Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After input from everyone here, a ride on a Bottlerocket, and a few days spent on the Titus El Guapo, I decided that I was wrong when I said I wanted a bike I could pedal. I wanted instead a bike that was more slack and had more squish. So, the gentlemen at Rage Cycles hooked me up with a 2009 Kona Stinky Air for a pretty great deal. I have to say that the guys at Rage gave me the most outstanding customer service.

I took my new baby on her maiden voyage this afternoon. Wanted to start slow, so I climbed Mormon Loop to National to BV. Came down the same way and then finished with Javelina. I must say that I am in love. It was flawless. Climbed pretty damn well considering its a 1X9 and it descended better than I could have hoped. Felt well balanced for me and soaked up all the big drops like they were nothing. Jumped it in a couple of spots and it was like landing on pillows. Well, I'll stop gushing and let you take a look.

See specs and pics below.

17"
38 lbs. (weighed at the shop)
Kona Clump DH 7005 Aluminum, 7" Travel w/DOPE
Fox DHX Air 5.0
Marzocchi 66 ATA 140-180mm (1.5) w/20mm Dropouts
FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5 Headset
RaceFace Atlas FR Cranks with 32T
RaceFace X-Type Bottom bracket
Kona Wah-Wah Pedals
Shimano XT (11-32, 9spd)
E.Thirteen LG1
Shimano XTR Shadow
Shimano XT (rh only)
FSA MK230B-OS Handlebar
FSA FR200-OS/1.5 Stem
Kona LOG Grips
Shimano Saint Hydraulic Disc
Shimano Saint Hydraulic Levers
Mavic Crossmax SX Wheelset 20mm
Mavic Crossmax SX Wheelset 12mm
Maxxis Minion 3C 26x2.5

Attachments

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more photos...

By the way, the Wah Wah pedals are excellent. Love how much thinner they are then my Syncro Meathooks. Also, the Saint brakes are pretty amazing.

Attachments

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The funny thing is that when I was picking it up from the shop a woman came up to me and said, "Nice bike, but the writing on those rims looks like they should go on a girls bike."

·
....just cruisin through
146 Posts
beardedstealth said:
The funny thing is that when I was picking it up from the shop a woman came up to me and said, "Nice bike, but the writing on those rims looks like they should go on a girls bike."
I will gladly take those "girl" wheels off your hands!!!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Nice!!! What's your impression of the DOPE braking system? I have a Coiler, and asked around about getting it, but decided too much money.

How about the pedals? I currently have the Crank Bros 5050, but not that happy with them, so in the market for some new pedals.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,325 Posts
Ha, saw that in the shop when I was there last week with the already sold stuff on it. Very nice! Those SX wheels are sick!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
azdog said:
Ha, saw that in the shop when I was there last week with the already sold stuff on it. Very nice! Those SX wheels are sick!
Aren't you supposed to be doing homework?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
KavuRider said:
Coiler is way different than the CoilAir.
Mine is supposed to be a trail bike.
I thought basically same bike, with the exception of the rear shock (air vs. coil)?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts