Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Eh?
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Thought I'd post some pictures that I took when I was out in the city fooling around with the digital camera. Now I finally have some good memories in case my bike were to ever get run over by a train...Knock on Wood (probably me riding into a tree). I just replaced my old Niterider Digital Pro 12-E with an HID Flamethrower and it's turning out to be a great upgrade. I love it because I have more colour coming back at me which makes it easier on the eyes and easier to see the ground and obstacles in front of me.

I also have attached pictures that I took with the Flamethrower at full 12 watts and also the lowest at 10 watts. You can see the colour temperature difference in the light output. I prefer 12 watt all the time because of the whiter light. The bluer hue of 10 watts is way too hard on my eyes in the trails. But 11 is a great in between and I can handle that if I need to squeeze some extra burn time out of the light system. For all who complain that they have to turn on the HID before they can turn off the LED lights, there is a solution. To save igniting the HID lamp after you have used the LEDs, just unplug the battery and reattach. Have fun night riding for all who do and stay safe!

Attachments

·
Eh?
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bike_freak said:
Cool pictures and nice lights..
Whats the burn time on those at the different settings?
Niterider Flamethrower Info

12 watts = 4 hours
11 watts = 5 hours
10 watts = 6 hours
LEDs = 80 hours

I really want to see in person how the Light & Motion Li-Ion system is since it's running at 13.5 watts with a burn time of 3 hours. To me on my system, every watt makes a difference in light colour. L&M must be even whiter than Niterider's product.

·
Still chuggin' along
875 Posts
Great shots! I really like the one with the stars in the background :)
Is this new in Niterider's lineup? I wonder how the reliability is going to be. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions again, say, the end of next Spring after you've gotten a few months on them and worked out any bugs.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Great stuff.

I can honestly say, that my all time favorite purchase of bikes or related parts has been a HID light. It makes the whole night riding experience, which is fantastic to begin with even more exciting, thrilling and enjoyable.

I purchased a similar HID setup recently (Lupine Edison 10) and have done more night riding than I have ever done in the past.

HID technology for riding IMHO is just as good an invention as suspension was for bikes...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
not too new.

kpicha said:
Great shots! I really like the one with the stars in the background :)
Is this new in Niterider's lineup? I wonder how the reliability is going to be. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions again, say, the end of next Spring after you've gotten a few months on them and worked out any bugs.
I've used one since last November. Reliable and long running.

P.S. From last night's ride. You can tell who has what.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stars in the sky..

The picture with stars in the sky is my new work wallpaper. Everyone has their kids or places they've never been to with little captions, and I have someone else's bike :D

Its too bad I had to strech it to fit :eek:

I love the 22" CRT they got me..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
mounting question

I just got a blowtorch. The light is good but there is quite a bit of play betewwn the bulb part & the mount, causing the light to jiggle. This is with the new universal mount. When I slide the bulb in, the fit is not super tight, hence the jiggle. Does yours jiggle? I've emailed NR 2 X, no response. I've been too busy at work to call. Maybe if I return it to performance for a refund NR will take notice??

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I've used Niterider for years and it seems that all mounts come out of the same mold and are always very tight. Check the screws that hold the mount pieces, one for the bulb and one on the universal itself. After that you're left with returning the light or inserting something to make the fit tighter.

·
Eh?
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My universal mount also wiggles so I don't even use it, it's useless on the trails because it bumps around all over creating an annoying flicker of light. I used my old Digital Pro 12-E mount and it is tight as ever. I also went to the bike store and picked up the other mount that has a clamp like a ski boot buckle. It is also tight. For the one who has the 22" monitor, did you want a higher res picture? I can email you the 5 megapixel version if you'd like since your monitor can handle all that resolution no problem! I love the night time, I feel free and also you get more respect from others...I like having a bit of power!! A good feeling to have and a good feeling to try if you haven't experienced it. :D Anyways thanks for the comments on the pictures as I love digital photography and I am trying my best to make my pictures look un-boring. Happy riding!

·
Registered
962 Posts
dirtpaws said:
This is one of the best photos I've seen posted on mtbr.
I wholeheartedly agree, if nothing else, desktop worthy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.