1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so im starting to save up for a brand new '07 Turner DHR Frame
im also going to get the FOES F1 XTD
thats already 4500 bucks.
now im stuck at what kind of other crap to get for it... like cranks and brakes and lever and stuff like that...
can you guys help me make the decisions like what kind of brakes and stuff to save up for?
thanks for any help
-Brandon

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
That fork is a piece of ****. Look at a Rockshox Boxxer Team, Marzocchi 888, or Fox 40. Used 888s are cheap, and bombproof. I would recommend an 06 model or an 05 with low/flat/low-ride crowns. EDIT: They're heavy, expensive, require lots of specific parts, and feel crappy. The Fox or the Dorado will be better, but look around for Boxxers and 888s too. A 888 will be the best for you because it's the lowest maintainence.

For cranks, Shimano Saints can be had for relatively cheap online and they'll last for a long time. Plus it sounds like you're a beginner, and they're easy to set up. Look used on these.

Avid Juicys, Shimano Saints, Maguras, Hopes, Formulas, and Hayes are all good brakes. It's a balance of availability of parts, price, power, and reliability. I really like Saints and Juicys.

Sram X-9 shifters and derailleurs are a good blend of price and performance, as are Shimano offerings. I would look at used shifters in good shape to keep cost down.

Mavic rims are nice but expensive, Suns are nice as well. For hubs, Hopes are a good bang for your buck. However, you'll have to build your wheels if you buy the wheels' parts individually, so maybe look at a nice pair of pre-built wheels like Azonic Outlaws.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
BFloFoxRider. said:
why not get that fork?
its either that or the FOX 40RC2
or the manitou DORADO
but this one has 8.5 onches of travel the fox 40 rc2 has 8 and the dorado has 7.5
inches of travel should not be the only thing you look at when gettin a fork...your 14, you better have some rich ass parents or you better be counting those pennies. go for quality not quantitiy

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well money is not an issue... just the more expensive the longer it takes. i get 10 dollars an hour and can work basically whenever i want with the exception of when i have to go to school. i like the FOX40RC2 but i was lloking at the foes inverted one...whats the deal why does everyone say it sucks?

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
BFloFoxRider. said:
well money is not an issue... just the more expensive the longer it takes. i get 10 dollars an hour and can work basically whenever i want with the exception of when i have to go to school. i like the FOX40RC2 but i was lloking at the foes inverted one...whats the deal why does everyone say it sucks?
it's heavy, it's prone to have the internals break\, it's super expensive, it's notoriously harsh on small bumps.

There are far more worthy forks at a much lower price range. Get a Fox 40 if you want the spend lots of money. At least the fork will work good.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Pass on the Dorado. Great fork, awesome performance. But requires frequent maintenance to keep it nice and smooth. Fork's been discontinued so parts have been getting hard to find. People buying up entire lots of parts and extra forks to keep theirs running.

Pass on the Foes, way too much. You have to use THEIR rotor and THEIR hub. If either of those get trashed, you're hosed. It's not something that's kept stocked at any ol' shop.

If you decide to go with Hayes brakes, no El Caminos or HFX-9s. Both are problematic. The Nines lack modulation, the ECs lack power and fade like crazy. Mags are the only way to go with Hayes.

My Juicies have been wonderful to me. I like Shimano, Magura, and Formula brakes as well. Hopes can go either way.

Saint cranks. That's where it's at. Relatively light, very strong.

Outlaw wheels are great bang for the buck. If money is no object. Hadleys are super nice hubs.

e13 chainguide

SRAM x9 is good stuff. If you want, do an x0 shifter. Don't bother with an x0 rear derailleur. Derailleurs get mangled pretty often, and x0s are real pricey to be replacing every other race.

Thomson seatposts are nice.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
um when i save up 2500 bucks. i have like 100
lol
but i can make 100 bucks every day if i work 10 hours
so do the math... its gonna take time but it will make it all the worth while

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
BFloFoxRider. said:
i like the azonic outlaws... theyre nice strong and cheap... normally 280ish i can get for about 180 or less
hook me up on a set of outlaws for 180!

seriously, if money is no object for you, pair that bad list up with some I9's. and probably a rack for your ferrari just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alrighty you send me the money ill have the rims for you in two weeks.
and im not rich
money just isnt an option because im working for it and if it cost more ill just work longer to get more money

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is this your first DH bike? Because it's going to be super funny if you spend a ton of cash and lose interest in a month. Just get a complete, like a Giant Glory or Iron Horse Sunday WC, both are speced awesome and will be cheaper than a complete build.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea i know its cheaper
i thought about the dh team, the glory dh, and the sunday expert. i want to get a bike that will last me forever
im not sure i want to build this turner but if something happens those 3 bikes are my fallback

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
BFloFoxRider. said:
You are probabley light weoght so won't notice but inverted forks generally flex more. Also the fork is alot of $$$$$ get a BOXXER wc or a FOX and buy the frame for the difference.. Also look at SAINT brakes and drivetrain it is pretty nice and super cheap right now.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
You're 14, forget about a bike lasting forever, you're going to grow. You'll need a bigger bike at some point. Also, Giant doesn't make the DH team anymore, your choices are the Glory DH or the Glory(freeride) as far as new bikes go.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I just realized your age....

maybe you don't think about it yet, but it will happen.... DRIVER'S LISCENCE! Living in North America, you're gonna want to get a car in just a couple of years. There's hardly any good public transportation here, and that fork you were just looking at is worth more than my current car...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.