Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Greetings from Cape Town SA.

After weeks and weeks of research I got myself a brand new ETSX 50 for christmas.
It's new because it's a 2007 model which has been on display as a frame only for the whole of 2008.
You don't know it but it was this forum which helped me make my decision re my new bike. So thanks a stack!

I sold my previous bike - a 2005 Trek Fuel 100 Team Issue because I wanted something a little less racy and a bit more fun, yet would still let me do longer XC/Marathon type races.

Well, so far it's awesome. I beat my climbing record (set on the Fuel) yesterday by a few seconds, but destroyed my best lap time by minutes. That was on a lap of 25kms, 11km climb with an altitude gain of 600m, forest singletrack all the way down.
I'll post some pics of the trail.

Bike setup: ETSX 50 w FoxRP23, Marzocchi XC600 wETA, XT Gears & Shifters, FireX Team crank, DT Swiss 430 rims on 240s hubs, Juicy Ultimate brakes, Race Face bar stem & post, Gobi saddle, Conti Race King 2.2 tubeless.

2 questions:

1. Surely the efficiency of the energy transfer suspension design is compromised by using propedal?

2. Occasionally there's a bit of a kick (very slight) and it feels like the back is steering the front. Just for a second, then it's gone. Any ideas?

Awesome bike, and thanks for all the advice.

Cheers.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The Energy Transfer aspect isn't really compromised by Pro Pedal as you still want to limit the input from the drivetrain to keep the pedal cadence smooth. It's still not free energy as it arrives there by having the suspension move up and down. Generally the only place I notice it working is on bigger G-outs.

Sounds like maybe you might want to bump the rear shock rebound up a notch or two?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rockyuphill, it was you who convinced me of the Race Kings too.

By 'bump it up' I'm assuming thats speed up the rebound?
I'm still getting used to the shock being upside down and the wrong way round.

Thanks for the tip.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
trangolinas said:
Hey Rockyuphill, it was you who convinced me of the Race Kings too.

By 'bump it up' I'm assuming thats speed up the rebound?
I'm still getting used to the shock being upside down and the wrong way round.

Thanks for the tip.
I'd increase the shock's rebound damping to slow it down a bit, it sounds like it might be extending too fast and providing the kick that changes the geometry and steepening the head angle for an instant. Luckily the shock doesn't know it's upside down. :)

How are the UST Race Kings working? I love them in the Supersonic Black Chili rubber, but the rubber compound is what makes them work on my roots and rocks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are non BlackChili and are not made in Germany.
The RK's roll really well - much faster than the Crossmarks I had on my Fuel.
They sealed up beautifully too, not a hint of a leak.
The lateral grip on loosish stuff is not great - I can't crank the bike over as agressively as I could on my Cove Stiffee with Panaracer Cinder's 2.25.
There is a slight floaty feel at speed too (50km/h +) I weigh 80kg (176lbs) and I'm running them at 30psi.

Strange that I cannot get a 2.2 RK UST in BlackChili, but my LBS has MK 2.4 UST Supersonic with BlackChili. I'm thinking of putting one on the front, just to get a bit more bite for trail riding and keeping the RK for races.

Do you have any experience with the 2.4 MK?

My local trail is typical Pine Forest mountain singletrack - Steep fireroad climbs, then steep downhill singletrack with lost of exposed roots, big rocks, loose rocks over sand and then into soft loamy stuff at the bottom where the stream runs.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The RK 2.2 Supersonic with tubes work incredibly well, but they have a very narrow optimum pressure range, if your UST versions feel vague or wiggly you might need a couple of PSI more pressure. I found that they only have a 3-4 PSI range between too hard and too soft in the Supersonic version.

I've got the MK 2.4" Protection's on my Slayer SXC, they are available in Black Chili. I've had them for almost a year now and they roll much faster than the Nevegal Stick-E 2.35" they replaced, even though they weighed the same at 745gms each. The MK2.4 has the same carcass size as the RK 2.2, it's the width of the side knobs that make it into a 2.4"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.