Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to make my 08 Nomad a bit more DH friendly since I started going to a few more parks lately. The DH parks in Ontario aren't that great, so instead of selling the Nomad, and buying a DH bike, I ended up keeping the Nomad, and swapped a few parts around. I picked up a 2010 Marz 66 RC3 Ti, and a KS adjustable post, and sold my 2010 Talas for about the same money for the Marz and post.

Then I send my DHX 5 to PUSH for their MX mod, and so far, the rear end is just so plush. I can't wait until the snow melts!

Here she is with all the mods!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
b-kul said:
sick! how much does it weigh? is it still praticle to use as a trail bike?
Thanks :) I think it'll end up around 35 - 37 pounds in the end. I haven't weighed it yet. The fork and seat post should have put 2 pounds onto the bike. I ride my Blur LT with a 150mm float most of the time anyways, so the Nomad will be mostly used for DH or when I head out for a slow group ride with people from work :cool:

b-kul said:
oh btw in the first pic what is that wire that seems conected to nothing?
I also swapped the drive train. Sold the X9/XT kit for a X0/XTR. That cable is my rear shifter housing. I haven't gotten my shifter cables in the mail, so the bike is not completely finished yet :(

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
macming said:
Thanks :) I think it'll end up around 35 - 37 pounds in the end. I haven't weighed it yet. The fork and seat post should have put 2 pounds onto the bike. I ride my Blur LT with a 150mm float most of the time anyways, so the Nomad will be mostly used for DH or when I head out for a slow group ride with people from work :cool:

I also swapped the drive train. Sold the X9/XT kit for a X0/XTR. That cable is my rear shifter housing. I haven't gotten my shifter cables in the mail, so the bike is not completely finished yet :(
hahaha i see. sounds like you have a pretty sweet quiver!

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
Blksocks said:
If you don't know what your bike weighs, try to look each part up and add the grams up to get an estimate.
and then tack on a couple more pounds. i did that and my bike should weigh 32.5 pounds but it really weighs closer to 33.5 or 34 pounds.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I weighed it in Moab and it came in at 33.5 pounds, since then I went from a 160mm Van to a 180mm 66 Ti. Plus I added the chain guide, wider bar and the KS post. So I'm thinking 35 - 36 pounds should be pretty close :)

It still pedals like a dream and should climb pretty well. The nomad will rarely be the first up a mountain anyways, so I'm not too worried about weight on this bike :)

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
b-kul said:
and then tack on a couple more pounds. i did that and my bike should weigh 32.5 pounds but it really weighs closer to 33.5 or 34 pounds.
But it works, lol. My AM build = 13 220 grams = 29.1451111 pounds. The only thing I didn't add was the cables and cable housing. :skep:

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
b-kul said:
At least;) Last time I put up my AM bike on the paper it weight 30.5 lbs that's after 1 additional lb for misc items, actual weight? 33.7lbs. Claimed weight and actual usually not encouraging.

BTW macming, what's your frame weight with shock?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
saturnine said:
that will do well at kelso.
Indeed! I rode the Nomad at Kelso last fall before these upgrades, and it was a blast. It should even better now :)

The bike even did well at Blue, but I wanted to make it even better.

mimi1885 said:
At least Last time I put up my AM bike on the paper it weight 30.5 lbs that's after 1 additional lb for misc items, actual weight? 33.7lbs. Claimed weight and actual usually not encouraging.

I find there are always some hidden surprises with claim weights :) I got a few pounds that I could lose, so I don't really mind a few extra pounds to have a burlier build. Plus I've already got a really light bike that I'm afraid of breaking.

nightnerd said:
Nice job. That is a great built for for this part of the country. You should definitely bring it up to Bromont or Mont-Sainte-Anne. You will have a blast.
Thanks! I was talking to my DH friends about doing some trips within 8 hours of Ontario in Quebec, NY and NJ. Also, I was thinking of going to BC for a week this summer. Probably ride North Shore, Squasmish, and Whilster :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Before these upgrades, I actually took this Nomad to Moab for a week last year. It weighed 33.5 pounds back then with a 160mm Van.

The bike climbed pretty well considering its weight, and my friend and I were always the first ones at the bottom of the hill ;) and not always the last one up.

I remember riding Amassa Back with the Nomad, and was that ever a chore! Climbing 2000 ft (may be longer) for an hour or so straight, but the ride down was well worth it.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
Blksocks said:
But it works, lol. My AM build = 13 220 grams = 29.1451111 pounds. The only thing I didn't add was the cables and cable housing. :skep:
its pretty much a mountain bike law that your calculated weight and actual weight will vary. it just seem to always happen. throw your bike on a scale and i bet is a few pounds heftier than 29 lbs.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mimi1885 said:
At least;) Last time I put up my AM bike on the paper it weight 30.5 lbs that's after 1 additional lb for misc items, actual weight? 33.7lbs. Claimed weight and actual usually not encouraging.

Oh, the frame with shock should be in he 7.5 - 8 pound range. I never stripped the bike to weight the frame :(

I just got the MX mod from PUSH as well where they remove some parts from the DHX, I don't know if that makes any difference. Also, I'm running a 500 pound Ti spring, so that should save me 1/4 - 1/2 pound over a steel spring :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.