Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a new pedal powered ride to the stable today. Raided my parts bins and spent $185 and got this:

Should be a great year round commuter. Single speed, cheap to build, simple to maintain. Got fenders, panniers, the rack, rack bag and I'll soon be adding lights for the front and rear, for both safety and illumination. Rides as nice as any entry level rigid hard tail should. It's a little lighter than I expected, and has a nicer more upright riding position that isn't as hard on the back. Not the coolest bike, but probably the one I'll be spending the most time on. I used to use my other Single sped mountain bike for commuting, however it's kinda more of a trail bike now (whoops) so I needed something for the winter and getting about town. Probably throw a set of studded tires on it for winter here soon.

Thought it looked pretty good tho, and wanted to share.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should mention that the frame was literally sitting in my basement un-touched for 3 years. One of the previous tenants must of left it, but as I say, finders keepers!!

I ended up getting that whole thing together with one solid afternoons work!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work.

Interested in how quiet the chain tensioner is, i've tried a couple but can't stand the noise.
That one makes a bit of noise, but not much. That surly singulator was bought used, and I've been using it for the past 4 years. Could probably use one of the singulator re-build kits.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hows the surly singlator tensioner treating ya?
It's a bit worn out, which is why I got a new tensioner for my trail SS, and put this on the commuter, since the likely hood of chain jump is a lot less likely on city streets, I used it on there. Still works fine tho. Pretty rugged piece, mines been through the war and back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.