Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
beer is good
530 Posts
One more question on your wheelset- Are the black Nextie logos decals? Or are the logos painted onto the rim? If they're just decals I can always remove them if I don't like them. I'm having logo commitment issues... ;)
I went with gray hoping for a dark gray though...definitely not a sticker you can remove...looks painted or printed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
One more question on your wheelset- Are the black Nextie logos decals? Or are the logos painted onto the rim? If they're just decals I can always remove them if I don't like them. I'm having logo commitment issues... ;)
They are painted on i believe. You can barely tell they are there. I asked for black symbols.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welp nextie fully paid for my two wheel rebuilds and the extra 16 spokes. Awesome customer service. Hopefully going forward they learn from this and it doesnt happen to anyone else. They assured me that i am the only one with issues like i had so far... luck of the draw. Maybe the worker was excited about Chinese new years and half assed my spokes haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ordered my wheelset from Nextie. Went with the 40mm (33mm ID) wheels, built up with 350s. Once they arrive I'll post pics along with a review and write up of my experience.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just got my Nextie wheels. I was concerned with build quality...and rightfully so...

Spokes look pretty long! What do you guys think? Really hard to photograph. The worst ones are probably 5-7mm past the nipple, best ones are maybe 2mm. I can't even believe they would thread on that far. Needless to say...I'm NOT super stoked.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Recent Nextie customer as well. My experience has been reasonably positive so far.

Placed an order for a pair of 650b 28mm internal asym rims on the final day of the sale last month. Emailed Brian 4 days later asking if I could switch from 32h to 28h. He replied within 12hr saying that they could do it, but it would set my order back roughly 3 days. Fine by me.

Received my rims earlier this week about a month after placing the order, which isn't too bad in my opinion considering they were back ordered due to the sale and I had the extra 3 day delay. Build quality seems excellent, but there is one tiny yet visible scratch on one of the rim's lips. My rims do not have the rough surface along the rim bed others mentioned earlier in this thread. ERD of both rims measures roughly 541.5mm to the nipple bed, which is within a mm of Nextie's claimed 541mm. Weights are about 429 and 430g compared to the claimed 410g.

I'm satisfied as long as they hold up well. Can't wait to build them up and get them on my bike!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'll second your experience. The rims look great and you can't beat the price on DT Swiss 240 hubs. It's just the build quality that seems to be an issue...

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'll second your experience. The rims look great and you can't beat the price on DT Swiss 240 hubs. It's just the build quality that seems to be an issue...
Yeah, it definitely sounds like building them yourself or having a local shop do it is the way to go.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I ordered 2x 29AM35 rims. Leftovers from discontinued model. 28mm ID, 35mm OD.

I asked a bunch of questions prior to ordering on ebay... all answered with in 24hrs.

Shipped 2 days after purchase, and arrived 2wks BEFORE committed delivery date. Nice.

Build quality looks great. Measured spoke bed thickness on one rim and all are consistent with 1-2 thicker areas.

I haven't done any more ... traveling for a few weeks. I'll post more build sets is in a few.weeks.

Build spec is:
NXT29AM35 RIMS 32h
DT SWISS 240 15qr front, 12/142 rear 36t ratchet
Brass nipples
Spokes: Sapim laser, D-light, or DT revs 3x/3x
Bike:Yeti SB95c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got my shipment a few days ago and just opened up the boxes. 2x wheelsets and an extra rim. All 32h 27.5 asym 38mm. 1 pair on non-boost 240s and the other on boost 240s.

Upon unboxing, build quality looks good. Asym orientation is correct, and spokes do not protrude beyond nipples. I'm a little bummed the 240s came with the 18t engagement gear, but whatever.

1st ride will be a while. There's still several feet of snow around here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nextie 27.5 40mm review

Ready for the full write up of my Nextie experience? Well, you're going to get it. Before placing my order I reached out to Brian at Nextie a few times and he always responded within one day to answer my questions. After much agonizing, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered up this wheelset:

Rims: NXT27AM40 (40mm external/ 33mm internal), 27.5", Matte, UD weave, 32 spoke holes, black decals

Hubs: DT Swiss 350, Boost spacing, J-bend, 6 bolt, XD driver

Spokes: Pillar PSR X-Tra 1420, black brass nipples

I initially ordered with alloy nipples on accident and contacted Brian through email, asking him to update my order with brass nipples, which he was able to do no problem.

Then came the waiting period...

I paid for shipping though fedex since it was only a few bucks more than the cheapest option and much faster (I'm in Colorado). I ordered the wheelset on February 25th and it shipped on March 8th and I received the wheels on March 13th, just over 2 weeks after ordering.

As you very well know, new wheels day was about as close to Christmas morning as a dad in his mid 30s is going to get. So, let's get down to the details-

First, the box was pretty beat up when it got to me. But luckily the wheels inside were protected nicely and there were no issues whatsoever from shipping. I unboxed the wheelset and the first thing I noticed was that the hubs were not 6 bolt, like I ordered, but were actually center lock! More on this below on how Brian fixed this for me-

The wheels looked fantastic out of the box! While my n=1 observations is definitely not extensive, I can say that the wheelset I received looked every bit as good as any other high end rim I've handled. Last weekend I was at the North America Handmade bike show in Salt Lake City, where I handled several different wheels from Derby, Knight, Enve, etc and the Nextie wheels on par with those. There were no rough spots that I could find anywhere on the rims, including inside the rim. Just pure smooth goodness, like my back after a good shaving.

After reading through the posts on this site and the issues that people have had with build quality of the wheels, I was nervous to say the least (I can neither confirm nor deny that I pooed a little after reading the post about the spokes extending past the nipples quite far...). However, checking each individual spoke whole to look at the spoke/nipple, each looks good. I can see the spoke, but nothing extending much past the nipple. I don't have any way of testing spoke tension at home, but I did feel how tight spokes were with my hand, and pluck them to test tension/dish between drive and non drive sides- everything appears to be built correctly. And there's not much to be said about the 350s- high quality, no issues there.

Now, everything I've said to this point needs to be taken with one caveat- this is all about initial build quality. Just like those stupid Chevy commercials with live actors bragging about how many Chevys win awards for JD Power initial build quality, that doesn't necessarily translate to a great long lasting car. So who knows what will become of this wheelset, but so far so good and I have no complaints yet. My plan was to ride the wheels for about 100 miles and then take them into my local shop to have them trued and looked over.

Setting the wheels up tubeless was quick and easy- I use one layer of thin strapping tape for strength over the spoke holes, then a layer of Scotch 8896 for the tubeless functionality, which is boss. Stan's sealant is what I used with no issues there either.

I weighed the wheels individually- the rear was 911 grams, the front was 796 grams, totaling 1707 grams. This is a little under the expected weight that I had calculated.

My tire setup- on the rear I'm running a Maxxis DHR II WT 2.4, and on the front I'm running a Specialized Butcher 2.6. I haven't measured the width of each of the tires yet, but the first day I inflated them both to the max PSI and let them sit overnight. I'll update with some pics measuring the actual width of the tires.

Now, for the best part, the first ride! I've only ridden them once so far, just a quick after work ride up Hall Ranch in Lyons, CO, and they were phenomenal. I rode the Ibis 741 wheels last year and these wheels felt very similar- laterally stiff and responsive. Corning was precise and the ride was not overly harsh.

I've posted a few pics here of the wheelset. Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to answer anything I can. Happy riding.

PS- The rest of the story on the center lock hubs issue- The hubs came with the 6 bolt adapters, but after talking to a friend who used the adapters and my local mechanic who said they'd seen many people have them loosen frequently, I did not want to use rotor adapters on my brand new wheelset. I contacted Brian again, sending him some pictures of the center lock hubs, explaining the situation to him. He said they had a supplier issue no longer offering 6 bolt hubs for 350s, they just shipped them with center lock conversion kits. However, he offered to pay for new center lock rotors, which I took him up on and I think was fair. Once again, not ideal to have the issue to begin with, but Nextie was quick and fair in resolving the problem in a very fair way.

Wheel 1.jpg Wheel 2.jpg Wheel 3.jpg Wheel 4.jpg Wheel 5.jpg Wheel 6.jpg Wheel 7.jpg Wheel 8.jpg Wheel 9.jpg

·
Registered
634 Posts
I ordered 2x 29AM35 rims. Leftovers from discontinued model. 28mm ID, 35mm OD.

I asked a bunch of questions prior to ordering on ebay... all answered with in 24hrs.

Shipped 2 days after purchase, and arrived 2wks BEFORE committed delivery date. Nice.

Build quality looks great. Measured spoke bed thickness on one rim and all are consistent with 1-2 thicker areas.

I haven't done any more ... traveling for a few weeks. I'll post more build sets is in a few.weeks.

Build spec is:
NXT29AM35 RIMS 32h
DT SWISS 240 15qr front, 12/142 rear 36t ratchet
Brass nipples
Spokes: Sapim laser, D-light, or DT revs 3x/3x
Bike:Yeti SB95c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Build is done.
Weights:
Front 788gr (65gr less than alloy wheel)
Rear 914gr (85gr less than alloy wheel)

Tape: Scotch Blue strapping tape 25mm width https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-...7-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

Tires:
Front: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Wide-Trail
Rear: Specialized Purgatory GRID Casing 2.3

Tubeless set up was the easiest out of any rim for me in years (DT Swiss, Stans, WTB, etc)... floor pump only and no crazy pumping, just pop pop pop. Done.

Build: mostly straightforward, but .... http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/carbon-wheel-building-woes-1043228.html

Initial ride report (based on total ride time of about 5hrs) and comparison to WTB KOM i23 laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs. same tires.

Rear impact: snappier acceleration, better tire profile (better bite and cornering). Stiffer. Going uphill, there's little impact. Going downhill or going fast is really improved. I think this tire on this wheel shows its limits and I'll be going back to a maxxis tire next.

Front Impact: much better traction and tire is noticeably wider... almost 29+ territory. Monstrous traction. Very stiff.

Overall, it's an improvement, but I've only ridden a little so far. Will keep testing on common trails and will report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Only have 2 mellow rides on mine tubed, no idea how i feel about them but they seem awesome. Waiting on the season to start before adding stans but i have them taped and using the tubes to ultra seal the tape down haha.

They feel super light compared to my fatbike all winter (duh). Seem to give some serious grip to my xr1 weenie xc tires. Dont remember what my stock xc wheels felt like to compare.

I did grab a 36t ratchet, wasnt sure on the durability on the 54t. The 18t over rocks rotates too much and the chain twangs for mercy

Needing a gravel set next, my stockers are 2080g... even if i have to take them in and get the LBS to check the tension and spoke lock them its still a good deal, specially up in canada. Your getting spokes and 2 hubs for the price of what a rear hub costs here.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I built a set of Wild Dragon II for my fatbike, took a while for production of 3K Glossy, but that's how I roll. Build was easy (Except for fishing out a couple spoke nipples) and they do tension fast. I pulled them to 110, using DT Comp and 350 Big Ride hubs. I love the deep dish spoke angle.
I can't comment on their wheel build quality, but since building my first, I'm hooked and prefer to do it myself. I can't claim to be an expert builder but I know what I've got- that includes boiled linseed for spoke lube.
Waiting for another set of Wild Dragon II (matte UD) and a set of Jungle Fox MK2 27.5 for the plus bike. She's going racing this summer.
Yes, it does take a little while to get rims from halfway around the world, but I love the product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi-new member here.
I ordered my nextie asymmetric 27mm inner during the Chinese new year, and got a good deal.Did not even have to wait for a week.i think 4 days it came.

I requested that the decals are not to be applied and instead sent with the package.
Anyways, the decals are waterslide for those of you wondering.

I laced the rims using a spoke calculator minding the offset measuremants- first time building on assymetric so I had to be aware which longer spokes went where and which side of the rim and obviously you will have the offset side to counteract the longer hub ends. I laced them perfectly with the right amount of tension and the spoke ends just barely topped the nipple ends.
The finish is nice and seems very well made... except that the holes won't allow the nipples to rotate as freely as to make the spokes straight.These occur only in spots -nipples are angled.I wished I knew that beforehand so I could have ordered the spokes a couple of mm longer , and then I can use washers to elevate the nipples' base. Or if I can find a suitable set of nipples that have wider and more domed shape at the bottom of the head

20170501_191622.jpg
20170501_191548.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Creep Tonight - What model of nipples did you use? Have you considered using DT Swiss Squorx nipples?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am building my 3rd set of Asymetric Nexties.

One suggestion is use the Squorx or Hex nipples and a driver from the rim bed to do the initial torque up of the nipples. Everything goes much nicer and you wont muck up the exterior nipples as you get it to roughly true and round.
I use the 38mm Wide Asym with Enduro layup as I am over #260.
If you use Chris King hubs you will likely end up with uniform spoke lengths for front and rear. On my 29's I am building now Boost Rear/20mmLDFront both wheels came out identical spoke lengths front and rear!! How cool is that?
I am super happy with these rims.

·
Registered
178 Posts
On the Wild Dragon II - Big Ride hubs, the extreme spoke angle had me a little concerned, so I used the DT Pro Head, which will swivel in the hole as the hole diameter allows.
The same spoke angle prevents use of a nipple driver- but I got a Spokey 4-side wrench.
It's the coolest build tool!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm building Jungle Fox 2 27.5 on SRAM 900 Boost hubs- 48 spokes at 257, 16 at 259!
Strange to think the "long" spokes are at right front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi- I bought my parts from R2- Sapim alloys and D lite spokes and they did not have squorx. And I did not consider squorx as I was after a color scheme.
I will try to re lace when I have the time and consider using squorx nipples.

Thanks!

61 - 80 of 82 Posts