Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here's my new heckler.

I bought the frame built it up myself so I'm pretty happy how everything turned out.

I chose the Pike based largely on all the good wraps it got on here, so thanks for that.
I have a extra firm spring, because that's what RS recommend for my weight, but I don't do any big stuff and I found myself wishing it was a bit more compliant over the small stuff, so last week I put the medium spring back in I'm giving that a go. It defiantly feels more compliant and I find that I can still firm things up when I want to with the damping and floodgate. Anyway I'll see how it goes, if I find it bottoming out I can always put the harder spring back in. The silver 426 is also a great match for the bike - looks like they were made to go together. I also love the U-turn feature, it's a bit too fiddly to use for every hill, but when you know you've got a long climb ahead, or when your on a smooth, tight, fast singletrack, its great to be able to drop the front down. I think forks with this feature makes the bike much more usable (marz's eta might even be better?)

It weighs in at 35lb on my bathroom scales, I was a bit disappointed, I was hoping/expecting about 32, but I have no idea how accurate that is. Does that sound about right? Actually its only when I weighed it that I was a bit disappointed, she rides fine, I came off a hardtail and even on the first few rides it never left me feeling to was a heavy bike.

I really love this new bike, the forks (great stiffness), brakes (they are 8/7"diatech armour - I bought them because they are sooooo cheap and not expecting much but they are great, tonnes of power and good feel too), wide bars, spd/flat pedals, and just the way the bike rides overall. The plus 5 cane creek head set is also good, the bit of extra clearance means that I don't have to worry about forgetting to push the u-turn dial down and it hitting the frame.

I chose the heckler because want just one bike, and for me I reckon this is a great choice, I love to try a bit of DH, but also like to ride the whole trial, and do all/half day rides, so this bike fits be bill great. To me it's just a great all rounder (but that's must sound too plain so the industry calls it All Mountain).

Before the frame arrived I was thinking of upgrading the shock because a Fox DHX seems to be the thing to have, but after a bit of riding I'm quite happy with the Manitou SPV 4way, perhaps I'll wait until the 07 model DHX Air has been out for a while and see of that gets better reliability reviews (and if it fits the Heckler better) than the 06. Other than that its only really the rear wheel, cranks and BB that I will probably upgrade soon. These parts are all fairly cheap. The rear hub is shimano open bearing and a generic rim, both are performing OK but will be upgraded at the first sign of trouble. I have had some trouble with the chain getting jammed between the middle and the big ring, I'm not certain but I think this may be due to some flexing under load. Its not the front der. causing this, the chain just seems to get caught by the pins on the big ring!?!, so I'll upgrade the crank, rings and BB if this problem continues.

Well there are some pics and my thoughts after about 2 months of ownership. Overall I couldn't be happier, that I chose the Heckler. I'm also enjoyed sourcing all the parts and building the bike up myself. A few people tried to advise me against this, mainly because of costs vs. buying a complete bike, however I am very happy with what I have spent. Santa Cruz bikes cost a small fortune here in Australia and I have spent heaps less than buying a complete bike from the local dealer (sorry to him but don't worry he wont go broke - I/my family have bought 5 bikes from him in the past).
The main advantages of this approach though have been a) getting all they parts I wanted and b) all the knowledge gained in the process. Obviously I'm still no expert, but I have learned a lot, I know all the components, have all the basic tools and am pretty confident to be able to do all the basic servicing, maintenance and upgrades to keep the everything running in good order. So long as you do a bit or research and know your way around a basic toolkit, I would certainly recommend anyone who was thinking about this approach to give it a go.

Thanks to everyone who posts here, answeres dumb and technical questions and shares their experieice. I found all the info. I have read very helpful.

Now which trail will I ride this weekend …..

·
Registered
110 Posts
amrjon said:
Actually its only when I weighed it that I was a bit disappointed, she rides fine...
Exactly. I try to never weigh my bikes. No good can come of it.

Bike looks great, congrats! Ride it, replace whatever breaks, ride some more.

I recently moved from my Heckler to a blingy frame that normally costs over twice as much, and (with a comparable shock) the improvement is pretty marginal. Very hard to beat a Heckler at any price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why do all of you guys have to have such cool bikes (I'm jealous of you Amrjon)? I just got my first "real" (meaning good brand that doesn't weigh a hundred pounds) mountain bike, the Gary Fisher Marlin. Now you guys are already making me thing of getting an AM bike. I really like the Heckler, but how bad is it with the crank and pedals being too low? Also, I'm confused about SC's prices. When I see the around 1800 number for the Heckler is that for just the frame or is that the complete bike? I like the Nomad too, but that would cost a fortune.

Sorry if I hijacked your post Amrjon.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Very sharp looking Heckler. Glad to hear you're happy with it.
By the way, mine weighs 36 pounds but I never notice it. Climbs super.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Very nice, DHX Air will fit your frame fine...

You have the latest Heckler frame design with revised head tube gussets and increased front shock mount clearance for DHX Air. If you decide to go DHX Air, I've been riding one on a new Heckler for 2 weeks with no issues. I really like the shock, climbs with little/no bob, descends very well, nice and plush. I'm 160lbs and haven't experienced the "blowing thru travel problem". Hecklers are great, a testament to "keep it simple..."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
really

rglsr said:
You have the latest Heckler frame design with revised head tube gussets and increased front shock mount clearance for DHX Air. If you decide to go DHX Air, I've been riding one on a new Heckler for 2 weeks with no issues. I really like the shock, climbs with little/no bob, descends very well, nice and plush. I'm 160lbs and haven't experienced the "blowing thru travel problem". Hecklers are great, a testament to "keep it simple..."
Thats interesting to know, I thought that the frame to fit the DHX air had the 'dimple'. Mine doesn't have that but it might still fit eh? ..... looks like I might put that back on the list of future upgrades.

Sounds line 35-36 pounds is about right too, I wonder how accurate people are who report to have 29-30lb hecklers? Never mind, as others say its the ride that counts in the end, I won't get hung up on the weight.

newMTBer, 1800 should be a complete bike I paid less half that for my frame. But just enjoy what you have.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Pic of new Heckler frame with DHX Air....

Here's what the new frame looks like with DHX Air mounted. Plenty of clearance at front upper mount. The extruded/machined mount is slightly different, thus more clearance for DHX Air. Note the new front gusset design, they are inset on the head tube, older Heckler gussets are welded flat on sides of head tube.

Attachments

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
newMTBer said:
Why do all of you guys have to have such cool bikes (I'm jealous of you Amrjon)? I just got my first "real" (meaning good brand that doesn't weigh a hundred pounds) mountain bike, the Gary Fisher Marlin. Now you guys are already making me thing of getting an AM bike. I really like the Heckler, but how bad is it with the crank and pedals being too low? Also, I'm confused about SC's prices. When I see the around 1800 number for the Heckler is that for just the frame or is that the complete bike? I like the Nomad too, but that would cost a fortune.

Sorry if I hijacked your post Amrjon.
The heckler's crank and pedals arent too low for me. In fact, they've got great clearance, IMHO. It actually feels high. 1800 is probly the whole bike. I got my frame only for 900 (anodized)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
me too

coldawg said:
What kind of pedals are those and where can I get them?
I've been looking for a good SPD on one side, platform on the other side, kind of pedal.
VP-131 pedals that had a simple cage on the 'other side', took that off and made the 'platform' side myself out of Aluminium so they are not too heavy. They do look a bit home made but are actually pretty good, I'm happy anyway, gives me the best of both worlds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.