Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I emailed nextie last night a bunch of questions. Next morning, answered all very well.

Im going to pull the trigger on some 26mm internals with dt hubs. They have till may to send them to me haha. Going to get then to build me the wheels as the hubs, spokes, and build on there is as much as a single hub from the Live To Play supplier here in Canada.

Was so hard finding wide rims that weren't boat anchors or had enough capacity. I emailed a few companies and they all stated yes you can xc race our trail rim rated at 220-230 lbs as its rated at that for trail use but ****... to close for comfort.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,844 Posts
Old thread, but I'll add my 2-cents.

I chose Nextie rims for my first set, it was them or LB. I emailed Maxwell about the selection of 'in-stock' rim from their website. Back then it wasn't a link to an eBay ad, it was just a list of models with prices that were usually lower than the other pages of Nextie rims because they weren't customizable with paint or stickers. While they weren't editable in any way, they also didn't have the lead time that many carbon rims do when you have options for what color paint or stickers.
I got my i30 Matte 32h with angled drilling for like $125 each. I chose the weights of the 2 rims from a list of about 8-9 and added the note to the comments box of the order. Both were exactly the requested 415g when placed on my food scale.

I placed the order at about 8pm AZ time, on a Friday and went to watch a movie. The next morning I had a email with a shipping number that was active and in transit. They were out the door in literally hours after payment. I had my rims held at the local FedEx, and picked them up 10 days after I clicked the 'buy' button.
Unwrapped and inspected in the parking lot, then taken straight to my builder on a Monday afternoon. I picked them up on Wed AM and rode them that night.
just under 2 weeks from "buy" to rolling.

Ive had them for several months now and they've never flinched- They've never even been re-trued, even getting banged up in the AZ desert.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I emailed nextie last night a bunch of questions. Next morning, answered all very well.

Im going to pull the trigger on some 26mm internals with dt hubs. They have till may to send them to me haha. Going to get then to build me the wheels as the hubs, spokes, and build on there is as much as a single hub from the Live To Play supplier here in Canada.

Was so hard finding wide rims that weren't boat anchors or had enough capacity. I emailed a few companies and they all stated yes you can xc race our trail rim rated at 220-230 lbs as its rated at that for trail use but ****... to close for comfort.
I ordered 2 pairs of the 26mm internal asyms with DT 350 hubs fully built up last month. One pair was like 11 or 12 days I think, the other 14. I have nothing but good to say about these rims. The finish on the inside is identical to the outside, superb. Such a good upgrade.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My experience with Nextie is very positive.
I started an e-mail chat with Maxwell asking about customization of a pair of asym 29er 38 mm with no assembly holes.
He'd been positive on customization and assured me that rims would have been produced and sent to my hotel in Beijing in 12 -13 days.
So I ordered rims by the end of october and on november 14 I found big carton box waiting for me at my arrival at Beijing hotel.
Promise kept and great product inside the box.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I ordered 2 pairs of the 26mm internal asyms with DT 350 hubs fully built up last month. One pair was like 11 or 12 days I think, the other 14. I have nothing but good to say about these rims. The finish on the inside is identical to the outside, superb. Such a good upgrade.
Yah i wanted 29-30mm but they didnt come asymmetric and were alot heavier.

I was like eh... whats 3mm vs 100g. Im running 2.2" xr1 tires or 2.1" fasttracs anyways.

Max has been great. I ordered dec 23 and i guess they have been having trouble sourcing a 148 boost 240 hub, they ordered some from the states, should be in next week and they are shipping it before the end of the month

As i said before. Dont need them till may anyways, but the updates are very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Wheels came, fast shipping. Shipped the 18th of jan got here the 25th.

Only issue is the asymmetrical front wheel is wrong. The offset matches the back, should be flipped to compensate for the rotor....

I emailed them to see what to do.

Im hoping i can get a quote locally to flip the rim and re lace it and they will just refund me that. It going to be a bit more than shipping one way that route.

·
Land of the 230+
2,552 Posts
Only issue is the asymmetrical front wheel is wrong. The offset matches the back, should be flipped to compensate for the rotor....
Wow, that is a severe screwup on their part. You'd think they would have noticed that either the dish was off by a huge amount, or the spoke tension was severely uneven. If they do refund you the money to have the LBS re-lace the rim, have them go over the rear wheel too. If the build was poor enough to lace the offset wrong, who knows what else they did poorly too.

That,s a bit of a disappointment, since I am quite happy with their rims. Makes me question what QC short cuts they might take throughout the layup process. But if the build on mine is bad, I have nobody to blame but myself.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,844 Posts
That is a pretty major screw up. I'd 100% expect them to make it right.
That said- in doing the research for my carbon rim purchase, my understanding is that all the Chinese carbon rim companies basically use the same facility, and the vast majority if not all the carbon fiber in the world is made by Toray. Companies have proprietary (or at least specific) molds and specify the layup configuration that the plant in Xiamen executes and ship to the respective brand. They don't actually make the product in-house, but do assemble the wheel and sell them.

I'm no expert, but that's my understanding.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts

Wheels came, fast shipping. Shipped the 18th of jan got here the 25th.

I emailed them to see what to do.

Im hoping i can get a quote locally to flip the rim and re lace it and they will just refund me that. It going to be a bit more than shipping one way that route.
Depending on the hub the spokes may need to be replaced (different lengths)

·
Land of the 230+
2,552 Posts
I think Toray is in Japan, not China. They produce the UD and woven fiber cloth, which is shipped to China where the layup and construction is done. Ive heard arguments both supporting and debunking the belief that there's one big manufacturer in china, and everything comes off the same floor, regardless who you buy from. But you have a point, even if the guy building the wheels is new or just lazy, he's got nothing to do with the people doing the carbon layup.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Wow, that is a severe screwup on their part. You'd think they would have noticed that either the dish was off by a huge amount, or the spoke tension was severely uneven. If they do refund you the money to have the LBS re-lace the rim, have them go over the rear wheel too. If the build was poor enough to lace the offset wrong, who knows what else they did poorly too.

That,s a bit of a disappointment, since I am quite happy with their rims. Makes me question what QC short cuts they might take throughout the layup process. But if the build on mine is bad, I have nobody to blame but myself.
I feel like the reason behind this 100% is their logos. The Nextie wraps the whole rim, and the logos are readable from the same side of the bike the way they laced them.

Every review ive read people havent had issues with their builds... i must be the first asymmetric build, or the first to notice. My diverge and top fuel have factory asymmetrical wheels so it was easy to see and figure out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel like the reason behind this 100% is their logos. The Nextie wraps the whole rim, and the logos are readable from the same side of the bike the way they laced them.

Every review ive read people havent had issues with their builds... i must be the first asymmetric build, or the first to notice. My diverge and top fuel have factory asymmetrical wheels so it was easy to see and figure out.
Any update from Nextie on the messed up asymmetrical wheel build? I'm considering ordering the same wheelset you have, but now you've made me second guess the decision. I'm hoping that they respond back that this was a one-off error and will pay you to fix the issue with your LBS rather than sending the wheel back to China...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Any update from Nextie on the messed up asymmetrical wheel build? I'm considering ordering the same wheelset you have, but now you've made me second guess the decision. I'm hoping that they respond back that this was a one-off error and will pay you to fix the issue with your LBS rather than sending the wheel back to China...
They had Chinese new year and got back to me on the 7th and requested a picture. I sent them one, now waiting to hear from them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,400 Posts
They had Chinese new year and got back to me on the 7th and requested a picture. I sent them one, now waiting to hear from them.
Carbon speed has been out until the 10th or 12th, they emailed me way before when I ordered a frame and warned me about the new year. They should be getting back in a couple days.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
They confirmed the wheel was laced wrong, are compensating me for my lbs to fix, plus a bit for the hassle.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
K well I was going to hold my tongue but i dont want anyone to run into the same issues i did.

As above they laced the asymmetrical rim wrong on the front.

They refunded me to get the wheel fixed at my LBS.

My lbs tested the spokes and they were at 60kgf, they should have been ~100kgf so they said bring the rear in and we will see if its loose too.

Bring rear in and also 60kgf. He tries to tighten a spoke and its bottomed out, cant tighten any more, he removes a spoke and they didnt use oil or grease on the spoke threads so torquing the nipple is going to twist the spoke. No thread lock applied.

Soooo right now they are going to rebuild both wheels properly, try to reuse the front spokes and possible have to put 16 in the rear to replace the ones bottoming out.

If you want nexties.... order just the rims and get someone local to do the rest, or take them in after and get checked out.

What i got is still as light as enve HV 60s and 1/3rd of the price... even after this clusterf*ck. turns out they are i27mm not i26mm which im happier with.

Oh and just for piece of mind i called dt swiss and gave them the s/ns off the hubs and they are legit.

So going forward im going to hope my lbs will be able to use as many spokes as possible and if its more than what they refunded me scan them the receipt and ask for more money back.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,844 Posts
Glad they made it right. That's good to hear.
I'm still loving my Nextie rims, but even before hearing of the poor assembly, I take my rims and hubs to a wheel builder and let them figure out the spoke math. If there's issues, they make it right.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Glad they made it right. That's good to hear.
I'm still loving my Nextie rims, but even before hearing of the poor assembly, I take my rims and hubs to a wheel builder and let them figure out the spoke math. If there's issues, they make it right.

Lbs is going to make them perfect. Still a really good price on what i got. 240s hubs thru Live To Play would have been like $1000

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lbs is going to make them perfect. Still a really good price on what i got. 240s hubs thru Live To Play would have been like $1000
One more question on your wheelset- Are the black Nextie logos decals? Or are the logos painted onto the rim? If they're just decals I can always remove them if I don't like them. I'm having logo commitment issues... ;)

41 - 60 of 82 Posts