Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Only One Way
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. not much for bikes but is will be about 1.5 miles from my house..

I was disappointed the other day when I looked at what they had built.. mostly stairs with these weird ramps on the sides.. not a launch but they have a transition before they go up.. Pics below, anyone have any experience with this style jump? Get any air from them.. (the other skate park in town is about 40 minutes away and it has nice jumps for bikes.. so this one seems built mainly for skate boards and roller blades?)

They are supposed to build a pool that is staked out but they said that is phase two. Should be done in about a month..

C

The marked Bowl area

Wide Launch beside stairs

The railing in all the walls

Large Set of stairs and jumps

Close up of same

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd probably be more psyched to get that in my town than a "real" skatepark. Stuff like that is good if you're into tech stuff, or riding real street. I've 180'd over bar height road cones out of mellower banks than that, so you should be able to find something to do!

·
Registered
916 Posts
That would be a perfect place to bring my razor scooter. Really tho it looks pretty sick, i'd 180 on those banks, not bar height tho. It looks like this park that's being built next door to my work. It has a huge bowl section with a big street section.

·
Only One Way
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea

Yea don't get me wrong I am syked to have it so close, I should have no issue bunny hopping onto the walls and ridding them down, and I even looked at some old pegs (to do some smith grinds with .. no haters please, the will work with my bolt on set up) the coping is great every wall has that steel copping built in. I also think the bowl will be awesome if the transitions are not to tight..

I was just really hopping for a big box jump or spine to play on… but hey beggers can not be choosers and it is free to the public.. I just hope thy finish it soon..

C

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
that'll be cool! my skate park they built in my town sucks! horrible for biking and small too. if i drive about 45mins i can get to a good cement park that works better on a bike, but still its very over crowded... : (

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
man, you gys are lucky, my nearest skate park is 1 hour away...and its not to badd other than the fact i dont have a car and im lucky to go 3 times a year

what you do is you bunnyhop onto the ledge tap the front tire and fall off on the other side of the ledge...i could spend hours doing that man

i wish they built a skatepark near my house :nonod: oh and get some action pics :thumbsup:

·
Only One Way
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am waiting

Still have not opned it yet.. They where digging out the bowl last weekend.... looks like they will open it all at once.. I am stooked, they are saying end of August....

CAN NOT WAIT.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Get involved and find out if they will even allow bikes in once it is finished. There have been numerous cases of publicly funded skateparks being built to the exclusion of bikers. You may have to end up going to city council meetings and things. If you do, get a group of like minded people together and go as a group. Make sure the group knows to respect the process. These things can be very tedious to get accomplished and if you go into a city council meeting and just start spouting off, you'll do more harm than good. Stand up for yourself and your rights. But remember to be professional and polite. Educate yourself and know what you're talking about before approaching the people that are making it happen. Be firm in your opinion that bikes should be allowed but choose your words carefully as you could damage your cause rather than help it. And don't let them pull the old "bikes will tear up the ramps" bullsh*t. It's concrete, how is a bike going to tear it up?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
TXhucker said:
And don't let them pull the old "bikes will tear up the ramps" bullsh*t. It's concrete, how is a bike going to tear it up?
ohhh, the skaters like that one...i was at my "nearest" park the other week and one of them pipes up "cement is made for skateboards ****head, youll tear up the surfaces" it pisses me off how nieve skaters are, honestly grow up and learn to share

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah be SURE they will allow bikes in. We faught for almost a year to gain access to our park. I went to countless meetings, called the city council, chamber of commerce, and parks & rec among others. It is NOT easy if you have all the skaters doiing what they can to stop you.
We heard all the bikes tear up the park BS but that is all it is. BS. Make sure the city does their homework before banning.Tell them to contact other concrete parks that allow bikes to find out for themselves if the "damage" statement is true.

I got so irate at one of the meetings I told the moderator, "If you dont let us access this county owned, tax dollar paid for park I'll take a case to the ACLU on the grounds of segriation" That is a REAL ugly word that city goverenments DO NOT like to hear. Just dont pull that card until LATE in the game.
Good luck if access is a problem.

·
Only One Way
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bikes ....

Well, this is interesting.. They have a sign that says no bikes... already posted.. Skate and rollerblades only.

But..

the other park (40 minutes away) has the same sign and we have no issues ridding there, actually there is at least 4-5 bikers there every night so I hope the same happens here. These are not staffed parks, they are open and lighted till 10:00 pm it is a "police yourself" area, and the police drive by every now and then but mostly are looking for the un-seedy group.

I do fit in the minority, as I am 35 and have been dealing with these issues for quite a while, one when I was a kid I got arrested for ridding my BMX bike on an outside basketball court that was PUBLIC.. my dad at the time went ape and the charges where dropped, granted I was a bit of a smart a$$ with the police at the time, but on the other court was a basketball game and they where not telling them to leave.. I was pissed and my dad was even more pissed.. so these things have been going on for quite a long time.

I did talk to the parks department prior to the construction and volunteered to help, but they felt confident that the contractor was good to go.. we will see.. Hopefully I can get some pics after it opens..

C

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.