Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a Titus 29er and a Haro Mary SS but I could not resist this frame that was sold on ebay. I built it with old parts I still had (except for the cranks). Turned out pretty nice and rides pretty good. However a bit surprising to me, I still prefer my Mary despite it is probably 4 pounds heavier.

The comfort of the Mary combined with the stability over rough stuff is simply amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nice.

Man that shot sure makes that red paint look fantastic :thumbsup: oh and nice One9 ;) On the One9 vs Mary, are the builds even similar or is that where the main weight is? I know the Mary frame should be a bit heavier. Is the cockpit set up the same between both bikes?

Supernormal said:
I already have a Titus 29er and a Haro Mary SS but I could not resist this frame that was sold on ebay. I built it with old parts I still had (except for the cranks). Turned out pretty nice and rides pretty good. However a bit surprising to me, I still prefer my Mary despite it is probably 4 pounds heavier.

The comfort of the Mary combined with the stability over rough stuff is simply amazing.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I like my Mary but that frame does look especially nice. More on the comparison would be very cool to hear.

We're pretty similar - a Titus 29er was my first 29er, now I ride a Mary, and just ordered an '09 Niner SIR9.

·
tardcore
821 Posts
Yes, please elaborate on the Mary vs. One9 and Ryder let us know on the SIR vs. Mary. I currently have a Mary and have been considering a lighter frame, I'm leaning towards a SIR... I've bought so many lighter weight parts for the Mary I could build a whole other bike at this point :)
LyNx, the Mary frame weighs 6lbs so the weigh diff is huge but I've heard that the Mary is stiff for steel but it's the only rigid ss I've riden so I have nothing to base anything else on.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You're comparing steel to scandium. I'd expect the steel to 'feel' more comfortable, but the scandium to feel a bit stiffer/more responsive. Also, like someone else stated are the cockpits setup the same? Seems like the riser bar on the one9 wouldn't be my first choice. I had a riser on my MCR and had to swap it for a flat bar and lower the stem in the stack before it felt right. Give the one9 some more time and I bet you'll warm up to it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tried some changes

Well initially the cockpit lenght was pretty much the same, I am riding a 120mm stem on the haro but only a 100 on the niner to compensate for the longer TT.
This weekend I swapped the bars and tried the niner with my trusted Mary bar.
Wow what a difference. Made me feel a lot more at home. I will give it some more leg time and see how it works....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts