Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Well I finally got my new Coiler built up! The hardest part was actually choosing between the Coiler frame and the Stinky. Many sleepless nights were spent weighing the pros and cons of each...well, not really, but it was a freakin' hard decision. In the end, I felt the Coiler best suited my riding needs. Essentially, I needed a bike that was tough enough to take abuse, but light enough and pedel-friendly enough to get around. I looked at some other bikes: RM Switch, Bullit, Heckler, Yeti ASX...all very nice bikes, and all very pricey. Also, my current ride, a '00 Kona Pahoehoe, has served me wonderfully these last five years. So I feel very confident in going with Kona...do I even have to mention that in this forum?

Anyway, THE BUILD:
Frame (19") came with DHX 5.0 shock, sweet deal at wheelworld, something like $900.
Z1 Freeride fork 6", Azonic Outlaw wheelset, Avid Mech. Discs - 8 In rotors, RaceFace X-type XC crankset, XT/LX shifters/derailers, Snafu pedals, FSA Pig headset, Kona saddle/seatpost/stem/bars, 2.4 tires.

It all went together surprisingly well. I had the BB and Headtube faced, and the BB/Crankset and headset installed by my LBS. Cable routing was easy to do, very clean looking when finished. It took some time to get the disc brakes set up. Not having worked with them before made it more challenging, but hey, thats what instructions are for.

THE RIDE:

"Holy Moly, it's like wrestling with an angry racoon!" Thats pretty much what I thought when I first got on. Of course, Im coming from a 28 lb hardtail with a 4" fork, thats quite a change, a very nice change. It made me wonder why I didn't take the plunge to full suspension 2 or 3 years ago...oh well, I have it now. The only question is: Should I use this for good, or evil? Mwuhaha...beware forest critters and pedestrians alike, I now have a combined 12 Inches of unstopablility!! Needless to say, Im enjoying this bike so far.

After only a few rides (maybe 3-4 hours in the saddle) Im starting to feel really comfortable on this bike. Kind of surprising, I thought there would be a longer "adjustment period". The 19" frame fits perfectly for my 6'3" body. Theres enough room to feel comfortble, yet, it dosent feel like it's an overly big bike. I definitely would not want to go any smaller. The standover is a little tight, but if I crank the seatpost all the way down, I can sit in the saddle with both feet flat on the ground. Im still playing with the suspension settings, thats going to take some time to fully figure out. Ive done a couple of small drops and jumps, and the landings feel amazing. The brakes are really nice. Theres way more modulation than I thought there would be.

All in all, a fantastic bike. Soild, well-designed and just plain sexy. Thanks Kona, for another killer piece of machinery! I'll be spending alot of time on this bike.

Peace out, and heres some pics....Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
4 out of 5 kitties approve!

I gotta say....that's a great build on that bike. A buddy has that same Coiler with the DHX 5.0 and the 66 and he loves it. He's thinking about getting a shorter fork so it'll climb better, but otherwise, he's got no complaints. Not only that, but he's rockin' on rides on that thing and totally ripping the downhills. I 'think' he still has a hardtail, but I haven't seen it in 9 months or so..... ;)

Needless to say, you'll be stoked with that bike. Kona, imo, has done a great job of refining their 'faux bar' suspension design over the years and bikes like the Coiler and the newest Stinky's are showing they deserve to be compared to the 6 packs, nomads, and Dares of this world. I'm stoked on their latest bikes.....

Let me know how the Outlaw wheels hold up for ya. They're almost such a good deal that I can't pass on them. Congrats on the new rig.

Next up.....action shots!! :p

Chers,
EBX

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
Congrats on the build and welcome to the Coiler club. the bike looks great EXCEPT the paint (I have to disagree with about half of the Kona paint choices) but that doesn't matter.
My 04 Coiler was my first full squishy and it opened up a whole new world of riding for me.

And to ebxtreme, I have had a set of Azonic Oulaws for about 6 months now. I first had them on my specialized P2 for dirt jumping, they held up great, although I cased a few 6 foot drops and ended up with a flat spot but no need to true them. Now they are on my Stinky wich I use for DH (man I need a new DH bike) and they are still true and I weigh in at 250 lbs. So basically the are bomb proof and for the price...no brainer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like your doing the same as me. I just bought an 05 coiler primo frame and will be building it up soon. I'm a bit worried the frame might be too big for me, but otherwise, it should be a great bike.

Just for reference, I'm hoping my spec will be: marzocchi ZAM1 frankenfork, mavic 321 rims, front hope bulb, rear shimano xt hub, sram x.0 rear mech, sram x.9 shifters, hayes el camino brakes, shimano hone cranks, easton/race face finishing kit.

I'm also coming from a 4" travel hardtail, so it should be interesting. I can't wait till it's built up, as I think it's going to give me the confidence to try much bigger drops and jumps, and still be pedalable to get to the top of the mountain.

Let us know how you get on with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you have any clearance problems with those tires? I wanted to use the same set but I've heard the Panaracer 2.4's are extremely wide and will rub the chain when in "granny" gear?

I bought the same frame from Wheelworld. I went with the 66rc but I like your build!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the comments...

For the record, she weighs in at 40.5 lbs.

Yeah, those tires are monsters...they make my xc tires look tiny. But no chain rub, even in in the extreme small front ring/big back combination....theres perhaps 1/4 inch of clearance. I think if you have the drivetrain set up correctly it shouldn't be a problem.

Later.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Re-route the front brake cable!!!

ICanDigIt said:
Thanks all for the comments...

For the record, she weighs in at 40.5 lbs.

Yeah, those tires are monsters...they make my xc tires look tiny. But no chain rub, even in in the extreme small front ring/big back combination....theres perhaps 1/4 inch of clearance. I think if you have the drivetrain set up correctly it shouldn't be a problem.

Later.
Re-route the fromt brake cable housing so it goes in between the front fork legs. This way your head tube wont get rubbed to bits. Happened to my Coiler. Whats with the avid mechanical brakes? I believe that bike comes stock with Hayes Mags... Cheers, and me think that yellow looks friken awsome!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Mountainbikextremist said:
Re-route the fromt brake cable housing so it goes in between the front fork legs. This way your head tube wont get rubbed to bits. Happened to my Coiler.
You do not want to do that with cable brakes. It can cause the brakes to be applied as the fork compresses. some tape on the headtube protects it fine.

Whats with the avid mechanical brakes? I believe that bike comes stock with Hayes Mags... Cheers, and me think that yellow looks friken awsome!
Bought as a frame set. Avid BB7s kick butt.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
shiggy said:
You do not want to do that with cable brakes. It can cause the brakes to be applied as the fork compresses. some tape on the headtube protects it fine.

Bought as a frame set. Avid BB7s kick butt.
But mags are better ;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah...I learned the hard way about the brake cable rubbing on the headtube. After about the third ride, I noticed the paint where the cable contacted the frame had been worn away...DOH! So I threw on some electrical tape...no more rub.

·
Registered
271 Posts
that ride looks amazing..have fun I love my coiler..it rocks.It will undergo some upgrades this winter..bashgard,one more inch of travel in the front and loose the sm ring as it is just going to be for dh and freeriding... I am getting the Kikapu this winter/spring for xcountry riding next year. K

·
Registered
829 Posts
***** approved

konahottie_311 said:
that ride looks amazing..have fun I love my coiler..it rocks.It will undergo some upgrades this winter..bashgard,one more inch of travel in the front and loose the sm ring as it is just going to be for dh and freeriding... I am getting the Kikapu this winter/spring for xcountry riding next year. K
Kona! Approved by ***** ;)

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
'05 Coiler owners - I got a question for ya.

Ok, a good buddy just got his bike stolen. He's getting cash from insurance and wants to dump it into another bike. I'm recommending to him that he gets a Coiler....the question is which size.

He's a lanky dude - 6'2" and has a 34" inseam. Should he get a 18" or a 19" frame?

He'll be riding the bike locally on our trails (Seattle area) and at Whistler quite a bit as he owns a quarter share of a townhome up there. That includes the XC and DH stuff up there.

Chers,
EBX

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.