Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up this ol' sport 10 bike...with the intent of turning it into a cyclocross/commute bike. turns out, it was actually purchased (waaaay back in 78, judging by the sticker) at the local shop...so, that's where i went to talk to the guy. he gave me a big list of stuff to replace; the rims (they're 27" now, but they will hold 700cc), the cranks, the headset and handlebars, the saddle and post, the brakes. and, it's looking very promising for my $500 standard i set for myself.

anybody got some good tips for a newbie bike restorer? let me know!

anywho...sorry about the dark pics

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i picked up a 26.2 bontrager seatpost today, to replace the one that came with the bike...anybody know if there's any spots online that i could pick up a replacement/new fuji seat? or, would that be something i'd have to prowl the local shops for?

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bumpalump
looks like my ol' bonty platform pedals work on the crank arms...i'm having trouble removing the BB on the ol' fuji, got any tips?

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sfgirlonbike said:
Can anybody help me? I'm not sure what MTBR stands for. ;)

eBay. It'll be hard to find at your local shops.
MTBR?

Monday
Tuesday
Bwednesday
thuRsday

the first four days of the week!

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rumpfy said:
The reason you didn't get any replies...is because you posed a pile of junk road bike in a classic mountain bike forum.

I'm just sayin'...
i thought i could at least get some info about converting it to a cyclocross bike, or something here...

as far as "pile of junk" goes, my uncle had a similar raleigh from the 70's that he did a lot of riding across michigan with, so i think i'm good with this ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
i thought i could at least get some info about converting it to a cyclocross bike, or something here...

as far as "pile of junk" goes, my uncle had a similar raleigh from the 70's that he did a lot of riding across michigan with, so i think i'm good with this ;)
Try Sheldon Brown for info. Great site.

As for the conversion, i'm all about taking something poopy and making it nice again although $500 dumped into that thing seems a bit much. If I were you i'd give 'er a nice cleaning and a tune-up and make it a great city bike for around $150. Take the other $350 and buy something closer to a 'cross bike or stash it away and save up. I think you'll be happier this way as the Fuji wasn't designed for 'cross duty. Not that it couldn't do it, but it's just not meant for that level of stress.

On the other hand, many of us relish the opportunity to prove that it's not so much the bike but the rider. How cool is it when you're able to ride a vintage rig and hang on the wheels of a rider on a modern FS bike?

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
richieb said:
There are no quick fixes or easy-to-find parts sources for old bike parts. You have to look around locally and online just like the rest of us.

Does that answer your question?
yes, thanks!

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bump...
what's good to use to restore the paint? i tried some eagle one nevr-dull polish on the chrome parts, which worked well, and i also tried it on the paint...but when i tried it on the paint, the "wadding" that i used came up blue, so i wasn't sure if the nevr-dull was too abrasive for the paint.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
If bucksaw wants to pour a ton of money into a funky old low-end Fuji, let him do. Don't think of it as a waste of money, but rather an economic stimulus package for the local bike shop.

Seriously, that bike is not worth spending a whole lot on. Project bikes are fun, but if your local shop is trying to sell you new wheels, brakes, handlebars, etc etc, I would say that see an easy target to make some money. Afterall, it isn't really your project if you take it to a shop and let somebody else do the work.

$500 will buy you a very nice used cross or commuter bike. Your bike, even with all new tires, chain, brake pads, handlebar tape, and saddle would still be worth no more than $100.

I hope you have fun with the bike, but don't let the thing get out of hand. I am afraid after it is all said and done and your wallet is running on E, you will be quite disappointed with the lack of bang for your buck.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh i probably shoulda posted that i've given up on cyclocross and i'm just restoring this piece of junk now. just gonna make it ridable...i got some wellgo pedals i put on, and i bought a longer seatpost...but for the rest of it, i'm gonna just leave it the way it is

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hairstream said:
posterity pics please.
pics soon...
i removed the bb for cleaning and repacking, and am currently working on polishing and refinishing everything on the bike...what a feeling to rub some nu-finish on there and see that chrome gleam. too bad nu finish doesn't work on aluminum, but whatever...

i'm leaving for school again on sunday, so i'm not gonna get a chance to work on the bike until spring break, but in that time i can get a better scope of what exactly i want to do with this bike, be it single speed commuter, leave it like it is for a retro feel, christmas gift for my aunt who had a nearly identical bike way back when, or put it up on fleabay or craigslist as a refurb. also i might pick up a few parts for it too (sealed bb, anyone?)

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*cough*hack*wheeze*cough*
i actually wound up spending less than $50 (new saddle, post, grease, and finish) on the project, and just did a restore. i hope to get pics up soon...and boy was that a fun bike to restore :D

one more thing that might push me over the $50 would be handlebar tape, which i haven't got yet.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
bikerboy said:
If bucksaw wants to pour a ton of money into a funky old low-end Fuji, let him do. Don't think of it as a waste of money, but rather an economic stimulus package for the local bike shop.

Seriously, that bike is not worth spending a whole lot on. Project bikes are fun, but if your local shop is trying to sell you new wheels, brakes, handlebars, etc etc, I would say that see an easy target to make some money. Afterall, it isn't really your project if you take it to a shop and let somebody else do the work.

$500 will buy you a very nice used cross or commuter bike. Your bike, even with all new tires, chain, brake pads, handlebar tape, and saddle would still be worth no more than $100.

I hope you have fun with the bike, but don't let the thing get out of hand. I am afraid after it is all said and done and your wallet is running on E, you will be quite disappointed with the lack of bang for your buck.
I'm in agreement on your thoughts. The best thing to do with this bike is servicing. Repack all the bearings. Then replace the tires, tubes and cables/casings if needed. A good servicing wouldn't cost much and would improve the bike ten fold. You'd be surprised what a little labor will do. Good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.