Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks.
But I was really looking for someone with first hand experience that could note features on the bike that could possibly give it away.
Everything I am finding when it comes to a 2006 id 5 1.0 seems to be silver color. Though the 2006 4.0 came in a blue it seems to different than the one listed. So that is the main thing confusing me.
Note the team pike front fork, markings on the top tube, and the color.

Thanks
 

·
My gloves stink
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Does it matter?

kawikikz said:
Thanks.
But I was really looking for someone with first hand experience that could note features on the bike that could possibly give it away.
Everything I am finding when it comes to a 2006 id 5 1.0 seems to be silver color. Though the 2006 4.0 came in a blue it seems to different than the one listed. So that is the main thing confusing me.
Note the team pike front fork, markings on the top tube, and the color.

Thanks
There was no diff in the 1.0 and 4.0 frames. The only differences were the components. Maybe the bike was a 4.0 frame built up to something approximating a 1.0. A Pike Team is a great fork, I've got one on my Force. Carefully assess the bike's build, condition, fit, and feel, and don't sweat the 1.0 or 4.0 thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am going to go jump on it tomorrow and check everything out. I'm thinking 550 for the bike will be a steal if it is in excellent condition. This will be my first mtb and for some reason I am partial to getting this gt over a similar giant nrs-3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the design on the top tube it actually looks like it is a 2005 not a 2006..
Hmm. Still worth it? what do you think?
 

·
My gloves stink
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
$550 would be a good price

kawikikz said:
Thanks for the reply. I am going to go jump on it tomorrow and check everything out. I'm thinking 550 for the bike will be a steal if it is in excellent condition. This will be my first mtb and for some reason I am partial to getting this gt over a similar giant nrs-3.
The NRS and the ID5 are different animals. The NRS is more of an XC racer. The ID5 is a trail bike, with a more relaxed, upright position, more travel, and a beefier frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
I think the 2005 and 2006 frame are the same. 2007 and up has a slightly different frame.
Like Appendage said, there is no difference in the frames, just the components. Looking at the picture, it might be a 4.0 frame built up with 1.0 level components.
http://bikepedia.com has good bike spec information.
If the bike is in good shape and you can get it for $550 that would definitely be a great deal. I think the important thing is to check the high dollar parts on the bike to make sure they are in good working condition.

I was in the same situation as you are about a month ago. I was looking at either the iDrive or the NRS and finally picked up a 2005 iDrive 5 2.0 for $700. Looking back, I probably paid a bit more than I should have for the bike but oh well it is done and I learned a lot about working on the bike and I still saved a bunch of money by buying used so I'm happy. If I ever buy another used bike though, I'll definitely be more savvy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool congrats on your new bike it sounds like you are enjoying it. I am interested to see what this "i-drive" drive train is all about. There are so many used bikes floating around on ebay and craigslist it is enough to make your head spin. But the GT name and the i-drive mechanism make me really want this bike.
And he had it listed for 700 initially but I haggled it down to 550$. But when it was at 600$ Im not going to lie. I was excited.
 

·
My gloves stink
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Works for me

kawikikz said:
cool congrats on your new bike it sounds like you are enjoying it. I am interested to see what this "i-drive" drive train is all about. There are so many used bikes floating around on ebay and craigslist it is enough to make your head spin. But the GT name and the i-drive mechanism make me really want this bike.
And he had it listed for 700 initially but I haggled it down to 550$. But when it was at 600$ Im not going to lie. I was excited.
I've ridden a few different suspension designs- DW Link, FSR, single pivot, I-Drive. IMHO, properly set up, they all work well. Some do some things better than others. Some are simpler, or easier to work on, or less maintenance-intensive than others. I could be happy with any of them, but for my money, the ID is the best combination of performance and ease of maintenance.

An 05 or 06 ID5 will have the complication of the tendency to break flexbones. Not a big deal, and a simple trailside repair, but you've gotta make sure you carry a spare.
 

·
On wuss patrol
Joined
·
5,159 Posts
It looks like a decent bike and so congrats on your purchase. Water under the bridge but it looks like it was misrepresented in the CL ad in that it looks like a lower model than the 1.0 and the Pike is likely not the original fork. The RD and other components are not consistent with the 1.0 level bike.

Appendage said:
An 05 or 06 ID5 will have the complication of the tendency to break flexbones. Not a big deal, and a simple trailside repair, but you've gotta make sure you carry a spare.
This. Always carry a spare Flexbone and multi-tool to change it out. To finish riding with a broken one will ruin stuff.

Enjoy the ride.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top