Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to go 27.5 and inspired on Ole's http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/project-sub-kilo-27-5-wheels-837797.html
Initially I was going to use Mack super light hubs with Pillar Megalite and LB carbon rims, but, Mack is only offering the Standard, couldn't find the Megalites on straight pull, so slight change of plans to Extralite and Sapim Cx-Rays on the same LB rims 28 h..
I'm not doing the build myself, my LBS is taking care of them
It's not going to be über-light, but…. rims are 360, 361gr and the rest is on pic
Still, about 140 gr less than my 26 Alpine with DT 240 :)

Attachments

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool what frame are they going on you have a 27.5 project? please tell
I'm updating my Turner Flux, taking advantage of the Turner-4-Turner trade in, still waiting for Medium polished, will be using the same cockpit, a TS8 Magura ELO, 2x10 XTR with the same Mythiccarbon crankset. It's been a sloow build, but hopefully it'll be ready for the Vallarta ride in July.

·
Registered
962 Posts
AC hubs 32 holes, DT revolution spokes 2x1.5, ebay blue alloy nipples.
Had the hubs re anodized blue. Having fun riding a hard tail again, 27.5.
Currently the 274, 272 mm spoke length size has been collecting dust at a local bike shop, picked up all they had in these sizes for a bargain. Same with the front hub, it was an oddball color.

·
Registered
356 Posts
How much is the Extralite?Where I can find it?

Ready to go 27.5 and inspired on Ole's http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/project-sub-kilo-27-5-wheels-837797.html
Initially I was going to use Mack super light hubs with Pillar Megalite and LB carbon rims, but, Mack is only offering the Standard, couldn't find the Megalites on straight pull, so slight change of plans to Extralite and Sapim Cx-Rays on the same LB rims 28 h..
It's not going to be über-light, but…. rims are 360, 361gr and the rest is on pic

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Very nice but between rims and tires you would have shaved off an additional 100-150 grams using a 26, and just counting the tires you probably have zero gain in respect to your old set up.

Going 650b is not exactly a weight-weenie move! (and the Flux is probably one of the heaviest frames you can pick to go weight-weenie!). :)

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Davide, maybe I'm not a weight-weenie anymore ;)
If we follow that rule the ultimate weight-weenie rig would be a carbon 20" with slicks.
Still, I like some weight conscious components on my heavy 27.5 Flux :thumbsup: which weighs around 10.1 kg at the moment.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Davide, maybe I'm not a weight-weenie anymore ;)
If we follow that rule the ultimate weight-weenie rig would be a carbon 20" with slicks.
Still, I like some weight conscious components on my heavy 27.5 Flux :thumbsup: which weighs around 10.1 kg at the moment.
You might not be! :yikes: ... weight-weenie wise it is indeed a bit hard to see why gain 200+ grams to run a wheel that has just 12 mm more in radius! ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
My WW racing wheelset comes in at 1177 for a 29er. My fun wheelset is closer to your weight at 1402. I don't think I would be inclined to spend that much on hubs then stick fat rims on them. You would have only gained about a 100g with more conventional hubs which would be far cheaper.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.