Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my local bike shop called with the news that my new Orbea 29er Alma carbon frame had arrived. I purchased the frame only because I already own the Orbea 29er aluminum version and I will transfer components from that bike to the new one.

First impressions, it’s the most beautiful bike frame I have ever seen. In my eyes this frame is almost a work of art. I can’t believe I’m going to take this beauty off road.

This is very different frame geometry than the aluminum version. It is very obvious Orbea didn’t just copy the aluminum design and cover it with carbon.

My frame is the 18-inch version and it weighs 1470 grams on the shop digital scale. Advertised weight is 1300 grams so we are re-weighing using a different scale tomorrow.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
For $200 I can offer you a nearly-new scale that reads 20% too low. Would you be interested?

;-)

(not spam, just joking)

·
Registered
266 Posts
you have to weigh it bike company style! No Water bottle cage bolts, no seat post clamp, no stickers, and no clear. Then it might be 1300

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Steve - I can't wait to see this thing! When you started talking about it that day in the carport, I could see that you had decided to do it. Will you have it built up by this weekend? If so, I'll bring the digicam and we can get some pics up for these bike whores. ;)

Congrats - That is going to be one fast ride! Me thinks it has the Herbs 6 hour in it's sight...

I'll see you soon...

LP

·
Registered
127 Posts
geometry

Memphisrider said:
Today my local bike shop called with the news that my new Orbea 29er Alma carbon frame had arrived. I purchased the frame only because I already own the Orbea 29er aluminum version and I will transfer components from that bike to the new one.

First impressions, it’s the most beautiful bike frame I have ever seen. In my eyes this frame is almost a work of art. I can’t believe I’m going to take this beauty off road.

This is very different frame geometry than the aluminum version. It is very obvious Orbea didn’t just copy the aluminum design and cover it with carbon.

My frame is the 18-inch version and it weighs 1470 grams on the shop digital scale. Advertised weight is 1300 grams so we are re-weighing using a different scale tomorrow.
What is different about the geometry between the alum and carbon Alma 29rs?:confused:

·
Work Shed...
563 Posts
not much, just seat tube length and head tube.. Gotta remember though, this is an in between size compared to the Alu orbea 29er.. They have 17.5 and 19 inch Alu frames, while the carbon is only in 18" until '07, when more sizes will become available.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I got some confusion going when I posted that the “geometry” was different.

That statement was very unsophisticated technically, a poor word.:blush:

I was trying to state that the Carbon “shape” was different from its aluminum brother. When I ordered the carbon Alma I thought it would be almost an exact copy of the aluminum frame only made from carbon. It is not a "carbon copy" of the aluminum:p

Rootberry, yes this will be a race bike, ultimately a 1x9. I have DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims with 240 disk hubs and many tire combinations. WB fork.

Lanpope will help me post pictures next week.

Sorry for the geometry confusion.

·
Work Shed...
563 Posts
The shape of the carbon tubing is beaAutiful. I'm glad to see that it will be a race machine- make sure you post the total build weight when she is all done! I hope to get 2-3 races under my belt in august-september and I'd love to get good enough to have that as my racin mochine!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts