Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
WI. Big Boy MTBer
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks getting a new..well, old bike. A '97 Ground Control AIM A1

I found this bike locally and am getting it for $100 as seen here minus the trainer.
Aside from the gel saddle and Indy fork..you Specialized guys think this thing is worth the $100?? It is near perfect shape and its previous owner used it soley for a winter trainer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It should be free since it appears the chainstays are either mounted on the wrong side, or the stickers were put on upside down! lol

I would pay $100.00 IF IT FITS.

Chris

·
WI. Big Boy MTBer
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
96m2comp said:
It should be free since it appears the chainstays are either mounted on the wrong side, or the stickers were put on upside down! lol

I would pay $100.00 IF IT FITS.

Chris
Haha, funny I hadn't noticed that!

Bike fits perfectly!!!!!
It's gonna get me back on the trails again!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I still ride the one I bought in 97 and it still rocks, of course everything has been upgraded over the years, just added a Tora long travel fork. I've waited for the frame to break but it never did, have ridden it in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida (really). I'll buy a new all-mountain someday, when school is done (I've gone back), but for now the old Ground Control is going to Arizona again in August! P.S. there is a bearing kit for the rear swing arms from a source in England.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is the stem Titanium? If so, and it's that old, throw it far away. If not, sorry I mentioned it.

Many have been injured by old Ti stems, which is what (unless my memory fails me) that one appears to be.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
That stem looks like the original aluminum X-tra long version that came on many bikes of the era. Even looks like the original decal.

·
WI. Big Boy MTBer
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike is all original except for the rapid fire/lever upgrade from Grip shift (OEM) and a fat guy saddle..which for now, I'll use..cuz..well..I'm fat.:D I have a WTB Laser V that I'll slap on once I get a few road miles in and some fanny callouses goin'

How much if any maintenance is required of the suspension linkage.? This is my first full suspension bike..so in that sense, I am kind of a nOOb.
Also, do you guys know if heavier springs are still available for the stock rear shock ?

*edit: The shifters are RF pods with original brake levers.

·
WI. Big Boy MTBer
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gsmarcano said:
I still ride the one I bought in 97 and it still rocks, of course everything has been upgraded over the years, just added a Tora long travel fork. I've waited for the frame to break but it never did, have ridden it in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida (really). I'll buy a new all-mountain someday, when school is done (I've gone back), but for now the old Ground Control is going to Arizona again in August! P.S. there is a bearing kit for the rear swing arms from a source in England.
Cool beans!
So it's a good buy at $100 then...?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I'd say it's definitely worth $100. That thing is pretty cherry, and you'll get way more than a $100 use out of it. Use it as a backup bike or one you can loan to a friend to ride.

·
WI. Big Boy MTBer
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am meeting the owner to take possession of the bike tonight.
This will be my only bike. I have been away for awhile. I had gotten a Fisher Wahoo mid season last year, but it wrecked my back so I sold it. Now, I had been toying with the idea of getting a full suspension rig this season and I happened across this one.!
Time to hit some local singletrack (rubber side down;) )

I'm glad that I am getting something at least decent and seemingly a pretty good deal!:thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Even as a McStrut rear end design, I think you'll find the fork to be the weakest link in that bike. The rear worked darned well even with that simple shock. If you can pick up a cheap 4" fork somewhere, it might be worth it. The Indy/Jet series forks were severe noodles. I had a Marz 4" coil fork on mine, and it worked great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
TNC said:
That stem looks like the original aluminum X-tra long version that came on many bikes of the era. Even looks like the original decal.
Can't be too careful, must have been brainfade on my part. Those specialized (I think they were Spec) Ti stems were dangerous. My old LBS owner had a broken one on display, then I showed up with a bike fitted with one and he had a mild anxiety attack! ;) Threw that thing away...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes its worth 100 bucks for sure. I do take the swing arm bushing set apart once a year or so and clean it and use a dry lithium type lube. I've changed the forks, wheels derailers, crankset, brakes and maybe a few more things over the years, not really because they broke but to achieve the never-ending "upgrade". Only a squeak from the bottom bracket is to be heard now, but its done some hard riding over the years. It is time for a new all-mountain version now. You should get quite a few years or rides out of this bike, depending on how hard you ride. One upgrade that will pay off is a fork upgrade, the tech has come so far in the last ten years!

·
Registered
188 Posts
WELL..... did you get the bike???????

As I was checking the bike out, something didn't look right. That is when I noticed the upsidedown stickers! Thats ok, my newly aquired Epic Expert (every component is what the Expert was spec'd with) has Epic Comp stickers, though the graphics are correct for the Expert! Friday build maybe?????? LOL!!!

I still have one of those LONG stems, in the tool box. Came stock on my '96 Stumpy M2 Comp.

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, not sure about his upside down stickers or if the chainstays are upside down, don't know if they'd fit like that, or work for that matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts