Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Looks pretty darn nice :thumbsup: what's the setup there besides what we can easily see? Not so sure on the saddle being AM "approved" though :p You're the 2nd person to try a coil on the RIP9, will be interesting to here what you think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the frame through Blue Sky Cycling as a price match to the $999.99 speedgoat sale, and built it up slowly with a custom build.

Specs.

-size medium frame, fox vanilla r rear shock with push factory tuning
-Amp all mountain dropper seatpost
-sunline v1 28" bars
-sunline 65mm all mountain stem
-crank brothers iodine sl headset
-shimano xtr cranks with custom e13 LG1 chainguide
-34 tooth e13 chainring
-sram 991 cassette and chain
-sram xo rear derailleur and shifter
-stans arch rims with hope pro 2 hubs
-avid juicy 7 carbon brakes, 8" front, 7" rear
-White brothers fluid 29 135 fork with torco 7wt oil in damper and rockshox redrum in spring side.( very buttery set up ) 1 booster spring
-Panaracer rampage 2.35 tires converted tubeless

I'll give updates as to how the rear coil shock works after I get in some testing.

Time to ride!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Just curious, why would you want a coil spring on a RIP? Not being a [email protected], just wondering why anyone other than the downhill crowd runs coil shocks anymore. Did the frame come without a rear shock or did you remove it? I have considered changing the rear shock on my Jet9 for something else without a platform if I ever have a problem with the RP23, I just think that the platform is useless on CVA bikes. I have used mine a total of once to see what it felt like, didn't like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Different Strokes...........

Capslayer, I will be watching with interest in your thoughts on that coil setup and also to see if your headset lasts - I've seen some nasty images of those headset cups broken up.

Cruso, different strokes, for different folkes. There are at least 2 other people I have seen try the coil setup, it may well give a slightly more linear feel to the suspension, not sure.
As to using the PP on the RIP9, I use it all the time with how I have my bike set up. As soon as I hit some smooth gravel or dirt I flip it on, sometimes in PP2 position, sometimes PP3 depending on how smooth and on the road always. When I'm on trails with features it generally stays off or in PP1, depending on how rough, if it's a climb or DH etc.

cruso414 said:
Just curious, why would you want a coil spring on a RIP? Not being a [email protected], just wondering why anyone other than the downhill crowd runs coil shocks anymore. Did the frame come without a rear shock or did you remove it? I have considered changing the rear shock on my Jet9 for something else without a platform if I ever have a problem with the RP23, I just think that the platform is useless on CVA bikes. I have used mine a total of once to see what it felt like, didn't like it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Lynx, have you got your shock set up really soft or something? My friend who has a RIP never uses his propedal either. I have mine set up as fox recommends by using 25-30% sag. Do you stand a lot when you climb and maybe looking for a hardtail feel when climbing. I have found that when I climb (seated or standing) the bike feels as though there is a cantelever driving the rear wheel into the ground the harder torque you give to it. The only full suspension bike that I have ever had that climbed anywhere close to the Jet is a Maverick ML7.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The main reason I went with a coil shock is because they are superior to air shocks in small bump sensitivity, progressiveness, and durability. You really can't beat a coil shock with push factory valving in those departments.

The only reason most all mountain bikes come with air shocks is because of the weight, and one air shock can accomodate many different rider weights. With a titanium spring, the rear shock on my bike weighs only 60 grams more than the rp23 that came on it. Having the coil front and rear also creates a more balanced feel to the bike and the suspension.

I wouldn't recommend converting to a coil spring shock on a bike like this unless you are putting a titanium spring on it and getting it custom valved for the frame. The rp23 is a great shock and I have had good luck with it in the past but it just doesn't have the small bump sensitivity of a coil shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Actually NO, I set it for 9mm SAG, so for some quite hard/harsh. Yes as far as a lot of people have told me I'm a "masher" and I do/will stand on climbs laying down the power and look for a solid feel in the rear when climbing. If it's a rough climb I sit and spin in most likely a fairly easy gear w/ PP off completely, but if it's somewhat smooth I push a big gear and stand to get over kick ups, using either PP1 or PP2. It's weird, some days it feels super plush, others a bit harsh :skep: not sure how much barometric pressure, temp etc play into air shock feel.

cruso414 said:
Lynx, have you got your shock set up really soft or something? My friend who has a RIP never uses his propedal either. I have mine set up as fox recommends by using 25-30% sag. Do you stand a lot when you climb and maybe looking for a hardtail feel when climbing. I have found that when I climb (seated or standing) the bike feels as though there is a cantelever driving the rear wheel into the ground the harder torque you give to it. The only full suspension bike that I have ever had that climbed anywhere close to the Jet is a Maverick ML7.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
LyNx said:
Looks pretty darn nice :thumbsup: what's the setup there besides what we can easily see? Not so sure on the saddle being AM "approved" though :p You're the 2nd person to try a coil on the RIP9, will be interesting to here what you think.
its amazing that you know every single owner of RIPs in the world to be able to determine its the second person. what would Ninerbikes do without you?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,930 Posts
FoShizzle said:
its amazing that you know every single owner of RIPs in the world to be able to determine its the second person. what what Ninerbikes do without you?
Fo, go get your two cups of coffee this morning and don't come back to the keyboard until you've drank them both and gone on a pee break, OK? :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Fizzle go back to OnOne

Actually I head the RIP9 users support group for Niner :rolleyes:

It's amazing how much you troll other forums you really have no interest in :skep: :rolleyes: What's wrong, slow week, didn't get to fire a couple hundred hard working employees with families and then go out and buy yourself some stupid expensive toy to celebrate what a great job you do :rolleyes:

FoShizzle said:
its amazing that you know every single owner of RIPs in the world to be able to determine its the second person. what would Ninerbikes do without you?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,930 Posts
LyNx said:
Actually I head the RIP9 users support group for Niner :rolleyes:

It's amazing how much you troll other forums you really have no interest in :skep: :rolleyes: What's wrong, slow week, didn't get to fire a couple hundred hard working employees with families and then go out and buy yourself some stupid expensive toy to celebrate what a great job you do :rolleyes:
Let's not go there... Show Fizzle is renowned for trolling for naive Brook trout on bike websites. His nickname is Show Fizzle due to his nature of building blingy Show bikes, riding them a couple of times, and then his interest in them Fizzles, so he put's them up for sale or tries to piece them out to recoup or make money on what he's spent on them

Rumor has it that his garage has had more brands of bikes come and go through it than the local cat house has had patrons. Around Space Mountain, a local riding area, the new saying is that when they see you in the posuer outfit with bling in the parking lot, that you are all Fo, and no Go.

When it comes to Niner Bikes, it's well known that they are meant to be raced or ridden hard, thrashed and mashed, and in general used up by their owners, not hung up in the garage to be admired for their shine or sparkle. A dirty bike photo is the sign of a healthy owner.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
RandyBoy said:
Let's not go there... Show Fizzle is renowned for trolling for naive Brook trout on bike websites
and none is more guaranteed to be caught that Niner's own LyNx

though the truth as to why i am not president of LyNx's fan club is because he stole Larry and Squeaky from me...he is now BFF with both of them and I have to have both of them constantly rub my nose in it
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top