Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,375 Posts
I did one from newegg in 08. It's due for a RAM upgrade at least. It cost me less than a commercially built machine back then and it's still more powerful with quad cores than most machines being sold now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Set-up:

-Raidmax Tornado Mid Case

-ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

-AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Processor

-Western Digital Caviar Blue 500G Internal Hard drive (2)

-A-DATA Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Memory

-ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

-RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-750SS 750W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply

-ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card

-1 120mm Therma Cool Case Fan, 2 Raid Max 80mm Case Fans, Dual Therma Cool Card Coolers

-Misc: Mesh Inserts in rear and front unused drive panels for cooling

·
Registered
816 Posts
I just go to microcenter...the prices are typically not much higher than Neweggs.

Plus, Newegg's return policy is total crap. Yeah...if I ordered the wrong part, it's my fault, I'll pay shipping back. But if you were to order a motherboard, and the motherboard is bad, which happens quite often, they make you pay shipping back. They even say something along the lines of "it's not our fault the product doesn't work, so you need to pay the shipping back for an RMA" in their return policy.

That would never fly for anyone else...I don't know why it does for them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
RAIDMAX is bottom basement junk. If you value reliability and longevity you will want to replace that PSU with something better. A 400 watt Seasonic (or Corsair, Antec, Zalman) would be plenty for that build, and would likely pay for it self within a year due to being far, far more efficient.

I would also replace the case but thats just me and if you want to OC that Phenom (after you replace the PSU) get a aftermarket HS/F like Thermalright or Zalman. Otherwise nice system.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,375 Posts
Operandi said:
RAIDMAX is bottom basement junk. If you value reliability and longevity you will want to replace that PSU with something better. A 400 watt Seasonic (or Corsair, Antec, Zalman) would be plenty for that build, and would likely pay for it self within a year due to being far, far more efficient.

I would also replace the case but thats just me and if you want to OC that Phenom (after you replace the PSU) get a aftermarket HS/F like Thermalright or Zalman. Otherwise nice system.
I have an Antec PSU that's been super reliable in mine. I also swear by aftermarket HS/F after I installed a Zalman on my machine. Those factory fans tend to be horribly noisy, or get that way pretty quickly. My entire machine is whisper quiet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.