Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought this bike at a yard sale the other day. it has some cool abs plastic wheels on it. i was wondering if i could upgrade it with a rear 8 or 9 speed cassette and derailer. i want to use the rims so i would be looking for just a hub. would i have enough room and also maybe for a disk brake hub? i want to make it into a cruiser/MTB. is that possible. of course i would be using used e-bay or second hand parts to keep it cheap of course. thanks for all info! SLICK

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i like the frame for the differant top tube. whouldt it accept a modern front threadless fork and stem?

some pix

·
Registered
695 Posts
Leave it

Leave as is. Maybe a very expensive cruiser from the day. Better off getting a MTB than trying to transform that in to one.

·
Welsh Dave
254 Posts
proto2000 said:
Leave as is. Maybe a very expensive cruiser from the day. Better off getting a MTB than trying to transform that in to one.
I agree.
Not sure what it is, but trying to kludge it into a MTB will kill any value that it has as a funky cruiser.
Those "cool abs plastic wheels" are ACS Z-Rims. In black! In rare 26-inch cruiser size!! With unmarked sidewall logos!!! Er... please don't use rim brakes on those - The logo will disappear very fast.

The Tuff Neck stem will take a 22.2mm BMX bar.

The rims, stem, crank and chainring are all pretty cool. Unless it was a particularly pricey yard sale, those parts alone must be worth many times whatever you paid for the bike.
Keep it as a cruiser and enjoy your good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i thought it was cool thats why i snatched it up. you wouldnt beleive what i paid for it he almost gave it to me. after a quick ebay search i reaized i could get 7-8 times my money back by just selling the tuf neck stem. i wont use rim brakes on it cause i think the rims are cool and thought those wheels had to be kinda special. the guy said he rebuilt it a while back and said he paid 75 dollars a piece for the wheels. and the stem must be a bmx left over. i want to put some mtb style bars on it to give it a better non pee wee herman riding posstioin and put a better seat on it and then paint it white. what do yall think will work for some better handle bars?

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,028 Posts
I miss my old ACS Z-Rims from my old Skyway T/A.... Yes, I ran both Tuffs and Zs on it.... But, 26er? Didn't know bout those!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it does look alot like it the top tube does anyway and the front forks look identical. mine doesnt have the extension past the seat post. it was repainted with automotive paint is what the guy told me so its not original. is there any place online i can run the serial # to find out what the frame is?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh and the car behind it just sold tonight im kinda bummed about that. not that yall might care haha. but hey now i can go get my 10' giant rincon out of hock! yaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts