Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS MY FIRST COMPLETE BUILD UP!! ALWAYS JUST BOUGHT A BIKE FROM THE LBS BEFORE!! TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS TIHINK!!!! COMMENTS WELCOME!
* RIDING TYPE: TRAILS / ALL MOUNTAIN
* ME: 250-265LBS RANGE 6' TALL
* Frame Size & Color: 03 IH SGS EXPERT LARGE POWDER COATED BRIGHT RED
* Fork:SHERMAN BREAKOUT WITH FIRM SPRINGS
* Rear Shock: MANITOU SWINGER 3-WAY
* Brakes: SAINT HYDROS 8" ROTORS
* Cranks: 07 HOLZFELLER OCT RG 2.2
* Front Derailleur: ? PROLLY XT OR LX MABYE HONE
* Rear Derailleur: SAINT
* Pedals: EASTON FLATBOYS
* Stem ROOX 1.5
* Handlebar: EASTON DH
* Seatpost: THOMPSON ELITE
* Saddle: COMFORT V
* Bottom Bracket: 07 HOWITZER XR
* Cassette: XT 760 9 SPEED
* Headset: FSA FAT PIG 1.5
* Grips: ODI ROUGE
* Front Tire: WTB 2.7 TIMBERWOLVES
* Front Rim: RYHNOLITE
* Front Hub/Skewer: SAINT/ 20MM THROUGH
* Rear Tire: WTB 2.7 TIMBERWOLVES
* Rear Rim: RYNOLITE
* Rear Hub/Skewer: SAINT 135/ 135 THROUGH
* Weight ???? HEAVY BUT I DON'T CARE, NOT A WEIGHT WEENIE!!! LOL
:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
looks solid to me. some supposedly sturdy parts on board - I've not used much of them so can't say from personal experience. I'm a big fan of coil n oil dampers too, particularly for heavier riders. Have a great year on it (and then some...)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice Work

Nice piece of machinery. I'm thinking building a custom myself as I am 6'4' @ 255lbs. What was the cost like for your finished product?

Thanks, Coop

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
slacka1980 said:
THIS IS MY FIRST COMPLETE BUILD UP!! ALWAYS JUST BOUGHT A BIKE FROM THE LBS BEFORE!! TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS TIHINK!!!! COMMENTS WELCOME!
* RIDING TYPE: TRAILS / ALL MOUNTAIN
* ME: 250-265LBS RANGE 6' TALL
* Frame Size & Color: 03 IH SGS EXPERT LARGE POWDER COATED BRIGHT RED
* Fork:SHERMAN BREAKOUT WITH FIRM SPRINGS
* Rear Shock: MANITOU SWINGER 3-WAY
* Brakes: SAINT HYDROS 8" ROTORS
* Cranks: 07 HOLZFELLER OCT RG 2.2
* Front Derailleur: ? PROLLY XT OR LX MABYE HONE
* Rear Derailleur: SAINT
* Pedals: EASTON FLATBOYS
* Stem ROOX 1.5
* Handlebar: EASTON DH
* Seatpost: THOMPSON ELITE
* Saddle: COMFORT V
* Bottom Bracket: 07 HOWITZER XR
* Cassette: XT 760 9 SPEED
* Headset: FSA FAT PIG 1.5
* Grips: ODI ROUGE
* Front Tire: WTB 2.7 TIMBERWOLVES
* Front Rim: RYHNOLITE
* Front Hub/Skewer: SAINT/ 20MM THROUGH
* Rear Tire: WTB 2.7 TIMBERWOLVES
* Rear Rim: RYNOLITE
* Rear Hub/Skewer: SAINT 135/ 135 THROUGH
* Weight ???? HEAVY BUT I DON'T CARE, NOT A WEIGHT WEENIE!!! LOL
:thumbsup:
Awesome build...glad to see I ain't the only one that don't mind 'em heavy;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about 1100 or so, give or take a few dollars, got everything on big time sale!!! lol been workin on it since april(07)& was in no hurry to build it, as i had another bike so i could sit back and wait for the sales & deals to come around!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice job

I plan on starting a new build ASAP with the same pattern as you, buy when the price is right and to not rush it. I am just getting back into the sport after 8 years. I have a Cannondale Super V-900 Comp to get me through this year and back in trail shape. I intend to start the 09' season with a custom.

Any tips you might have would be great. I am a Clydesdale, just a big guy. I am in good shape as I play Hockey 3-4 days a week but still clock in at 6"4 250lbs @ 30yrs old. I need a solid horse that I can also get technical on. I would much rather customize all aspects of the bike to fit me then to just by one from the dealer. You have me motivated.

Coop

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
first off ya gotta have an idea of what ya want!! eBay from good rated sellers! be careful buying from Indonesia, hong kong, and tawain! year end sales, holiday blow outs are the best time to buy stuff! have a general knowledge of what stuff stuff is worth, reviews on mtbr and other places to see what kind of parts they are!!

·
MTBiker
988 Posts
I'm a little confused, is that a seat tube sticking up a few inches?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey bud I'm not saying your a crook, it was a general warning for people just starting to buy stuff on eBay! I've taken that chance with mixed results, I've been ripped off plenty of times with no way to even try and get my money back, from buying stuff out of the US... plus shipping and taxes and hidden charges make buying stuff less then economical! if ya live there go ahead and buy the stuff!! just be careful! again nothing against you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
at least if ya live in the US and you rip me off bad enough i have the option of making a visit to your home to "have a chat with ya" LOL if ya know what i mean!!!! lol :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nothing can beat the accomplishment of building a bike from a set of parts and a frame. Getting to hand select and tweak each part. Knowing that each parts has been lubed, and torqued into place properly.

Good Job!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts