Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my latest find. I thought these were so hot back in the day. They ride like total butt, yet I still couldn't resist it's pull when it appeared on ebay. Much thanks to Shayne for the Record OR, it some how softens the total turdness of this bike. Both shocks work, dampers damp, the rear to a frighteningly slow rate. The paint is destroyed, chipped all to heck. But that OR just works so friggin nice. I rode it gently around the parking lot tonight. I am awaiting the parts to put it the right BB, so it has a Shimano in there currently(couldn't wait to finish it), but I did not tighten the cranks on, having dealt with my share of Shimano taper destroyed Campy cranks in my day:thumbsup: Any others here ride one, back in the day, or have one now? It's a freak for sure, akin to the Trek bike with the elastomer stack for a spring.......enjoy!:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
What's that saying about a bow?

A riding buddy had one of those years ago and he let me ride it once and started on a DH which for back then was quite the experience because it molded over stuff way more than what I was riding at the time which was a SlingShot I believe (so I am not one to cast turds around mind you) but as always the trail turned upward and that is when I asked if we could switch back now. He ended up giving up on it also after about a month.

As long as you're happy with it that is all that counts and the OR stuff is nice.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
yup, got one of those too!

I built it for my wife (never been offroad, never gonna). Bought the frame and fork off ebay. It was freshly powdercoated and both shocks rebuilt at a price I couldn't refuse.Added bits and pieces I had in my "shop" and think it turned out pretty nice. The best part is my wife likes it!

Attachments

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stan4bikes said:
both shocks rebuilt at a price I couldn't refuse
Nice! What rear shock is that? Not original as far as I can tell, they were all coil overs. That gives me ideas. The reboundon this is so slow, it packs up on a parking lot ride. Gotta be a better option in my boxes O stuff.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,446 Posts
I ran into a guy riding one of those one day. Actually he was sitting a the top of a hill and smoking what smelled a lot like a joint, and taking in the view. It was a sort of purple colour.

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
Yuck

Make sure you have some sag in the rear spring so you can get the inchworm effect on uphills and the backwards tug on the chain everywhere else:madman: Surely you can find something better to hang that Campy on...an older FSR? Ahh..the early days of suspension:D

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
azjeff said:
Make sure you have some sag in the rear spring so you can get the inchworm effect on uphills and the backwards tug on the chain everywhere else:madman: Surely you can find something better to hang that Campy on...an older FSR? Ahh..the early days of suspension:D
Older FSR? Ew! :D If I wanted vertical axle paths, maybe...... I'm an SP guy, all day. Now, I'm an inchworm guy too! I have a ProFlex 957, they actually made wheel suck an attribute, what'd they call it, ground control, some such thing. This 'dale just takes it to another level. I figure the campy is here to stay, the Delta, well, we'll see. :cool:

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sideknob said:
Actually he was sitting a the top of a hill and smoking what smelled a lot like a joint,
Anyone riding this as a daily rider, off road, would need some assistance in forgetting what a better bike feels like. Sounds like he had the right idea :p

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Uhg. I had one of those. Black and Purple. XT parts w/a ritchey crank. The parts were the good thing about it. I lived in CO at the time, and I think it survived maybe a half season before I snapped the swingarm. Shoulda kept the cranks....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I knew a guy in school who had one of those. I think that bike turned me against suspension for a couple of years. This and the Trek doughnut bike were the two first sussies I ever rode. No wonder it took me a while to warm up to the idea.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,670 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
So here's my latest find. I thought these were so hot back in the day. They ride like total butt, yet I still couldn't resist it's pull when it appeared on ebay. Much thanks to Shayne for the Record OR, it some how softens the total turdness of this bike. Both shocks work, dampers damp, the rear to a frighteningly slow rate. The paint is destroyed, chipped all to heck. But that OR just works so friggin nice. I rode it gently around the parking lot tonight. I am awaiting the parts to put it the right BB, so it has a Shimano in there currently(couldn't wait to finish it), but I did not tighten the cranks on, having dealt with my share of Shimano taper destroyed Campy cranks in my day:thumbsup: Any others here ride one, back in the day, or have one now? It's a freak for sure, akin to the Trek bike with the elastomer stack for a spring.......enjoy!:cool:
My brother had that exact bike back in 1993. He bought it new and sold it in 1996 for $900, in fact that could be his old one. Things that make you go hmmmm.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I don't know if it's "pretty" or "functional" but it rides nice on the street and it is a part of C'dale history. And like I said, my wife likes it, I don't have much coin in it, and it's in just like new condition...

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Older FSR? Ew! :D If I wanted vertical axle paths, maybe...... I'm an SP guy, all day. Now, I'm an inchworm guy too! I have a ProFlex 957, they actually made wheel suck an attribute, what'd they call it, ground control, some such thing. This 'dale just takes it to another level. I figure the campy is here to stay, the Delta, well, we'll see. :cool:
Oh yeah, ProFlex called it DIG IN geometry or something. If SP means single pivot I'm with ya. I rode a Catamount for a long time in Pa, worked great. Moved to Az and found out the Cat isn't the best for this riding. The really good trails also are really rocky and the Cat was beating me up pretty bad. And the high BB made steep drops (in the rocks) too scary. I've been riding a friends 98 FSR and find the plushness really nice. I've had every FSR design made except the latest and am ready to go back.

That Cannonball will make you appreciate hardtails and most every other suspension design:D

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Nice! What rear shock is that? .
Looks like a Risse to me but it could be a Fox Alps 4 (they started offering them around 93/94 and didn't have much stroke... the Foes FAB originally used two Alps 4s end to end to get a 2" stroke for the 3:1 leverage ratio frame and 6" travel).

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WTB-rider said:
However, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... err rider in this case.
That's why I invite critique! I have a soft spot for Cannondale, and the way they forge their own path, and do it their own way. I have a Super V, Jekyll, Prophet, and this one was missing to sort of complete the cycle. It is hands down, the worst riding bike I've been on, well, most FS from that time sucked. Someone mentioned the Trek doughnut bike, there's my baseline :p It will be beheld, far more than ridden. It may see a retro ride or two, then sit in my shop, inviting parking lot nostalgia rides. I will some day move the OR onto something else, their acquisition happened simultaneously, and the time period seemed to work........:D

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Dirtjunkie, does he live in CA? That's where this ones from.

Stan, don't get me wrong, I heap abuse on this thing, with a nostalgic smile on my face. I wouldn't have sunk a penny into it, if I didn't think it would be a fun project :thumbsup: And as for your wife's, that's a beauty, looks brand new, and as a path bike, it's probably a ton more comfortable than a HT. Particulary with that air shock on it. Was that original to the bike, or did you put it on?

AZJeff, have you tried an SP bikes without a high pivot? If I remember right, the Cat is pretty high, no? It's amazing what a modern platform shock does for an SP bike. As quiet and effiecient as a linkage bike, but more "preloadable" and more confidence inspiring in the corners :D

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Particulary with that air shock on it.
Why would that be plusher than a coil? Coil still sets the standard for a proper spring curve, although air springs are now getting very close. Now if thats an old Risse or a Fox Alps, those were not even close to matching a coil spring, especially the Risse.

AZJeff, have you tried an SP bikes without a high pivot? If I remember right, the Cat is pretty high, no? It's amazing what a modern platform shock does for an SP bike. As quiet and effiecient as a linkage bike, but more "preloadable" and more confidence inspiring in the corners
:D[/QUOTE]

Platform on a high pivot. Double barf.

DIG IN geometry, I love it when the marketing team can take the engineers' mistakes and turn it into a good thing. :)

What does "preloadable" mean?

What does a platform fix on a single pivot bike (I think the SP bikes with a low pivot are fine)?

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Why would that be plusher than a coil? Coil still sets the standard for a proper spring curve, although air springs are now getting very close. Now if thats an old Risse or a Fox Alps, those were not even close to matching a coil spring, especially the Risse.

:D
Platform on a high pivot. Double barf.

DIG IN geometry, I love it when the marketing team can take the engineers' mistakes and turn it into a good thing. :)

What does "preloadable" mean?

What does a platform fix on a single pivot bike (I think the SP bikes with a low pivot are fine)?[/QUOTE]

Well, it's true that coils will be plusher, on a modern, properly functioning shock......On this particular shock though, there are a few issues. Finding springs made for it is tough enough, then tossing proper rate for my weight, just makes it worse. These are so old, I have no idea who built them, and they are serviceable, near as I can see. The rebound is so slow, it packs up if you go over two bumps, and then it's got nuthin' in the tank, for the 3rd, unless it's like 20 feet farther down the trail. No rebound adjustment as I can see, either. Thoughts and suggestions are quite welcome!

As for platform on a high pivot, yeah, just a waste of resources:D Preloadable, well, if you've ridden both linkage, and SP's, then it should make sense, if not I'm referring to say, a log crossing, or approach to a jump. With an SP, you can shift weight rearward, and sink into a bit of travel, then use it's release to springboard you up and out, or over, or whatever the need may be. On a linkage bike, do that, and the bike just goes, pffft, huh, what'd did you want? No curvature of axle path, prevents preloading, unless it is done in a purely vertical manner, which just doesn't lend itself to the body english, most natural to the movements I'm talking about.

Platform on an SP.... I'm ready to step in the poo on this one. SP bikes bob, no way around it. You can use a smoother stroke, and minimize it, you can soft pedal, and do the same. But pedal choppily to accelerate, or stand for a particularly tough climing section, and it's going to wallow a bit. Don't get me wrong, I've ridden SP exclusively for years, (one brief foray into a '03 Specialized Enduro sent me packing, back to SP land) Jekylls, Super V's, heck, I got into 29er's, and searched long and hard for an SP 29er (Astrix Monk, which rocks, BTW). I've used every trick, and excuse out there, so now I just say it proudly, yup, they bob, alot. Most companies used Lock Out as the slave to the problem, but it was often left on, which eventually blew the shock, and besides, what good is suspension, if it's not there. But, toss a Platform onto it, and all of a sudden, it's quiet, no bob, no need to stay seated ( I do most of the time anyway, but...) when you climb, it doesn't take energy away from forward motion, with up and down. Admittedly, platform takes a bit of tuning, to get what you want, and different shocks work better or worse, depending on your preference, but they are a huge improvement. I use the Progressive 5th Element on several bikes, and love it's ability to be both firm, and yet, move into travel without my even noticing it's activating, yummy. Most others have a fairly distinct "break" into the travel. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.