Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to hear your ride report, except that the RIP will be begging for more than the Kettle Moraine trails...(where I started riding 15 years ago...).

I absolutely love mine!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm picking mine up from the shop tomorrow, can't wait. I rode it in the parking lot tonight and was blown away when I got to a dark area and saw the thing glow. Can't wait to get it on the trails here in AZ - very rocky - should be a nice break from getting beat up on my hardtail.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Tbone said:
I'm picking mine up from the shop tomorrow, can't wait. I rode it in the parking lot tonight and was blown away when I got to a dark area and saw the thing glow. Can't wait to get it on the trails here in AZ - very rocky - should be a nice break from getting beat up on my hardtail.
Righteous...what shop are you getting it from? The Pig?

Where do you ride usually?

·
Just ride.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
waltaz said:
Nice! Can't wait to hear your ride report, except that the RIP will be begging for more than the Kettle Moraine trails...(where I started riding 15 years ago...).

I absolutely love mine!
I demoed a friend's large for an afternoon around the Kettles and was impressed enough that I had to buy one. But then I test rode a Medium which felt even better so that's what I ended up getting. (I'm 6', 34" inseam) Definitely won't be a sub 24 lb race machine that my superlight was but I think I can get it around 27 lbs. Frame was 6.4# with King Headset cups and no seat binder. Just need some wheels and I'll be ready to roll.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
waltaz said:
QUOTE]

It IS begging for my Supercal 29...:thumbsup: Just need the weather to cooperate and the kids to behave better so I can get there soon.
G

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup, The Pig

waltaz said:
Righteous...what shop are you getting it from? The Pig?

Where do you ride usually?
Yeah, you may have seen it, I9s (red spokes). I rode it around the shop last night and went into a dark area and saw the glowing frame and freaked. Had to have it! Not to mention the ride is incredible. Fits like a glove. I had purchased a Vicious Groover from Eric at the Pig which was a great bike, just too firm for T100 and the other trails here.

Erics a great guy, hes taking back the Vicious and giving me credit for the Niner. I mostly ride 100, SM, Hawes, McDowells. How bout you?

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Tbone said:
Yeah, you may have seen it, I9s (red spokes). I rode it around the shop last night and went into a dark area and saw the glowing frame and freaked. Had to have it! Not to mention the ride is incredible. Fits like a glove. I had purchased a Vicious Groover from Eric at the Pig which was a great bike, just too firm for T100 and the other trails here.

Erics a great guy, hes taking back the Vicious and giving me credit for the Niner. I mostly ride 100, SM, Hawes, McDowells. How bout you?
When I spoke to Eric back in November, he didn't have any Mediums and wasn't getting in, so I got it online. Just dropped it off today for some service and they told me the other one sold, the one with the I9's. Sweet ride.

I ride all over the place...

·
Just ride.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
99% done

Almost got it finished. :thumbsup: Its 28.4# as it sits. The wheels are 2400+gm cheapos I picked up at a swap meet. The tires were 710gm each. So I figure I can lose almost another 2 lbs from the wheels/tires. Throw on some Martas & Ti pedals and it could be under 26#. :eekster:

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Damn, damn, damn!!

You guys are killing me here :madman: I just started browsing these damn 29er forums, asked a question and was pointed towards several bike manufacturers. Saw the R.I.P9, it's suspension design and though not a bad looking bike (was looking at the silver version) then saw Francois' built up blue and was like WOW, that looks so sweet and now you tell me that the blue I like also glows in the dark :madman: I can see a 29er in my future :madman: don't know how I'll afford it, but I have a feeling I could be riding one by the time LT100 comes around.

Man those blue RIP9's look so freakin awesome.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Nice looking bike.

I wonder if Niner has any plans to raise the bottom bracket height just a tad in the next iterations of the RIP 9?

Just eyeballing that photos makes me think of pedal strikes for a lot of the trails around here in CT and Massachusetts.

But damn it would be cool as hell to ride that thing on a night ride. How long does the "glow in the dark" feature hold up for? does it die out after a certain amount of time - or it is dependent upon how much Light the frame soaks up during the day?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.