Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 2006 Gary Fisher PHD frame, size M.
The build list:

Pike 426 coil-u-turn fork.
Mavic 325 rims on Dimension hubs - the rear hub is sweet, it rolls on 4 cartridge bearings, the freehub uses 4 pawls, and has a real low degree of rotation between clicks. I'm running a 10mm thru axle to secure it.
2.3 Kenda Small Block 8 tires.
Avid Juicy 5 brakes 160mm rotors front and rear.
X9 short cage rear derailleur.
New X9 trigger shifter (like the X0)
Shimano Ultegra 12-27 cassette.
Shimano XTR chain.
Bontrager King Earl cranks.
Truvativ Howitzer bottom bracket.
32T e13 guide ring chainwheel.
e13 32 special chain guide.
Tioga MX Pro pedals.
Cane Creek XC flush headset cup on top to keep the bars low, and the regular XC reducer cup on the bottom to keep the head angle I wanted.
FSA FR270 bars cut to 25"
FSA FR270 50mm 6deg. stem.
SDG saddle.
No-name seatpost.

I love it! - with the Pike at 95mm and near full compression damping, it's really dialed for jumping, and this frame is super, super easy to manual. With the fork at 140mm it's amazing the rough stuff it can go through - no problem doing some "stunts and freeride stuff" with it.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
excellent build spec.
I was going to do the same with the CaneCreek DubXc flush top and reg. bottom as well on my Splinter, but couldn't afford it... But I've got two regs and I dig'em.

gotta be a fun rig, but man, it just bothers me to look at it. some sort of OCD thing where I just want to "straighten" it out...

and w/ that alu. frame... hmmm, I'd put my estimate around 31lb for the build... light tires, but it's geared.... so, let us know!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
i've always loved the looks of those things. very different looking then other frames...just tickles my fancy i guess;) . your build is sick, im not much for gears anymore but im lovin it fo sho

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys! - Yeah, it really is one of those love-it or hate-it looking bikes. It's a case where you have to ride it, to get it. When I first looked at it I was like WTF? But after spending some time on one, I was like "I want one." Really cool balanced feel, for me anyways.

And the weight - Yep I weighed it (on a good scale), couldn't get a pic with the #'s and bike, so trust me, as pictured above, it's 34 pounds. Not too bad with heavy wheels and gears.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
deoreo said:
Thanks Guys! - Yeah, it really is one of those love-it or hate-it looking bikes. It's a case where you have to ride it, to get it. When I first looked at it I was like WTF? But after spending some time on one, I was like "I want one." Really cool balanced feel, for me anyways.

And the weight - Yep I weighed it (on a good scale), couldn't get a pic with the #'s and bike, so trust me, as pictured above, it's 34 pounds. Not too bad with heavy wheels and gears.
Get some 721's laced. Just as strong if not stronger and lighter too! Singlespeed is the only way.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
snaky69 said:
Get some 721's laced. Just as strong if not stronger and lighter too! Singlespeed is the only way.
yeah, yeah, but the 325's were cheap :thumbsup:

Yup, I've actually ridden this bike quite a bit as a single speed (the frame is used) - with a Rennen Rollenlager and Gusset SS conversion w/16T cog. so I can go back to this, if everything goes horribly wrong.

I set it up with gears because I ride it mostly at Rays - http://www.raysmtb.com/
And I like the gears for the "freeride/stunts/skinnies" stuff they have there, as well as the jumps and park :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I wanna go to rays! There's stuff I CAN DO! stuff I CAN LEARN ON! AND A FRICKIN' FOAM PIT! And a lot of it!

Call me wussy, but the way I see it most of the stuff around my town is either do or die or not do.

Sweet bike! Actually, the PHD was the first bike I ever set eyes on for DJ, but then I saw the pricetag . . .

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dirtyharry said:
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I wanna go to rays! There's stuff I CAN DO! stuff I CAN LEARN ON! AND A FRICKIN' FOAM PIT! And a lot of it!
Hahaha - yeah Rays is awesome, and it's great because there is super easy stuff, right on up to pro-level stuff.
In one season of riding there, my game has improved more, than in 5 years of normal riding. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.