Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must start with a short story before sharing my excitement over my new present...

I got my bike about a year and a half ago, it's a Trek 4500. It was meant to be a starter bike, however, I absolutely fell in love with it. I'm one of those people who likes what I have, because it's what I have. I don't go out and try out tons of other bikes, because I think mine is perfect. Anyways....my fiance rides a Santa Cruz, with 5" of travel. So when I'm getting beat up in the washed out creek beds of the West Virginia mountains we ride, he doesn't necessarily "feel my pain". (we usually ride at Big Bear in WV, where they just had the 24 hr race) Not to mention, I'm exhausted by the time he's just getting started. It always seemed strange to me that when I was done riding, my shoulders hurt the worst.

So we've had the to buy or not to buy a FS for a while now...however, like I said, I love my bike! I think it's the greatest thing ever, mainly because I have nothing to compare it to. Unfortunately, it's got a less than stellar fork on it, that basically serves no purpose for little ol' me. We actually traded bikes for about 5 minutes last time we went riding, and I could hear him up ahead of me going "ouch, ooh, ow" it was quite hilarious!

So, (here's the good part) yesterday I walk into his garage....and there it is...an '05 Marzocchi MX, just waiting for me!! What a shock!! Well, of course I wanted it on my bike right away...unfortunately, that wasn't going to happen, he went to WV this weekend...and I stayed behind. So I have to wait until next week to try it out...I hope he's still buying me bike part presents after we're married!! :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
That is cool!!! :cool:
I love stories like this, makes me happy to see shared passions!
And i like your attitude too, the whole 'run what you brung' sort of thing.

BTW sorry to barge into the WL, just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
mddirtgrl said:
So, (here's the good part) yesterday I walk into his garage....and there it is...an '05 Marzocchi MX, just waiting for me!! What a shock!! Well, of course I wanted it on my bike right away...unfortunately, that wasn't going to happen, he went to WV this weekend...and I stayed behind. So I have to wait until next week to try it out...I hope he's still buying me bike part presents after we're married!! :D
You have to remember that men like toys. Even if they aren't their own. Maybe I'm lucky, but my SO seems to like getting bike gear for me. He *says* that if it makes the ride "better, smoother, faster, easier; whatever", then he thinks it's money well spent. Right... It's more like he likes to buy gear. (or maybe he thinks I won't notice his new bike or kayak gear :cool: )

But more seriously.... I bet that he likes to ride with you and he *will* keep getting you bike swag. Just don't forget to get him some every now and then just to keep him on his toes.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Try installing it yourself? Shouldnt be that hard depending on your mechanical skill.
I know I couldnt wait a week to try it out with it just sitting there taunting me ;)

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
I remember back 6 years ago when my bf got me a new fork for my birthday--I couldn't think of a more perfect present and it greatly helped my riding! It's even sweeter for you since it is an "out of the blue" gift!

Enjoy!
Mary Ann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.