FUNN Grippa Stem
FUNN "Fatboy" RIser Bars
FUNN Pedals
FUNN Saddle
RaceFace Evolve DH Cranks
Homemade Chainguide
Enduro seals/Wipers

SRAM Drivetrain

Bought it in quite a state and have done a full service, now ready for some action shots!

Attachments

·
I walk up hills
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still playing with ergonomics but (trying to keep in mind this is family forum) this is the only way I have found thus far to prevent me from errr sitting on my junk :yikes:

Makes it a little harder to hang off the back, but short of spandex I'm not sure what else to do?

Was expecting to get flamed for the Ghettofabulous chain guide, but I guess the big ole seat draws the eye.

·
I walk up hills
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few action shots

Got a few poor action shots at my daily ride spot Hartland Rd, Victoria, BC , nothing that impressive, yet!

Attachments

·
I walk up hills
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so Kona and my LBS had a bunch of 06's out at the usual ride spot today.
Spent 1/2 hour each on a Stinky and a Coilair

Kinda hard to to make a fair comparison as neither bike was setup for my weight (230ish). The newer Stinky felt great on the down's as expected, I was expecting to hate the DOT's based on what I had read but despite the topout "Clunk" they actually rode very nicely for my weight, did feel a tad sluggish in the steering department though. Climbing on the Stinky however sucked, had to walk up a few hills that are no problem on my 1x8 2001.

Next was the Coilair, wow I loved the frame on this thing, the large fit me perfectly and the steering was very quick, the bike felt very nimble. Aside from the Air fork and Shock this bike felt very similar to my Stinky on the downs, Climbing was great on this bike even though fork was way too soft. The brakes on this bike really sucked though, not sure if they were setup wrong or what but I had a hard time actually stopping when I met another guy on a downhill section.

Both bikes had super flimsy seats that moaned and creaked in a very scary way underneath me, both had really bad brake drag as well.

In conclusion neither bike as they sat would temp me away from my old 01, starting to think that a nice air shock and fork would be a nice setup for my Stinky though. I can definitely see why there are so many older Kona's around, they are all great bikes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.