Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She isn't totally complete, still waiting for my 34t front chain ring, bash guard and new stem. Took her out today to make some adjustments to the rear shifting and get her a little dirty and see how she climbs. I parked at the Summit bike shop in LG and road up Kennedy then around and up St. Joe's. I must say the Formula R1 are rediculous :thumbsup: . Modulation, Power, light weight. I really don't think you can find a better brake. I am glad I held out and got them. Ill shoot some more photo's soon but here she is.

And here is the build.

Trek Superfly Elite, Fox F29 RL w/ G2, Bontrager RXL Scandium wheels, Bontrager RL Stem(will be changed out for Race Face Turbine), Easton EC90 SL Low Rise bars, Bontrager Foam grips, Formula R1 Brakes 180/160, Sram XX rear Shifter, Sram XX Crank( Currently running the single 28T but will be swapped out for 34T and Bashgaurd, Easton EC90 Seatpost, Sram Red Rear Cassette 11/26, Sram Red Rear Derailleur.
Current weight how it sits with Pedals is 20.5 lbs. :eekster: I am pretty sure it could get down into the 19's if I got lighter pedals, chain, went to 160/140 rotors, but it feels good right now. Take that Canondale Flash!!! lol :p

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Nice!!! 20.5 is nice and light. How did it climb? I am also thinking of trying to put a bike like that together sometime soon. Have fun with it as I am sure you'll only climb faster.

Paul

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pmarshall said:
Nice!!! 20.5 is nice and light. How did it climb? I am also thinking of trying to put a bike like that together sometime soon. Have fun with it as I am sure you'll only climb faster.

Paul
I could tell I was the one holding it back today strength was there but the cardio is off. I haven't been riding as much as I should be so I was hurting on Kennedy with the gearing, pulled a sloppy but respectable 38:43 on my stop watch. I can't imagine how much more I would have been hurting if I would have had the 34t on it already instead of the 28t in front. Would have to ride it more like the SS then probably lot more standing less sitting. I love the rear shifting instant and quick. Still have a few little adjustments as the cable stretches a bit but once its adjusted it's going to be nice. At St. Joe's this thing will fly. Took it a little reserved and was able to make it to the top in 15:26 on my stop watch. It will be a perfect time attack machine there once I get the new ring on there. I would spin out on the flats but think that will change as well once it's set up with the new ring. I can't wait to get it out and see what it can do hopefully next weekend at Fort Ord. Should be interesting... I know I am excited to get the first race out of the way.

Chris

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rensho said:
Well done on the build. That looks awesome.
Thanks... After riding that Flash 29er and the Carbon Marin 29er, I knew I had to build something carbon and 29er... Was actually looking at a few carbon 29ers, the new carbon on-one 29er, but they aren't shipping until late March, Chiru Carbon 29er (Not shipping yet), Orbea Alma Carbon 29er( Was a close battle, but Trek has better warranty). I got really comfortable on my SS rig with the geometry and feel, so I figured I would just try and make the geometry as close as possible. Just waiting for my 70mm Stem and it should be almost identical .

Chris

·
Banned
913 Posts
Would it be too much to ask to put a chain guide over the front sprocket? If you do a race and the chain jumps off then you'd loose more time than the 80 grams for using a good guide.

I can totally dig your new ride, but I wish I was some chain retention system up front. It looks naked for some reason.

But then again, I guess your not slamming down a chattery trail at 35 mph.....

Sweet bike by the way. Have fun! :)

Edit - I saw your waiting for a bash guard, that will make the bike! I guess I'm jealous.....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Why will you be putting a bash guard on there??? Not a criticism. I am just curious. 34t ring up front is still pretty small - chances of hitting it on some trail obstacle is really small, especially since I can't imagine you are going to be bombing down really tech downhill stuff on that bike anyway . . . Plus, with a single front ring, it's largely protected by the chain.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
expatrider said:
Why will you be putting a bash guard on there??? Not a criticism. I am just curious. 34t ring up front is still pretty small - chances of hitting it on some trail obstacle is really small, especially since I can't imagine you are going to be bombing down really tech downhill stuff on that bike anyway . . . Plus, with a single front ring, it's largely protected by the chain.
Unfortunately the chain ring bolts to the same spot the small chain ring bolts to not the large, so if I don't run a bash guard if and when I do hit the crank arms it will hit them directly since the 34t will still be smaller. Plus the bash guard will help from dropping the chain to the outside, so I can just build a small rail guide for the inside.

Chris

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I am no math guy so explain this to me. Will this gear set up be easier or harder than the SS you used to run? What gearing on your SS did you use? I am borrowing a 26" SS bike that has 32/16 gearing and going up steep stuff is tough!! I know your legs are way stronger than mine but just so I have an idea. I am jealous of your ride.

paul

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
WaitWienie said:
Unfortunately the chain ring bolts to the same spot the small chain ring bolts to not the large, so if I don't run a bash guard if and when I do hit the crank arms it will hit them directly since the 34t will still be smaller. Plus the bash guard will help from dropping the chain to the outside, so I can just build a small rail guide for the inside.

Chris
OK - I think I get it - so the bash will be to protect the crank spider arms - not the chain ring?

Also - where do you find the 34t (or other sizes) that use the same weird BCD as XX??

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
expatrider said:
OK - I think I get it - so the bash will be to protect the crank spider arms - not the chain ring?

Also - where do you find the 34t (or other sizes) that use the same weird BCD as XX??
Exactly... There is a guy on the board who makes custom rings. He makes them for all different BCD even the new Shimano XTR cranks, along with light weight bash guards and SS rings. All super nice well made light weight stuff. The front ring is only 31g the lightest I have found. If you are looking for some stuff PM me and Ill send you his website.

Chris

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pmarshall said:
I am no math guy so explain this to me. Will this gear set up be easier or harder than the SS you used to run? What gearing on your SS did you use? I am borrowing a 26" SS bike that has 32/16 gearing and going up steep stuff is tough!! I know your legs are way stronger than mine but just so I have an idea. I am jealous of your ride.

paul
I was running 32/20 on my SS 29er. That gearing your running on the 26er would be comparable to a 32/18 gearing on 29er so your running a little harder then I was so maybe your legs are stronger than you think. :thumbsup: With the current set up my easiest gear will be 34/26 which will be a little easier if I am in the complete low gear. I pretty much wanted to give myself no option of going slower or taking it easy on climbs than my SS and more gear to ride on the flats.

Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.