Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife let me get this for my B-day/ Christmas present. Needless to say i'm pretty excited. My wife and I are on a tight budget (married for a short time and still in school ;) ), so first I had to sale my old bike, and find the bike I wanted for around $800. I got my bike sold, but had a hard time finding the marin new or used for anything less then a grand. The best I found was at bike connections for $960 shipped. My loving wife said yes!
So I ordered it, and it arrived on my B-day. But the box got trashed in shipping, and the frame had a small dent! I called bike connections up, and they said "no problem, we'll send you a new one" , but enstead I asked if they would make a deal, and they took $100 off. I took a dent puller (like you see on TV) and it pulled the dent out more or less. I just have to look at it and think, $100 dent:D .
My wife even let me upgrade the brakes, fork, and shock. Now I just have to sale the orginals to make up the difference. So off to ebay they go.

The Specs
Frame: 6061 TARA Aluminum Twin Monocoque Front, TARA 4"-6"
Shock: Fox Float R Rebound Adjuster
Shock upgraded to: Cane Creek Cloud 9
Fork: Answer Black Platinum RTWD 90-120
Fork upgraded to: 03 Marzocchi Z1
Headset: WTB Momentum Comp ST Threadless 1 1/8"

DRIVE TRAIN
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
Crankset: TruVativ Five D 44/32/22
Brakes: Hayes HMX-1 Disc with "Tri lobe' Adjuster
Brakes upgraded to: Avid bb7
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 5
Bar ends: Cane Creek ergos

WHEELS
Rims: Mavic XM-117 Disc 32 Hole
Spokes: DT 15 gauge Black Stainless
Tires: WTB Moto Raptor (52/54), 26"x 2.24" DNA Compound Tread

I haven't had a chance to try it out much, because 4 days after christmas we moved from Southern NV, to Northern UT's frozen tundra! Plus no time with getting a new job and starting school up again. But i'm heading to St. George this weekend to take her out for her maiden voyge in the dirt.
Good dirt

Check it out

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
farmboybunk said:
My wife let me get this for my B-day/ Christmas present. Needless to say i'm pretty excited. My wife and I are on a tight budget (married for a short time and still in school ;) ), so first I had to sale my old bike, and find the bike I wanted for around $800. I got my bike sold, but had a hard time finding the marin new or used for anything less then a grand. The best I found was at bike connections for $960 shipped. My loving wife said yes!
So I ordered it, and it arrived on my B-day. But the box got trashed in shipping, and the frame had a small dent! I called bike connections up, and they said "no problem, we'll send you a new one" , but enstead I asked if they would make a deal, and they took $100 off. I took a dent puller (like you see on TV) and it pulled the dent out more or less. I just have to look at it and think, $100 dent:D .
My wife even let me upgrade the brakes, fork, and shock. Now I just have to sale the orginals to make up the difference. So off to ebay they go.

The Specs
Frame: 6061 TARA Aluminum Twin Monocoque Front, TARA 4"-6"
Shock: Fox Float R Rebound Adjuster
Shock upgraded to: Cane Creek Cloud 9
Fork: Answer Black Platinum RTWD 90-120
Fork upgraded to: 03 Marzocchi Z1
Headset: WTB Momentum Comp ST Threadless 1 1/8"

DRIVE TRAIN
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
Crankset: TruVativ Five D 44/32/22
Brakes: Hayes HMX-1 Disc with "Tri lobe' Adjuster
Brakes upgraded to: Avid bb7
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 5
Bar ends: Cane Creek ergos

WHEELS
Rims: Mavic XM-117 Disc 32 Hole
Spokes: DT 15 gauge Black Stainless
Tires: WTB Moto Raptor (52/54), 26"x 2.24" DNA Compound Tread

I haven't had a chance to try it out much, because 4 days after christmas we moved from Southern NV, to Northern UT's frozen tundra! Plus no time with getting a new job and starting school up again. But i'm heading to St. George this weekend to take her out for her maiden voyge in the dirt.
Good dirt

Check it out
Sweet ride - climbing might be a handful with that high rise stem though

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crankpuller said:
Sweet ride - climbing might be a handful with that high rise stem though
Thanks,
I hope the climbings not to bad, i am gear my build for the down hill side, more then the uphill side of things. If it is I guess i'll have to use the ETA on the Z1 to lowere things a bit. The bike came with a tiny little xc style stem, it just felt ackward. I had this stem laying around, so i thought what the heck. It at least puts the bars level with the seat (in the picture i have the seat quite high while i was riding around town), and below when i drop the seat a bit for AM riding. So it won't feel like i',m going to go over the bars:eek: .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.