Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 01 Bullit I'd posted about here a couple of weeks ago up to Whistler this weekend for my 1st real day of riding it. It was a blast! Compared to the Norco A-Line I used to have, the Bullit was SO much faster, handled better, and still soaked up most of the chatter bumps on the trails. The Domain 318 fork was very plush and compliant, but I can see I'm going to want to do something about the Vanilla RC shock on it soon. It was OK, but a bit too bouncy for my liking. I've looked into getting it PUSHed, but it's the original 7.875 x 2.25 and I'd rather go up to a 8.5 x 2.5 to better match the Domain.

A DHX 3/4/5 would seem the logical choice, but I've seen other posts on here saying that the Manitou Swinger is a good match for the Bullit. I know nothing about them...would they be a good alternative for that type of riding? I'm not doing any huge drops, but I do like to hit 3-4 footers and jumps along the way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loll said:
BTW, DHX is now RC4, RC2???, no more DHX 5.0 with propedal.
Crap!!! I was just starting to figure out the difference between DHX 3,4, and 5...

I'm past the point of trying to keep up all the latest nomenclature. I just ask my son! Just give me something that I can set and forget, and doesn't need to be serviced every month!

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Johnny LaRoux said:
I'm not familiar with Avalanche. Are you suggesting that I get a rebuild through them or one of their shocks? Are they better than Push? Or a DHX, Swinger etc?
They are a very good company with quality shocks and service. Johnny, if you're going to pedal your Bullit around very much, you still might want to consider a shock like the Swinger coil with SPV. The Bullit responds very well to SPV shocks like Manitou and the old Progressive 5th E coil without killing the plushness. The DHX coil has enough initial compression damping to be pretty good for pedaling efficiency too. I've had Bullits since '99, and have always found the bike to get pretty mushy with a very active shock. This is not a problem for downhill, shuttle, and many bike park applications, but if you try to use the bike as more of an all-arounder, it gets to be a good deal of work to climb and such with a soft shock. Many do it, but just be warned that '99-'05 Bullits have a very active suspension with a shock lacking any pedaling efficiency inputs. Many have gone to having two shocks for really varied riding duties.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TNC said:
Johnny, if you're going to pedal your Bullit around very much, you still might want to consider a shock like the Swinger coil with SPV. The Bullit responds very well to SPV shocks like Manitou and the old Progressive 5th E coil without killing the plushness.
Thanks for the info TNC. I didn't mind the Vanilla RC for the runs I did at Whistler this past weekend, but as you say, it's very active while pedalling. As this is currently my "all-round" bike, I want something that will pedal decently on trails, such as they are in this area...very rooty and rocky.

I see a lot of Swinger Coil 4-way shocks on ebay and Pinkbike, and they are generally MUCH cheaper than DHX's, so I assumed they were generally an inferior shock, but I'm quickly learning through these forums that what works well on some suspension designs does not necessarily work on a single pivot like the Bullit, and visa-versa. The Swinger or 5th E certainly fits my current budget better than a DHX!

Coming from a roadie and XC background and being thrown into the world of Freeride and Bike Parks (not that I'm complaining!) I'm finding that there is much to learn in regards to suspension design and shocks...but this is a great place to use as a resource!

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
The Swingers are probably not as popular because of the SPV. More bikes nowdays have more effective designs built right into their suspension to not require a pedal platform shock like SPV units. IMO they are not inferior units, just not as popular because of the SPV. Additionally, some just have more of an apprehension towards a Manitou rear shock as opposed to a Fox. I've been inside of both and get to see a lot wear and tear on both. I don't see a durability shortfall with either.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TNC said:
The Swingers are probably not as popular because of the SPV. More bikes nowdays have more effective designs built right into their suspension to not require a pedal platform shock like SPV units. IMO they are not inferior units, just not as popular because of the SPV. Additionally, some just have more of an apprehension towards a Manitou rear shock as opposed to a Fox. I've been inside of both and get to see a lot wear and tear on both. I don't see a durability shortfall with either.
I think you're right about the Manitou name...at least up here. It's either Fox or Marzocchi...I mentioned to one of my son's riding buddies that the Swinger was supposed to be a good shock for the Bullit. He said "don't get it! Those are lousy shocks"...although he didn't really know why! :D I'm already bucking the trend at Whistler on my "old" non-DH bike, might as well go all the way!

I just missed one on ebay that went for $57!! I'll keep watching!

Thanks as always for your insight TNC!

John

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought a Swinger 4 way!

Just got it today and installed it on the Bullit. I followed Manitou's manual for the initial set up, but will probably need to tweak as time goes on.

I started with about 100psi in the SPV chamber (I'm about 185 w/o gear). I'm not quite sure about the setting of the 16mm Air Volume adjuster. I've got it set about 1 full turn in from full counter-clockwise (open?) to try at Whistler. The spring is 400lb, and sag seems to be about right at 1 turn of the compression ring.

I haven't had a chance to give it a proper test ride yet, but if anyone has any other tuning suggestions....

Thanks

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
JL, I'd start with the SPV chamber fully open...counterclockwise. Even though it's called an SPV chamber and does affect pedaling platform, it also affects bottomout. 100 psi is a good starting point in the piggyback. This shock will be similar to a 5th E coil but more refined. Be patient. There's a juggling act between these elements that can bring really great performance on your Bullit with this shock. Take small tweaks as you go to see what the outcome is. People often start jacking with two or more elements at a time and never get a handle on what change did what to the suspension performance with these shocks. Tell us how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts