Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guys are killing me. One minute I'm thinking Rush and then some one raves about the scalpel!!!

Which model is that? doesnt look like the 2000 paint job but looks like the 2000 groupo but with crossmax SL rims.... what does she weigh?

....gawd that is a sweet looking bike!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey

Hi

its a 2000 model and i upgraded the wheels and im getting new pedasl cracksbrothers.

the year its a 2005

and she weight 23.5 lb

the rush is a awesome bike, but both bike are complety diffferent. the scalpel is a race machine.... and the rush is kind of all mountain bike. if you dont race and are looking for a all mountain bike get the rush, if you are looking for a race bike something light get the scalpel.//

·
taTegOi
58 Posts
Hello

I also have a Scalpel with the specification like a 2000, but with following changes:
XTR front derailleur
XTR Rapid Fire Shifters
Magura Louise FR
Carbon Riser
XTR Pedals
XTR chain
XT Rear Cogs
Michelin XCR Mud
Salsa Lock on Grips

and it weighs 25,7 lbs, how it is possible that yours weigh 23,5 lbs. Have you weighed it by your one?

This month a will change saddle, saddlepost and the grips and this will save about 0,75 lbs!

So how it is possible that yours is so light, are the crossmax sl much lighter than the standard XM 819 rims on the Scalpel 2000?

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Lovely stuff.

I've always had a soft spot for Scalpels. I was very close to trading in my ride for one. Perhaps one time I will pick one up in the future.

I love the look, the design and the way they ride.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You get it.

ribisl said:
Hello

I also have a Scalpel with the specification like a 2000, but with following changes:
XTR front derailleur
XTR Rapid Fire Shifters
Magura Louise FR
Carbon Riser
XTR Pedals
XTR chain
XT Rear Cogs
Michelin XCR Mud
Salsa Lock on Grips

and it weighs 25,7 lbs, how it is possible that yours weigh 23,5 lbs. Have you weighed it by your one?

This month a will change saddle, saddlepost and the grips and this will save about 0,75 lbs!

So how it is possible that yours is so light, are the crossmax sl much lighter than the standard XM 819 rims on the Scalpel 2000?

The Crossmax rear hub shaves a bit. I am sure that part of the savings is in the wheels. Also your Louise FR brakes. (is that right, the FR louises?) are way heavier than the XT's are. I can see dropping a couple of pounds by spending some on your bike. You are on the right track with the changes you have on the boards already.

·
taTegOi
58 Posts
damion said:
Also your Louise FR brakes. (is that right, the FR louises?)
Yes the FR, because the black ones are looking better than the normal Silver one. And there is no difference between the FR and the normal Louise, excepting the 180mm front rotor.

planned savings:

CD competition seat post (247g) --> Thomson Masterpiece setback 10° (191g)= 56g
Fizik Plateau (307g) --> SQ Lab Super 6 (210g) or Selle San Marco Aspide FX (140g)=167g
Salsa Lock on Grips (160g) --> Titec Pork Rinds (19g) = 141g

Total savings: 364 g

Where can I reasonably save some other weight ?

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
ribisl said:
Yes the FR, because the black ones are looking better than the normal Silver one. And there is no difference between the FR and the normal Louise, excepting the 180mm front rotor.

planned savings:

CD competition seat post (247g) --> Thomson Masterpiece setback 10° (191g)= 56g
Fizik Plateau (307g) --> SQ Lab Super 6 (210g) or Selle San Marco Aspide FX (140g)=167g
Salsa Lock on Grips (160g) --> Titec Pork Rinds (19g) = 141g

Total savings: 364 g

Where can I reasonably save some other weight ?
Dump the 180mm rotor for a 160mm.
If you have $$$ to throw around Ti rotors will save you a decent amount.
Your PD-959's are nice pedals, but the crank brothers are way lighter (and I personally prefer the crank brothers) You can save 100g on pedals for about $100. Close to 180grams if you dip in to your 401K and buy the Triple Ti egg beaters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts