Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new vpx...

With the "lightweight" wheeset/tires (pictured) its about 39 lbs on the bathroom scale. Add a few more with the dh setup. I could lose some weight, maybe a 66sl ata fork, xt cranks, x4 stem and dhx air shock would cut a few lbs off, but thats a lot of cash. I'll probably just ride it as is and buy an xcish bike later.

I'm snowed in here in CO, I may head somewhere warm to go ride during spring break, no action shots until then :madman:

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one goodridge line 'cause the stock line was too short (I bought the brakes used last year). I will shorten it one of these days too...

The bar ends will go if I get some armored gloves... they have been whacked into trees enough to justify keeping them on there for now. I knew I'd get some $hit for 'em... :D

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MonkeyBidnezz said:
Sweet ride. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of bar ends on a DH/FR bike lol.

Out of curiosity, is your front tire on backwards? Looks like the tread pattern is going the wrong direction.
I almost removed them for the pics 'cause I knew this woud happen :D

They have saved my hands many times, we have some tight trails with trees here in CO, I'll be using this bike for backcountry travel as well as at Keystone, so every once in a while I'll use them on long climbs. The Boxxer Ride is also nice for climbing with a bigger bike.

But thanks for your concern about the bar ends, really :ciappa:

The front tire is a Schwalbe, thats how they are supposed to go. I double checked that one myself, but Schwalbe says to run it like they labeled it... they are really good tires (Nobby Nic and Big Betty) for trail use.

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
I'm not concerned with the looks of them, I just have been in a few crazy wrecks and can imagine them imbeded into my torso. Did u buy the goodridges online? I would like some of them on my steed.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Those are not bar ends, they are Bark Busters (moto X hand guards)...atleast that is what you can tell everybody.

Nice Ride..just one suggestion, run your front brake hose on the inside of the fork lowers. The routing and length will be the same, just wrap it around the inside. A nice stiff branch could very well leave you front-brakeless the way it is.

Have fun!

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
davec113 said:
I almost removed them for the pics 'cause I knew this woud happen :D

They have saved my hands many times, we have some tight trails with trees here in CO, I'll be using this bike for backcountry travel as well as at Keystone, so every once in a while I'll use them on long climbs. The Boxxer Ride is also nice for climbing with a bigger bike.

But thanks for your concern about the bar ends, really :ciappa:

The front tire is a Schwalbe, thats how they are supposed to go. I double checked that one myself, but Schwalbe says to run it like they labeled it... they are really good tires (Nobby Nic and Big Betty) for trail use.
that makes no sense to me... you seem to be losing clearance inbetween trees with bar-ends, not to mention risk hooking one and smashing your hand even worse!!! or when protecting your hands, do you aim your bars sideways at the trees? if you're a hardcore bar-end guy, at least pick up some real ones that wrap in a the ends like old ibis rosies or control techs (similar to bark busters that wrap around your hand on an enduro, like davep mentioned) or something of the like, not the little stubby bullhorn hand traps, that's asking for it IMO. that said, if you're regularly bashing your bars on trees in tight singletrack, I'd work on the wobble skills so you don't have to rely on guards... :p

Classy rig though, the cables are outta control, but the things looks versatile and fun as heck! have fun with'er!

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ugh, the cable routing on the vpx is tough... most people route thru the suspension link on the top tube, but it can pinch the cables at bottom out. The rd is ok, but the fd cable needs to make that dorky little loop around the sus link to get it where it needs to be. I might look into trying to get a 90 degree banjo fitting into the rear brake, not sure why Magura needed to have the brake line like that :confused:

The bar ends really do work to protect hands, usually youre not so far off line that they grab anything, but I've whacked the front of them into trees before. Maybe I'll get some of the Rockgardn Carbon Fiber gloves?

There's no doubt my wobble (as well all other) skills needs work ;) I'm thinking of trying to find a skills camp early this summer... I live near Keystone, I might look into getting the University of Colorado's outdoor program to sponsor a mt. bike skills workshops or camps up there with a Coach or local race team. Just an idea at this stage, but I'd bet a lot of CU students would go for it.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
davep said:
Those are not bar ends, they are Bark Busters (moto X hand guards)...atleast that is what you can tell everybody.

Nice Ride..just one suggestion, run your front brake hose on the inside of the fork lowers. The routing and length will be the same, just wrap it around the inside. A nice stiff branch could very well leave you front-brakeless the way it is.

Have fun!
Thanks I'll do that

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Okay, you asked for it.....Nice BAR ENDS, do you have the lycra shorts to match!!!! Ha Ha!!

You'd be better off making some sort of home made, brush buster from a couple of milk jugs. At least you wouldn't get so much sh#t!!!

Kool bike though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.