Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post my my new bike over here. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I would appreciate it though if all comments concerning warranty would be left out of this thread, there are already plenty of threads concerning these issues.

Here is the build. I plan on using this as both a xc race bike. It will also be my every day bike so I couldn't build it extremely light.

18" Truth frame
White Brothers XC 1.0 fork
Magura Marta SL brakes
SRAM X-9 trigger shifters
XT front derailleur
SRAM X.0 rear derailleur
XT cassette (11-34)
SRAM chain (pc69)
American Classic ISIS bb
FSA Carbon Pro crankset
Hugi 240 hubs
Mavic 317 rims
XT quick releases
Stans no-tubes
Continental Explorer & Escape tire
Thomson stem & seatpost
Fizik Gobi saddle
FSA K-force low rise carbon bar
Scott foam grips
FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro
Crank brothers Candy SL pedals

I'm hoping to be able to take it for a trial run before the race on Sunday but not sure if that is going to happen. I would have taken it for it's maiden voyage yesterday if I hadn't screwed up and ordered the wrong front derailleur. The correct one is supposed to be here today so the bike will be ridable tonight. :D

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Beautiful bike

Congrats!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nice!

What weight did you end up with?

It's interesting, the Thomson stem and seatpost are like standard issues for Truths. Ellsworth should start packaging them with the frames! I would venture to say majority of the Truth owners got them...including me :)

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!

Not sure about the weight yet. I'm hoping to get a chance to weigh it this weekend. I am hoping for around 24.5 pounds.

As for the Thomson stem and seatpost they were both on the superlight that I took most of the parts from. They aren't the lightest parts out there but they are the most reliable. On something as important as a stem and seatpost I will take a little extra weight for the peace of mind they give me.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I'm curious about your impressions on the White Bros Fork. Have you spent any time n one? I've heard good things about them, but don't know anyone that actualy owns one.

Please post your ride impressions once you have some time inthe saddle.

Thanks

Great looking bike, btw.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
yeah, the build list looks

LowCel said:
Thanks everyone!

Not sure about the weight yet. I'm hoping to get a chance to weigh it this weekend. I am hoping for around 24.5 pounds.

As for the Thomson stem and seatpost they were both on the superlight that I took most of the parts from. They aren't the lightest parts out there but they are the most reliable. On something as important as a stem and seatpost I will take a little extra weight for the peace of mind they give me.
like it should be sub-25lb bike... nice...

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blue Shorts said:
I'm curious about your impressions on the White Bros Fork. Have you spent any time n one? I've heard good things about them, but don't know anyone that actualy owns one.

Please post your ride impressions once you have some time inthe saddle.

Thanks

Great looking bike, btw.
I love the White Brothers fork. I have been riding it for two years now and hope to get another two years out of it. I have had three of them now and in my opinion they are the best fork out there. There is absolutely nothing fancy about them. They are relatively light weight and perform flawlessly. If White Brothers had any desire to market and do a little advertising I believe you would be seeing them around a whole lot more.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pisgahproductions said:
I like the blue chainring bolts to match the bearings. I'll have to do that on the girlfriends black/black truth...
Well they actually matched my blue Superlight a little better but now that you mention it I guess they do match the bearings on the truth.

It's killing me not being able to ride this thing. I'm hoping the weather clears up for a couple of hours tomorrow so I can take it out and try to adjust everything a little.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
LowCel said:
I love the White Brothers fork. I have been riding it for two years now and hope to get another two years out of it. I have had three of them now and in my opinion they are the best fork out there. There is absolutely nothing fancy about them. They are relatively light weight and perform flawlessly. If White Brothers had any desire to market and do a little advertising I believe you would be seeing them around a whole lot more.
What kind of riding do you do. Technical...XC? How does the fork do on drops (nothing big) and G-outs?

I'll be looking for a lightweight fork to replace my Marathon S. I'm considering getting back into racing and can't bear to ride on another SID.

Thanks for the update.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ride mostly aggressive XC with quite a bit of technical riding. Around here (WV) there is a lot of rooty, rocky riding. The fork always performs flawlessly.

On a side note, for some reason the lockout is not working on it right now. I just took my fork apart for a quick cleaning, it took me about 10 minutes. I had to remove two bolts to perform the maintenance on it. The fork had about 1/4 cup of muddy water in the fork legs from the past couple of races I've had it in. They were extremely wet and muddy, I'm suprised there wasn't more damage honestly. Anyway, I have no idea how long the lockout has been messed up, I don't believe I have ever even used it.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the bike ended up weighing 24.75 pounds. Not too bad but I would like to get it a little lighter. Not sure if I will or not though.

Here it is after it's first race. Just a side note, it would be better to use a bike that you are somewhat familiar with when racing an unfamiliar course that is nothing but mud. Just a suggestion. :)

After the race I believe it weighed close to 35 pounds.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
wow, bike looks even better when dirty...

LowCel said:
I ride mostly aggressive XC with quite a bit of technical riding. Around here (WV) there is a lot of rooty, rocky riding. The fork always performs flawlessly.

On a side note, for some reason the lockout is not working on it right now. I just took my fork apart for a quick cleaning, it took me about 10 minutes. I had to remove two bolts to perform the maintenance on it. The fork had about 1/4 cup of muddy water in the fork legs from the past couple of races I've had it in. They were extremely wet and muddy, I'm suprised there wasn't more damage honestly. Anyway, I have no idea how long the lockout has been messed up, I don't believe I have ever even used it.
how do you like Fizik Gobi? what saddle did you have before Gobi?

i just got one to replace my WTB Laser Stealth...

BTW, you should replace OEM seals on the fork with Enduro Seals... ASAP!!!!

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am really happy with the Gobi. Last year I bought an Aliante for my roadie and I couldn't believe how comfortable it was. I figured that if it was so nice for the road then why not try the Gobi for the mtb. I haven't regretted it for a second. Before switching to Fizik I had Specialized Body Geometry saddles for about two years. They did the job for a while then one day they just weren't comfortable anymore. I'm not sure what happened.

As for the fork I am planning on sending it in to Eko sports in the very near future. After bragging about how great they are I've started having problems with it. It is making some knocking noise plus the rebound adjuster isn't working. I can't adjust damping or lock it out either. I figure after two hard years it could use a rebuild. I still love the fork it just needs a little TLC. My biggest problem right now is trying to figure out what fork I want to order to have as a back up. I can't miss any races because I don't have a fork.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
LowCel said:

I rarely, if ever, use a lockout on a fork...so it also wouldn't be an issue for me. 1/4 cup of water after 1 race is a lot (even a very muddy one), imo. Are your seals leaky...or did you accidentally aim the hose at it?

I like what sounds like a fork that's easy to work on. I do all my own bike maintenance.

Enjoy the ride.

p.s. I'm completely sick of mud. My last gazillion rides were in mud. I'm ready for the summer.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
yeah, fizik makes

LowCel said:
I am really happy with the Gobi. Last year I bought an Aliante for my roadie and I couldn't believe how comfortable it was. I figured that if it was so nice for the road then why not try the Gobi for the mtb. I haven't regretted it for a second. Before switching to Fizik I had Specialized Body Geometry saddles for about two years. They did the job for a while then one day they just weren't comfortable anymore. I'm not sure what happened.

As for the fork I am planning on sending it in to Eko sports in the very near future. After bragging about how great they are I've started having problems with it. It is making some knocking noise plus the rebound adjuster isn't working. I can't adjust damping or lock it out either. I figure after two hard years it could use a rebuild. I still love the fork it just needs a little TLC. My biggest problem right now is trying to figure out what fork I want to order to have as a back up. I can't miss any races because I don't have a fork.
some good saddles. i have aliante on my roadie, but also purchased arione for my cross bike... i'll tell you, arione beats aliante with regards to comfort... keep in mind that i am pretty big guy (205#) and arione was built for simeone who is also a big guy for a cyclist... soooo... i think i'll put arione on my colnago as well...

thanks for the run down on gobi... it is beautifully built saddle, now i need to give it a butt test...

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it helps any on 12/1/04 I weighed in at 220 pounds and the saddles felt great. As of right now I am about 176 pounds and they still feel great.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
holly crap...

LowCel said:
If it helps any on 12/1/04 I weighed in at 220 pounds and the saddles felt great. As of right now I am about 176 pounds and they still feel great.
that is some good weight losing program... nice job...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.