Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my new VP Free, ti coil, 888R works, DT swiss FR hubs, Sun MTX rims, Race Face bars, stem, crank, post, headset, Evil guide, Maxxis tires, X.O., XTR cassette. Its the sweetest bike I have ever ridden. The other 2 are my friends

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
3? i hate you.

question: on the first pic, it looks like the lower roller is just about touching the chainstay. i ask because i usually put mine a bit more forward than that, but it doesn't look like you can. any issues with it in that position so far?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
omg, thats a dream ride dude. i love it, thats the grey powder coat? If im certain none of them are anodized right? What are the weights of those beast! I have never seen those rims? Sun Ringle? Like a 321 or r they lighter? Tubeless or not? Sweet rides. thats like almost 12grand sitten there! awesome, where do u guys ride?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The rims are Sun MTX I'm running them tubeless with stans. The two with 888 weight right at 39. It is a DMR seat it;s big and comfy. I have not had any issues with the guide hitting the frame. This bike is by far the sickest ride I have evered owned

·
Registered
167 Posts
Right on! You have the build that I am pursuing with mine. I have been curious of the Daibolus cranks and the e-thirteen DRS and I have expressed my concern and asked questions in various other forums and with EVIL, RaceFace and Santa Cruz. All getting different replies.

Are you using a standard clamp derailer or did you go the e-type and are using the added frame clamp?

If you are using the E-type derailer, are you using the e-type backplate from e-thirteen with the DRS? Evil states that if I use an e-type derailer, I need to use their e-type backplate with the DRS.

Did you have any hassle with the Duabolus cranks? What I mean is, did you have to space the cranks out funky or grind the chainstay swing link bearing protrusion on the non-drive side?

These issues and the hassle with external bearing cranks and the VP-Free are discussed by Speedgoat cycles in their build-up here: http://www.speedgoat.com/feature-vpfree.asp

How much did you have to grind the e-13 bashguard o fit with the diabolus? Was it a big deal?

Whatever method you used for this crank/chainguide setup, do you find your chain line to be good? Or is it off slightly and you are just dealing with it?

I know this is alot of questions, but any answers you can provide me will help me with my build up and would be much appreciated.

Nice bike.

Thanks

Edit:
Upon further inspection, I can see that you are just using an e-13 guide with no front derailer. Some of the questions still pertain however.
I also see that your freinds bikes have front derailers and diabolus cranks. Well at least the black one does that I can see. MAybe they can provide any answers to my questions as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
BJ hates u...

the new 05 888rs are sick...how do they peform man...and whats ur ride like if uve rode it...sweet set ups tho...are all u dudes sponsored no ur VP-Frees...:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had not one single problem with the cranks,guide, or frame. There was no weird spacing issues. The only thing is that you have to grind out the bashguard to fit the wide crank arm

·
Registered
211 Posts
Slayer check your PM's.....

Nice Free's

You will need to rotate your SRS guide, more, however you will not be able to, the reason you need to rotate it, is so when you sit into your travel and use your travel that the roller will retain tension throughout your travel, as of right now it will not..... Race Face will have a longer spindle, 83mm shell and new sleeve coming out in the near future so that you can achieve the proper 55mm chainline and 100% correctly install a SRS or DRS as of right now you can install it as you see here, but will not be able to 100% correctly get it installed and use it to it's potential.

There will also be a tool available to press and pull spindles for race face diablous cranks in the near future, so you the consumer or your LBS will be able to replace your spindle with the proper one.

so until race face releases a longer spindle, sleeve and 83mm cups we will either have to do without e13 guides or run them not quite installed properly. I wont be running one, and I will be using a Envy Double e2 until I can get a longer spindle just so I can have some chain security.

as of right now I have mine set up with a standard front der. and dual ring diablous and everything shifts and works fine, using about a 52.5-53mm chainline achieved with spacing not listed in the race face directions

·
I Just Ride
284 Posts
Hey Castle

"as of right now I have mine set up with a standard front der. and dual ring diablous and everything shifts and works fine, using about a 52.5-53mm chainline achieved with spacing not listed in the race face directions"

what size front drlr did you get and is it top or bottom pull although with the newer ones I don't think that matters. I called SC and they wouldn't tell meanything besides get an E type. They said it wouldn't work even though I'm only going to use two chainrings. Right now I've got a single on it but I've got an atlas crankset ordered.

Thanks

PCC

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been riding my free for about a month and a half now. Not once have I dropped a chain or missed a shift. SO not one single problem with my guide or chainline

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.