Cassette SRAM PG980 11-34
Rear Derailleur 07 SRAM X.9 Long Cage Combo with Shifters
Front Derailleur 08 SRAM X.9 34.9mm top pull swing
Headset FSA Pig DH Pro
Stem Truvative Hussefelt 31.8mm / 40mm
Handlebars 07 Monkeylite DH Carbon Riser 31.8mm
Seatpost 07 Easton Havoc 30.9 mm
Saddle WTB Power V Race DH

Already have the frame and fork. Anything else is open to suggestions, as there is still time to change it. I am on a 3000 budget though and this one hit the nail on the head so to speak. I do have one question though, from all the reading I've done people are either saying do a 73 mm bb or a 73 with spacers from the conversion kit (using race face). Which is the way to go with the setup I have?

Thanks and Peas

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Munin2889 said:
Frame 06 VP Free XL Black Fox DHX 5.0
Fork 05 Manitou Dorado Double Crown 180 mm
Hubs F Hope Pro 2 32 hole
R Hope Pro 2 32 hole 12 x 150
Rims Mavic 32h 729
Spokes DT Swiss Comp 14/15 g
Nipples DT Brass
Bottom Bracket Truvative Holzfeller XR 73mm Shell
Cranks Truvative Holzfeller Howitzer 2.2 175mm 24/36 t
Brakes 08 Avid Juicy Seven 203 mm
Cassette SRAM PG980 11-34
Rear Derailleur 07 SRAM X.9 Long Cage Combo with Shifters
Front Derailleur 08 SRAM X.9 34.9mm top pull swing
Headset FSA Pig DH Pro
Stem Truvative Hussefelt 31.8mm / 40mm
Handlebars 07 Monkeylite DH Carbon Riser 31.8mm
Seatpost 07 Easton Havoc 30.9 mm
Saddle WTB Power V Race DH

Already have the frame and fork. Anything else is open to suggestions, as there is still time to change it. I am on a 3000 budget though and this one hit the nail on the head so to speak. I do have one question though, from all the reading I've done people are either saying do a 73 mm bb or a 73 with spacers from the conversion kit (using race face). Which is the way to go with the setup I have?

Thanks and Peas
I'd get a set of Saint cranks. I've got two sets and I love them. Stiff, solid, awesome cranks/bb and easy to mount and remove. Additionally, I'd get Codes over the Sevens. I ran the Sevens for a coupl'a yrs and then bought a set of Codes, killer brakes. I've ridden the Saints and the Codes on my VP Free and I'd recommend them both for your XL frame. The Sevens will tend to fade after a while on that big of a bike, (thinkin' that XL frame is for a XL guy? no offense). The only other thing I'd change would be a mid cage rear derailluer for a two ring/bash setup. Carbon bars on a dh/freeride bike scares me, but that's jus' me....:p Good Luck w/it.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Munin2889 said:
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-4659-shimano-saint-m805-2-crankbb-set.aspx.

You mean those cranks? I don't know much about the chain line and what not. Is the 57.5 chainline the way to go? And will the 83 mm BB that comes with it fit in the frame shell?

Thanks for the input MWOH

Edit: Also, no offense taken, you are correct in your assumption =).
Ummmm, I think I'm runnin' th' 68/73mm shell w/135mm spacing & 50mm chainline. I know the VP Free rear end is 150mm spacing, but I'm almost positive mine are the 68/73mm shell w/135mm spacing version. I put one spacer between th' non-drive side and an e.13 DRS plate on the drive side, (i.e. the e.13 plate = a spacer). I have never, ever had any shifting issues w/this setup. My VP Free w/Saint cranks/bb and SRAM rear derailluer and Shimano XT ft derailluer has had the best shifting of any bike I've owned. My Nomad is the same way, perfect shifting and the rear hub has 135mm spacing AND I use the same cranks for both bikes. :D FYI: The Saint cranks I have on my Nomad actually came off of my VP Free. :thumbsup:

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Munin2889 said:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CG409Z00-E-13+E+Type+Drs+Plate.aspx?sc=FRGL

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?id=BPC108516

So those would be the only things I would need? Would the Sram front derailleur work with this or would I need the shimano as well?
Munin, you won't need the e.13 plate, I run a e.13 DRS chain guide and the back plate sandwiches between the bb shell and the bearing cup. If you aren't using a chain guide, you'll use one spacer between the bb shell and each bb cup. The Saints come w/spacers you can use instead of the plate. So no extra parts to buy after you get Saint cranks, although I would buy the park bb tool for them. Yes, both SRAM or Shimano ft dérailleurs will work w/Saints. :thumbsup:

http://www.e13components.com/product_drs.html

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT-9

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh, ok. This is my first DH/FR Bike, so I'm used to just the standard setup of three rings on the front cog. So two rings without the chain guide = just the cranks. How is the chain guard beneficial for a 2 ring? I thought that only single rings could have them because they keep the chain on one path i.e. the large front ring. But I'm new to this so I don't know exactly how it works.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Munin2889 said:
Ahh, ok. This is my first DH/FR Bike, so I'm used to just the standard setup of three rings on the front cog. So two rings without the chain guide = just the cranks. How is the chain guard beneficial for a 2 ring? I thought that only single rings could have them because they keep the chain on one path i.e. the large front ring. But I'm new to this so I don't know exactly how it works.
Chain guides are made to keep tension on the chain so it doesn't get any slack or slop and bounce off of the chain ring while you bouncing around on the trail. Chain guides are available to use w/1-2 or 3 ring configurations. There are other chain guides that work as well as the e.13 stuff, but I've had nothing but good results from them and I stick with what works. :thumbsup: The DH/freeride forum is good place to look at some good dh/freeride rigs. Personally I find that forum to be less tech oriented and leaning more towards what bikes the riders ride/recommend and "pic posting is rampant through out". :D

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, quite clear to me now, thanks for the explanations guys. Swapping out the cranks/bb/ and adding a chain guide stacks the price up quite a bit. As well as switching to the codes. Hmmm

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
As I recall from another thread, you are a big boy.

Second the Saint cranks recommendation. The normal version fits 68mm and 73mm BB shells.

Do you have a spring, that works with your weight, for the DHX-5 (and the fork)?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right now I think the place I'm getting the frame from is working on a spring for me, I told him my weight. Just so I know what size is recommended for someone my weight (250). For the fork, I'll have to look into it but right now just the standard size is coming.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have both Avid Codes on my Orange freeride bike super powerful,
and I have Code 5's on my Heckler still powerful but don't pop your eyes out like Codes, Codes Down hill/freeride, Code 5's AM both have a great feel and control

·
Registered
255 Posts
I ran the Saint M805 on my Free. This is the crank with the longer spindle that gives the correct chain line. the new ones look amazing. Excellent value too. Speedgoat/ Jenson ( when they service you that is ) had them and were cheaper.
Setting up the Free is not the easiest thing to do!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah so I've heard, I just want to make sure I do it right the first time so I don't have to go through the hassle of returns and whatnot. So you're input is definitely appreciated. With the 805 do you have to use spacers the same as you would for the 800's?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.