Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several months my new Black Sheep frame arrived last week, and all I can say is that the wait was definitely worth it :D My original concept when I started working with James was to build a 26" bike. However, after some serious lurking on this forum and talking to several of the locals that are riding 29ers in our area I was convinced that the 29er was the way for me to go. I have to confess though that onestrongone's bike did a pretty good sales job all by itself :thumbsup:

Bottle Drinkware Liquid Drink Plastic bottle


Bicycle Plant Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle fork


Plant Bicycle part Bicycle frame Carbon Rim


Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset


I've been sick for the past few weeks so I haven't been able to do much riding. The two rides that I have gotten on the bike reassure me that the decisions I made with this frame were good. I've been riding FS bikes almost exclusively for the past 5 years, so the hardtail is definitely going to take some getting used to on the rocky downhills. However, I definitely appreciate the 29" wheels and how well they roll over rocky terrain!
 

·
Belltown Brazer
Joined
·
693 Posts
Super beauty. I really like the looks of the BS bikes.

Now, get rid of that goofy fork and have James build you a proper Ti fork for that thing.

I understand though...weaning yourself from the suspension can take multiple steps...and it looks like your first step away was in the right direction for sure.

B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know....

I certainly like how this frame looks with the ti forks, but I'm not quite ready to go the rigid route - I think my body is going to need some adjustments to riding the 'shed and Gambrill without the FS cush. Besides, 29er and hardtail seemed like plenty of changes initially for one bike ;)

By the way Ricky - thanks for the nudge to go with the 29er wheels - you were the first person that got me thinking in this direction. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly!

MDEnvEngr said:
Super beauty. I really like the looks of the BS bikes.

Now, get rid of that goofy fork and have James build you a proper Ti fork for that thing.

I understand though...weaning yourself from the suspension can take multiple steps...and it looks like your first step away was in the right direction for sure.

B
The weaning process will take time - I'm not really even thinking about the rigid option right now. I feel like I have lots of options in the future with this bike. I set it up with a slack headtube angle with the Reba set at 100mm, which I like a lot at the current time. I figure if I want to quicken things up in the handling department I can drop the travel to 80mm and see how I like that. If I really want to shake things (like my body :eek: ) up down the road, I'll call James again and have him build me a fork.

My next experiment will be to set it up as a SS. I did get an EBB on this frame so that I would have that option. That's a little ways off though - I want to do the SM100 this year on this bike, and there's no way that I'll be doing that race SS - all the more power to those of you out there that can!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Ricky has the effect on people....

I too was lured by that evil pino boy. I was perfectly happy on my squishy Superlight and then I met Ricky at Wakefield.... he's like an evil rigid SS imp that spins from local haunt to local haunt professing the ways of Ricky to as many disciples as he can conjure. To that end, just get the Ti rigid fork, if you're going to jump in the water, dive in head first, you'll never look back. Congrats on the Highroller, I've been drooling over those for some time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rainman said:
James @ BS builds a nice frame.. :thumbsup:
I cannot say enough good things about my experience with James. Since this was my first custom frame and my first 29er, I had all sorts of questions that I kept pestering him with. While I don't have that many miles on the bike yet, the first couple rides seem to indicate that everything came together in a package that is exactly what I was looking for.

And on top of that, the frame is a functional piece of art. :D
 

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
Joined
·
449 Posts
TurnerConvert said:
Thanks - good to know that I'm not the only one out there that needs gears and a front shock!
No problem! I couldn't help but notice you mentioned Gambrill. You wouldn't happen to be talking about Gambrill State Park in Maryland? If so, that place is sick, and quite beautiful. I hiked a solid 15 miles through that place while my wife was doing some contract work for her company at Fort Deitricht (sp?). I gotta tell you, getting through there with FS bike would be a challenge enough, let alone a rigid hardtail. Yikes! Rocky, steep, and gnarly, vintage east coast riding. I had no idea the Allegheny's hit Maryland like that. Being from NJ, I was definitely impressed.

In any case, it should be epic with the new steed. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ziggurat22 said:
No problem! I couldn't help but notice you mentioned Gambrill. You wouldn't happen to be talking about Gambrill State Park in Maryland? If so, that place is sick, and quite beautiful. I hiked a solid 15 miles through that place while my wife was doing some contract work for her company at Fort Deitricht (sp?). I gotta tell you, getting through there with FS bike would be a challenge enough, let alone a rigid hardtail. Yikes! Rocky, steep, and gnarly, vintage east coast riding. I had no idea the Allegheny's hit Maryland like that. Being from NJ, I was definitely impressed.

In any case, it should be epic with the new steed. Good luck!
You got the right place - its about 20 minutes from my house. We've been riding there for years, so on FS I'm comfortable. The really humbling part is seeing the folks like Drevil out there on their rigid single speeds riding that stuff. I rode with RiderX a couple weeks ago - he was out on a full rigid 26" SS and I was on my 5 Spot, and he dropped me on most of the downhills. I've never claimed to be the best rider in the world, but prior to that I ride I would not have thought that this scenario was possible. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
That's ok I guess....

TurnerConvert said:
After several months my new Black Sheep frame arrived last week, and all I can say is that the wait was definitely worth it :D My original concept when I started working with James was to build a 26" bike. However, after some serious lurking on this forum and talking to several of the locals that are riding 29ers in our area I was convinced that the 29er was the way for me to go. I have to confess though that onestrongone's bike did a pretty good sales job all by itself :thumbsup:

I've been sick for the past few weeks so I haven't been able to do much riding. The two rides that I have gotten on the bike reassure me that the decisions I made with this frame were good. I've been riding FS bikes almost exclusively for the past 5 years, so the hardtail is definitely going to take some getting used to on the rocky downhills. However, I definitely appreciate the 29" wheels and how well they roll over rocky terrain!
It's no Turner though....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MightySchmoePong said:
It's no Turner though....
No its not - and I like it that way! It'll be interesting to get out on it this weekend and see how I can hold up on a hardtail vs. the 5 Spot. I'm going to be slower on the technical downhills, but I bet that it will rock most other places though. For the records, I still love your blue 5 Spot - that too is a perty bike ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
Well...

TurnerConvert said:
No its not - and I like it that way! It'll be interesting to get out on it this weekend and see how I can hold up on a hardtail vs. the 5 Spot. I'm going to be slower on the technical downhills, but I bet that it will rock most other places though. For the records, I still love your blue 5 Spot - that too is a perty bike ;)
As long as you're not pissing blood like I am after 10-15 miles in the 'shed w/ the KM you're OK.

I'm going to order some Ignitors for the KM to get some more cush; I'll try that before I spring for a new fork. If Ricky can run 20 PSI I should be able to get away w/ 30 or so. Should be a bit more comfy than my Klaw's @ 45 psi.
 

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
Joined
·
3,910 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
As long as you're not pissing blood like I am after 10-15 miles in the 'shed w/ the KM you're OK.

I'm going to order some Ignitors for the KM to get some more cush; I'll try that before I spring for a new fork. If Ricky can run 20 PSI I should be able to get away w/ 30 or so. Should be a bit more comfy than my Klaw's @ 45 psi.
Klaws @ 45? At the Watershed/Gambrill? WTF? :eek: No wonder you're having hand/back/bloody-piss problems. Try an Exi up front for even more comfort (than the Ignitors). BTW, not sure if you are riding your rigid KM in the same fashion as your double-squish Turner in the rocks, but you've got to finesse and pick lines, my friend! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
Finesse?

Drevil said:
Klaws @ 45? At the Watershed/Gambrill? WTF? :eek: No wonder you're having hand/back/bloody-piss problems. Try an Exi up front for even more comfort (than the Ignitors). BTW, not sure if you are riding your rigid KM in the same fashion as your double-squish Turner in the rocks, but you've got to finesse and pick lines, my friend! :p
Could you explain that one?

Yeah, 40-45 is way too high. I didn't realize this until I saw some of the PSI other people were running, That's the PSI I ride for my FS and I occasionally pinch flat, but I think the 29er is more resistant to that.

I stopped by Germantown cycles and I have a set of Ignitors on order. Might try an exiwolf too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Drevil said:
Klaws @ 45? At the Watershed/Gambrill? WTF? :eek: No wonder you're having hand/back/bloody-piss problems. Try an Exi up front for even more comfort (than the Ignitors). BTW, not sure if you are riding your rigid KM in the same fashion as your double-squish Turner in the rocks, but you've got to finesse and pick lines, my friend! :p
Whoa - wait a minute here. Pick lines? Finesse? That sort of stuff takes skills. Nobody said anything about that :rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top