Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my intention here is to provide a little insight for anyone interested in ordering rims from Nextie bike.
I've been running a set of 29" Stans Flow rims wrapped around Chris King hubs for the last few years. As many have noticed, they are fairly noodlish (not really a word), especially under my 220lb arse.
I've been carbon curious for a while, and saw Nextie rims as a "fairly" inexpensive way to give carbon a shot. I did a little Internet browsing and found their NXT29H08 29"x40mm rim intriguing, so I placed an order on May 8th through PayPal. Following was the typical PayPal confirmation and receipt for payment of $431, and an order confirmation from Nextie.
On May 11th I sent Nextie bike an email asking if these rims would be shipped this week. Brian Hsia promptly responded saying "I am not sure, we'll try to." Ok, patients isn't my strong suit, but I'll try.
On May 15th I emailed Brain again asking for a Status update. Again he was prompt with a response, saying "I am afraid we'll ship them next week, they are still under production." Ok, that's cool. I'm so far impressed with the communication from these guys. So another week goes by, May 22nd I send anther email asking for a status update... No response. May 25th again, asking for a status update... Nothing.
The intention of this post is not to bad-mouth Nextie Bike, but rather help others understand what to expect when ordering directly from these Chinese manufactures. I will continue to update this post as information comes available, and hope to conclude it with pictures of the rims as they arrive. Maybe even a ride report once I build them up..

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
A co-worker of mine is dealing w/ a similar situation, only w/ building a house. He has been trying to act as a contractor, and his attempts at contacting the wholesalers/manufacturers is similar to yours.

If you want the best price and decent quality, you might have to put of with this [email protected], if you want to pay a bit more and have great quality, you chose Derby, ENVE, Whisky...etc.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Doesn't Nextie's website state there's a lead time to do rim orders? I seem to recall reading it when perusing their catalog of models. Yep...right under support menu for ordering...

We will send your products within 7-10 business days after you place your order, but the lead time might varies due to order amounts and production line process.

You placed the order you say May 8, its now only at 12 business days.

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, just recieved an update from Brian, he says "sorry for the delay, production line has been busy. They should be completed tomorrow." I will post again when they ship.

I'm not looking for a debate over what manufacturer is better or worse, I'm just trying to create an informative post about what to expect when ordering directly from China, specifically Nextie. I hope to conclude with a build and ride report. There was very little info on this company when I was researching. If others have experience with them please let us hear about it.

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just sent an email to Brian asking if the the rims shipped on Wednesday as anticipated. I never got any shipping confirmation. Today is three weeks since ordered and paid for.

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Today, June 1st, I just sent another email. "Hi Brian, I didn't receive shipping confirmation last week. Do you know when my rims will ship?"
I've decided that if I don't have shipment confirmation by the end of this week that I will contact Paypal about an incomplete order. I think that's fair considering that on Friday it will have been one month since my order was placed.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I ordered 2 of the same rims on 3/3 then added a third on 3/10. They shipped around 3/25 and I got them on 4/3. If it helps I'm happy with them and haven't broken them yet unlike two prior Light Bicycle rims!

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update- I just received an email from Brian, Rims shipped. 25 days since ordered. And he is giving me a carbon water bottle cage plus a 5% return as an apology for the extended wait time. I was getting pretty burned out on waiting, but I'm glad to see Nextie making the gesture.
Next update will be about the shipping process.

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered 2 of the same rims on 3/3 then added a third on 3/10. They shipped around 3/25 and I got them on 4/3. If it helps I'm happy with them and haven't broken them yet unlike two prior Light Bicycle rims!
Did you also
Go with the 40mm version?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I ordered 2 27.5 40mm rims from them on 5/11/2015. I received them about an hour ago in California. I e-mailed them once asking for a status update and took a day or two before they replied but they did reply. The rims I received looked pretty good out of the box. Hopefully they'll build up without issues

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered 2 27.5 40mm rims from them on 5/11/2015. I received them about an hour ago in California. I e-mailed them once asking for a status update and took a day or two before they replied but they did reply. The rims I received looked pretty good out of the box. Hopefully they'll build up without issues
Excellent! Pictures? And let us know how they build up. Also what's the actual ERD VS advertised ERD?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Excellent! Pictures? And let us know how they build up. Also what's the actual ERD VS advertised ERD?
The ERD is the one thing that I'm curious about. Nextie's website stated those rims should have a ERD of 542. I e-mailed Brian and he confirmed that the ERD is 542 but when I measured them, they were 547 using my measuring methods. In all my previous chinese carbon rim purchases from Light-Bicycle, the ERD has never been off by 1 or 2mm at most.
I almost ordered spokes based on the 542 number. Luckily I decided to wait
I think with these chinese carbon rims...its best to wait and measure before you get the spokes

·
Registered
914 Posts
oh and just my luck, the spoke lengths I need is out of stock so I guess I'll have to wait some more to build them up

·
Registered
980 Posts
4 weeks to shipment with 1 to 2 weeks in transit seems normal. The waiting is the hardest part. I have had mine since April 2014 and I'm very happy with them. In the case of carbon rims, if you want instant gratification, you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I also had to wait 3-4 weeks for my 40 mm 29" rims. Shipping was very fast; only like 3 days from China to Sweden. But then they got stuck in customs of course, which added a couple of days.

I'm very confused about how to measure ERD. Everyone seems to have their own method and the difference can be like 3-4 mm depending on how you do it. According to Nextie ERD is 580 mm, but I measure 584 mm (from the bottom of the screwdriver slot in the nipple).

The rims look really good on the outside, but the side facing the tire is quite rough. Not that I think it matters though. Perhaps I'll have to polish them to get the tape to stick.

DSC00367.jpg

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also had to wait 3-4 weeks for my 40 mm 29" rims. Shipping was very fast; only like 3 days from China to Sweden. But then they got stuck in customs of course, which added a couple of days.

I'm very confused about how to measure ERD. Everyone seems to have their own method and the difference can be like 3-4 mm depending on how you do it. According to Nextie ERD is 580 mm, but I measure 584 mm (from the bottom of the screwdriver slot in the nipple).

The rims look really good on the outside, but the side facing the tire is quite rough. Not that I think it matters though. Perhaps I'll have to polish them to get the tape to stick.

View attachment 993560
Do you have any pictures of the rough surface that you are talking about?

·
Registered
914 Posts
The rough surface is normal for Chinese carbon rims. I have 5 other sets of Chinese carbon rims and every single one of them look like that

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update. I just checked with tracking through EMS (the shipper), rims cleared customs yesterday 6-9. I should probably see them by the weekend. I'll have pictures next.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts