Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly finshed my Klein Attitude and thought I would share its birth with you.

Set up for the mean streets of London (no off-road for this fella) 1 x 5 gearing, super quick (especially accelerating and stopping) 15.8 lb all in, 1 missing brake (front) a seatpost that slips 25mm every couple of hours might have to go back to an alluminium post :-(

Took it out for its maden voyage this afternoon, fast !!!, tyres a bit dicey on anything but tarmac but roll pretty well for a semi-slick (might go fully slick a little bit down the road) XT cranks screwed into the Klein frame are remarkably stiff, I have heard people go on about how stiff they are but thought you really wouldn't notice unless you are a German metallurgist with half a million quids worth of testing equipment, but I can definitelyÂ*say you can feel how solid they are (compared to my last cranks, at least, which were 1999 XTs).

Also had to make a screw and do a bit of tinkering to get the dura ace rear mech to limit its travel to the five sprockets and not over shift. Vuelta V brakes are as good as any top end ones I have owned (Thanks Nino :) and my pride and joy, a homemade 'Klein' top cap.

Ty

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Give that post a chance. After 3-4 rides, they typically stop slipping. Mine slipped like crazy t first. I cleaned it real well, and then lightly sanded some crosshatch pattern to help out as well. Hardly ever slips nowadays. Been 3yrs.

Nice ride.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
cool...

•Ty• said:
Nearly finshed my Klein Attitude and thought I would share its birth with you.

Set up for the mean streets of London (no off-road for this fella) 1 x 5 gearing, super quick (especially accelerating and stopping) 15.8 lb all in, 1 missing brake (front) a seatpost that slips 25mm every couple of hours might have to go back to an alluminium post :-(

Took it out for its maden voyage this afternoon, fast !!!, tyres a bit dicey on anything but tarmac but roll pretty well for a semi-slick (might go fully slick a little bit down the road) XT cranks screwed into the Klein frame are remarkably stiff, I have heard people go on about how stiff they are but thought you really wouldn't notice unless you are a German metallurgist with half a million quids worth of testing equipment, but I can definitelyÂ*say you can feel how solid they are (compared to my last cranks, at least, which were 1999 XTs).

Also had to make a screw and do a bit of tinkering to get the dura ace rear mech to limit its travel to the five sprockets and not over shift. Vuelta V brakes are as good as any top end ones I have owned (Thanks Nino :) and my pride and joy, a homemade 'Klein' top cap.

Ty
that's a cool looking bike !
no grease on carbon posts! that should help in making it stick.
why those monster cranks? they look good but there's definitely lighter setups to be had...
i like the brakes;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duckman said:
Give that post a chance. After 3-4 rides, they typically stop slipping. Mine slipped like crazy t first. I cleaned it real well, and then lightly sanded some crosshatch pattern to help out as well. Hardly ever slips nowadays. Been 3yrs.

Nice ride.
might try that, I have also heard chalk realy helps.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
noslogan said:
Looks good and clean.

That's a "top cap" plug from a MC2, right!?
nearly!

it's the ' Lid ' off a MC3 top cap (the top cap being oversized will not fit into a 1-1/8th steerer tube) an off cut from a EC90 easton carbon bar and some carpet/duct tape + a little bit of 'NoNails' glue.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nino said:
that's a cool looking bike !
no grease on carbon posts! that should help in making it stick.
why those monster cranks? they look good but there's definitely lighter setups to be had...
i like the brakes;)
Monster cranks were cheap !! might look at Power arms or the new Extralite E bones W when I get some money, should save 209g (!!!!!!!!)

I like the Vuelta brakes too, unbelievably light around half the weight of XTR, you have to hold them in your hands next to some old XTs or XTRs to appreciate the difference, XTRs feel like lumps of iron next to them.

I have no grease on my post, never had and my frame has never had grease in it, so no problems there.

How do you know how much to tighten your carbon post ??????

I like the "Tighten untill you hear cracking noises then back off a half turn"

;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
donkekus said:
Tell me, us, more about the derailleur set up and 1x5er
INGREDIENTS:

1 x Dura ace SS rear mech
1 x Long screw (same pitch and diameter as shimano limits screws)
6 x Alloy spacers
5 x Dura ace sprockets, currently 11-12-13-14-15 but I may go to 11-12-13-16-17
obviously if you buy a standard 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21 you can swop them around to find what suits
1 x Dura ace lock ring

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Sweet, It should serve ya for a good long time. I set up an old Attitude for commuting duty thinking that would kill it off nicely. But it won't die.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bhsavery said:
see i dont know... at that point why don't you just do a singlespeed
I nomally spin around the place in 46/11, that gearing feels good at speed on the tarmac, but it's not much fun trying to climb over hills (I live in the 2nd highest point in London) and pretty heavy going accelerating away from traffic lights.

I really do appreciate having a (small) range of gears, I rode my last bike around with the chain sat on the 11t with no way of shifting (the shifter was not connected then) for a couple of weeks and didn't really like it, sure if I singlespeeded it I could set it up with a 14t or similar but I wouldn't be able to get up any real speed with that.

Mind you it's tempting considering you could lose the rear mech (-195g) the shifter (-105g) some cable (30g ?) and a few cogs (-65g ?) gain a perfect chain line (probably extending the life of the drive chain) lower maintenance.

With the Extralite cranks and levers (-209g), going single speed would put me at around 14.46 lb.....

.....hhmmmm, maybe I will try again living with a 11t rear sprocket for a few days and see how I get on....I wasn't clipped in last time and just had flat pedals...which makes a big difference....hhhmmmmm

Damn this weightweenie disease, damn it !!!!!

:)

Ty

·
Registered
48 Posts
cool bike

Very clean looking Klein. Got a question about the cranks. Were your '99 XT cranks octalink or square taper? I'm just wondering because I ordered some LX Octalink II cranks to replace my Octalink XTs on my Attitude and I'm looking forward to the stiffer setup. I think the new LXs and XTs are similar in stiffness.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EMeister said:
Very clean looking Klein. Got a question about the cranks. Were your '99 XT cranks octalink or square taper? I'm just wondering because I ordered some LX Octalink II cranks to replace my Octalink XTs on my Attitude and I'm looking forward to the stiffer setup. I think the new LXs and XTs are similar in stiffness.
I think my old XTs were octalink (?) but I am not sure as I never took the arms off the spindle.
:confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.