Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've been lurking around here for the last five months while waiting for my Nomad! just came in... :D Built up from scratch, here it is:

Medium Polished / DHX Air
FOX 36RC Talas
King Headset
Thomson X4 stem
Thomson layback post
generic bontrager saddle
Easton EA30 bars
XTR shifters
Saint brakes, 8" rotors
Crossmax XL wheelset
Kenda Blue Groove / Nevegal 2.35 (with tubes)
XTR cassette
Saint Cranks
Sram PC991 chain
Shimano DX old style spd's
XTR front derailleur
XTR rear derailleur

total weight: 32.8 lbs

One thing I noticed was that the replacable derailleur hangar is attached to the end of the chainstay. Since i'm always one for clean looks, I thought of removing it and sliding some heat shrink tubing over the chainstay. Heat evenly and voila! looks great and it's quite a thick layer. If this is old news then please forgive me! pictures attached...

I'm pretty sure i used 1-1/2" heat shrink tubing

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Spoke

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Spoke Rim

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm still surprised at how well it turned out

My friend snagged me some from his work... you could probably find it in any electrical supply store

Apparently there is heat shrink tubing in clear (!)

Do the other SC bikes have the same hangar design? If so this could work for more than just the Nomad.

phil

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing...

drumstix said:
Very clean! Check the lengh of your chain it looks perty tight.
...And you're not even in low back there.

The heat shrink look is sweet! All the SC VPP bikes share similar (not same!) hangers. I've seen the BLT and the Nomad hangers and they are easy to confuse unless you have them next to each other...

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
That heatshrink looks quite clean. I may try it too.
The Blurs seem to have a similar (but not same) hanger as the Nomad, so in theory u could do the same with them.
VPFrees, (maybe Hecklers, Chameleons) are no go for heatshrink fitting on in one piece - due to the design of the swingram/dropout.

I didnt know u could get clear heatshrink... interesting.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that chain is way too tight. I switched derailleurs and haven't had a chance to add some links. It took only an hour of riding on it to remove the rapid-rise derailleur I had on it! Oh well, at least i gave it a go :D

phil

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Cool!

Brilliant idea!
You can get shrink sleeving in a lot of colors.

Also, you can "layer" it.
What I'd like to do is get both black and clear tubing.
Install the black first, then place stickers/logos, etc.
Then cover it with the clear tubing.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a cool idea Mudd, I initially thought about putting a few layers of tubing, but after we were done the first layer, It was already quite beefy! If you ask me, they should come out of the factory like this!

phil

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Pizzaman

Thanks! I haven't ridden too much on the bike yet, but so far I like the setback. I was borderline between medium and large, but I do prefer a tighter cockpit as opposed to stretched out. The setback helped lengthen it out. I haven't noticed any difficulties climbing either

phil

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see why one couldn't do the seatstay... you would have to cut out small holes for the cable housing lugs... other than that piece of cake.

I expect it to be quite durable, it's already thicker than an innertube wrapped around the stay.

phil

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.