Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new on here. What a fantastic source of info..:)

I've just started making my own LED based headlight and thought I'd post some pics of my casing to see what you lot think of it..
I've based the lights on Luxeon K2's as I could get some samples FREE!!
I'm also using Fraen optics as I could also get some samples FREE!!
I'll hopefully be using the new K2 with TTF(?) when I finally put it all together.
Currently sourcing all the extra bits-switches/battery etc etc
Will keep you posted on how it goes..

Would appreciate any feedback

Cheers for now, Steve

Attachments

·
I win.
713 Posts
Great looking light!

Curious as to how you plan to mount it. Also some dimensions on the housing would be cool.

Hmmm....Where do I get my hands on a CNC machine... Or heck even a lathe... anything would be better than the hack saw and sand paper that I have now! :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Popper252 said:
Great looking light!

Curious as to how you plan to mount it. Also some dimensions on the housing would be cool.

Hmmm....Where do I get my hands on a CNC machine... Or heck even a lathe... anything would be better than the hack saw and sand paper that I have now! :)
No kidding, this kind of light makes me itch to get access to a CNC mill... hmm... Oh well, occasional access to a drill press and a bandsaw, and files and sandpaper has to do the job for the moment.

Beautiful light, what are the rough dimensions for that?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Looking good, better than what's in the shops.

You may find that the 25 degree optic in the centre is a bit wide. I tried one and it is VERY wide and wastes a lot of light.

And do you know what driver you are going to use?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
yetibetty said:
You may find that the 25 degree optic in the centre is a bit wide. I tried one and it is VERY wide and wastes a lot of light.
Its really hard to asses the benefits of the 25. I have a 25/6 dual and can run them independantly. The 25 doesn't make things much brighter but the added spill is a big help while riding.
25/elliptical/spot is probably ideal. Nice work deesta.

·
mtbr member
890 Posts
Popper252 said:
I know the feeling, I have a vice, a hacksaw, some files and a drill press for my projects.

From what I have read, most seem to start with a sieg x2 (such as the harbor freight mini mill) and turn it into a CNC mill with an adapter kit for the x,y and z stepper motor mounts, the steppers, power supplies, controllers and software. All this stuff is expensive, and then add the tooling and other stuff I am sure would be needed and then it becomes really expensive. I decided against going that route because I have nowhere to put it at this time, not to mention the expensive part. Deesta's light however makes me consider it all over again:D

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
It looks good but I'm surprised that you didn't go with Cree's or even SSC. The K2 runs really warm is is less efficient.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the positive feed back guys...:thumbsup:

Luckily for me, I'm a CNC programmer by trade and have access to lathes and mills..unfortunately I'm not so good on the electronics side of things:madman:

I'll try to answer a few questions:

The dimensions for the light are approx 85mm wide, 35mm high and 50mm deep(at the moment..I'm gonna see if I can make the depth abit less)

I'm going to either make a mount or buy one off the shelf that will do the trick.

The 3 holes in the back are for 2 switches and a battery feed. I'm hoping to be bale to set the light so i can have centre flood on, 2 outer spots on or both on. Will hopefully get a better run time.

I opted for K2's as they seemed to be the best available(may have to re-think). I don't think heat wioll be a problem as the whole of the body will act as a good heatsink.

Will post more photo's as and when I do more....

Thanks again guys

Steve

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a couple of photo's of the inside of the casing...

I'm going to be mounting the star LED's onto a separate board a sit will make assembly easier (that's the 4 screw holes in the front piece)
and mounting a small strip board to hold all the electronics(that's the 4 screw holes in the back plate).
I'm also going to be sealing the whole unit using rubber o-rings and sealed switches/battery connector so will (hopefully) be fully waterproof.
I think the unit is a pretty good size as the heatsinking around the outside is about 4mm deep..hopefully this will help with any heat issues that may arise :D
I may have found a battery supplier, which is good as it was gonna cost more for the shipping than it was for the battery.
All I need to do now is get my arse in gear and get the electronics side of things sorted...

I'll keep you posted as to how I get on...I think I'm gonna need some tips off all you experts out there :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really appreciate all the feedback...I'm really chuffed with how well the housing looks
Spent quite a while doing the design work on MasterCAM, made it alot easier to picture how it would look as it's possible to make a 3D rendition of the finished piece.

I'm starting to get the DIY bug now...

Troutie: I've been in touch with smudge and it seems that he's the man when it comes to batteries, I feel a 7.5v 5.4Ah Li-ion battery coming up!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 200 Posts