Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I hope you’re well.

So, being the thirty-something, stressed-out, cubicle-dwelling, corporate-ladder-climbing dude that I am, I thought that a bit of mid-life crisis and waistline expansion aversion was in order.

Having been on a bike since I was young enough to know no fear, a shiny new two-wheeler seemed to be in order. But not another road bike. No, it was time for something else. Time for something familiar but uniquely different.

It was time to get dirty.

I did a bit of research, picked up a GF Cobia from the LBS and hit the local trails. Long story short, it is the single best investment I’ve made in a long time. I absolutely love this ride and everything that goes along with it, from the community to the absurd techniques that I though would never be commonplace on my daily ride.

I owe a lot of the information that helped me get started to this excellent forum. There are numerous forums and blogs that I frequent covering a wide range of topics, but this is my current favorite without a doubt. I couldn’t imagine a more perfect conglomeration of perfect ladies and gentlemen and dirty, drunken ba$tard$. And everyone in between, of course.

As entertainment for the veterans, and information to the neophytes, I would like to offer a few of my initial impressions about mountain biking:

- One can easily find irony between the fact that an experienced, determined rider can pretty much get to any spot on the planet with an MTB and the fact that riding a few inches off the single track is a BAD IDEA. Of course, seeing as my local trails are riddled with “triple-track”, I understand what all the fuss is about. I’ll be looking to participate in local trail maintenance day.

- Although I didn’t take the plunge, I can appreciate the purity of the single speeders. They are definitely on to something.

- I love the video section, but not just for the crashes. I’ve learned a lot from watching riders choose their lines.

- Technique > technology.

- Getting passed on the trails by cross bikes is no fun. A Surly Cross-Check may be on my Christmas list.

- Passing roadies on the way to the trail is BIG FUN.

- Last but not least, check your water bottle for mud before you stick it in your mouth.

See you on the trails…

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Alphatone said:
Hey everybody. I hope you're well.

So, being the thirty-something, stressed-out, cubicle-dwelling, corporate-ladder-climbing dude that I am, I thought that a bit of mid-life crisis and waistline expansion aversion was in order.

Having been on a bike since I was young enough to know no fear, a shiny new two-wheeler seemed to be in order. But not another road bike. No, it was time for something else. Time for something familiar but uniquely different.

It was time to get dirty.

I did a bit of research, picked up a GF Cobia from the LBS and hit the local trails. Long story short, it is the single best investment I've made in a long time. I absolutely love this ride and everything that goes along with it, from the community to the absurd techniques that I though would never be commonplace on my daily ride.

I owe a lot of the information that helped me get started to this excellent forum. There are numerous forums and blogs that I frequent covering a wide range of topics, but this is my current favorite without a doubt. I couldn't imagine a more perfect conglomeration of perfect ladies and gentlemen and dirty, drunken ba$tard$. And everyone in between, of course.

As entertainment for the veterans, and information to the neophytes, I would like to offer a few of my initial impressions about mountain biking:

- One can easily find irony between the fact that an experienced, determined rider can pretty much get to any spot on the planet with an MTB and the fact that riding a few inches off the single track is a BAD IDEA. Of course, seeing as my local trails are riddled with "triple-track", I understand what all the fuss is about. I'll be looking to participate in local trail maintenance day.

- Although I didn't take the plunge, I can appreciate the purity of the single speeders. They are definitely on to something.

- I love the video section, but not just for the crashes. I've learned a lot from watching riders choose their lines.

- Technique > technology.

- Getting passed on the trails by cross bikes is no fun. A Surly Cross-Check may be on my Christmas list.

- Passing roadies on the way to the trail is BIG FUN.

- Last but not least, check your water bottle for mud before you stick it in your mouth.

See you on the trails…
A very excellent first post, sir.

I especially liked your last tip about "checking the waterbottle for mud before you stick it in your mouth" .. lol... been there, done that trick. :)

Welcome to the dirty side.

R.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NTOM - your post makes no sense. Wouldn't he post with his original username? Otherwise how does he prove 'contribution'

·
Registered
204 Posts
mr.shorty said:
NTOM - your post makes no sense. Wouldn't he post with his original username? Otherwise how does he prove 'contribution'
Well, it does make sense if you think about it. Go reread the thread where someone accuses him of not contributing to this forum and thus is not a member, so he creates another account, posts a feel good story that everyone approves of and then later can pull it out that everyone really likes him, they just didnt know it.

But I was just kidding anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know you were kidding, I just had to call you out... no harm meant :)

And Alphatone - welcome to the sport. Leave your wallet, credit cards, and bank account info with your nearest LBS. They are called "dealers" for a reason :D

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
Yea lets just try to leave the "RyderInjuries" issue where it belongs... in its own thread.

The rest of the board is about biking, not dumb lawsuits :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.