bearings, may even turns cheaper than ordering from SC. BTW, just two days left till big ride and Nomad is mandatory ;), don't let me chase your light Blur XC once again.

On the chainguide, go for full Gamut if you decide 1x9, or just Gamut bash (light) + Black Spire lower guide (80g). I rode with BSpire for some time, but since I almost never dropped chain before and weghtweenied my Nomad, I took it off.

XL's are going strong for 3+ years and I afraid would be going longer. Set of ST's is looking nice for replacement eventually. If you still insist on 200lb issue (I can't see you keeping it with amount of riding) '09 SX is killer wheel and will hold on N* or Mammoth. The new SX is redesigned and weight same as XL's but wider (21mm vs 19) and stronger.
No worries man, the Nomad is coming back together and will be ready by Sun. I have no intention to ride Demo on the BlurXC.
New handlebar and front der. should be in tomorrow.

Would the Blackspire Stinger work with 2x9 setup? Seems pretty light and clean solution.

I thougt the Gamut G25 would work as well, but it seems only compatible with single ring.

Have you replaced your Nomad bearings already? The enduromax kit comes with bearings only, no seals/orings, and I need to replace those too.

Wheels seem ok for now. I will swap the new Azonic Outlaws when riding N*.

See you Sunday.
ZT

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
No issues with Blackspire and dual ring setup (that's what it's designed for)

I changed lower bearings last winter. Caps and axles were fine and I don't recall o-rings on the lowers, are there are any? After 2.5 seasons lower bearings become gritty (you can fell it by rotating with finger) but still working strong. I just have nothing to do in terms of upgrades so went with this one. Enduro Max $16 a pop x4 + labor and visit to PTB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.