Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Huffy Rider
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is how I replaced by beloved 2008 Giant Reign 0. (I am still waiting for barbs/olives to trim down the brake lines.)

Frame: 2008 Reign 1 size S, built up but never ridden, stripped down and sold to me.
Fork: Rev RLT Ti 150 maxle
Wheels: Stan's Crest ZTR
Stem/Seatpost: Thompson
Bars: Raceface Sixc uncut
Shifters/Rear Derailleur/Cass: Sram XO
Front Derailleur: XTR M952
Brakes: Hygia Elites
Cranks: DaVinci 167.5
Pedals: Ritchey Pro Paradigm

I have only been able to do a short ride and I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I even cleaned an obstacle I have never come close to doing today, like it wasn't even there!! The bike weighs 25.3 with no seat bag, RTR. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. Thanks to all for the encouraging words and reassurance that life will be good again. It is!

Brenda

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
motochick said:
So here is how I replaced by beloved 2008 Giant Reign 0. (I am still waiting for barbs/olives to trim down the brake lines.)

Frame: 2008 Reign 1 size S, built up but never ridden, stripped down and sold to me.
Fork: Rev RLT Ti 150 maxle
Wheels: Stan's Crest ZTR
Stem/Seatpost: Thompson
Bars: Raceface Sixc uncut
Shifters/Rear Derailleur/Cass: Sram XO
Front Derailleur: XTR M952
Brakes: Hygia Elites
Cranks: DaVinci 167.5
Pedals: Ritchey Pro Paradigm

I have only been able to do a short ride and I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I even cleaned an obstacle I have never come close to doing today, like it wasn't even there!! The bike weighs 25.3 with no seat bag, RTR. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. Thanks to all for the encouraging words and reassurance that life will be good again. It is!

Brenda
25.3 lbs? Sign, I need a new bike. I guess it's time to fake an insurance claim (KIDDING, I'M KIDDING!!!!!!!).

Looks nice. One complaint: too clean. Get out there and get her dirty.

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
226 Posts
motochick said:
I would love to get out and get her dirty, but I am doing the dishes!
Lol :eek:

Beauty of a ride! I'm glad everything worked out for you, like Skinny said; time to get it dirty! Enjoy!

·
suvlako
543 Posts
Brenda,

nice to see you got another bike. I remember reading when they stole your bike. Say, I was wondering. Do you ride motocross? I guessed you might from your name. My wife is getting into it and would love to ride with some other women. Just a thought.

·
Huffy Rider
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did get to get out today for a very short ride, and even cleaned an obstacle that I have never made before. It feels very light, even tho it is only about a pound lighter then the old one. Everything is so crisp and clean and new! Tomorrow I will do the Thumper loop and then spend the next two days in Sedona. Next week I will be down in the valley and hope to see what PHX has to offer!!

@suvlako: No, I do not ride motocross. I tried it and found it to be quite un-interesting. I ride single track trails, very much like the MTB trails only tougher. My bikes wouldn't fair very well on a track anyways. They have no clutch, plush, conventional suspension, and a rear trials tire with only 5lbs of air in it! If your wife wants to ride trails, lemme know, we ride down near the valley during the cool months.

·
suvlako
543 Posts
Sorry. Should have clarified. Ride a motocross like bike? We ride some trails but not a ton of stuff down here in Tucson that I am aware of. We would love to come up(I assume you are in Prescott) and get our feet wet on some nice singletrack. maybe there might be some peeps that would be our guides to some mtb and moto fun?? ; )

·
Huffy Rider
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Suvlako: I am sorry, I didn't mean to come off like a ******. To me "motocross" means track riding. I guess dirt bike or moto is my generic term for a motorized off road bike. BTW is there some good trail riding for the moto's out your way! I am in the verde valley where there is singletrack galore for MTBing. If you wanna do one trip and ride both MTB and moto's, wait for Flagstaff to be ridable.

Ronnie: I would have loved to have the Pivot, but sometimes you just can't have everything you want. I am super stoked with my new ride and when the time comes, hubby will be the first to get the Pivot. Have you decided what you might get yet? How was your Sedona riding w/your friends?

·
suvlako
543 Posts
No, I wasn't eluding to you coming off as anything. Would love to come up to flag in the summer and do some moto and MTB. Some desert singletrack for Moto in Tucson but not much. Lots of jeep trails though... Great MTBing for sure. Be glad to show you around anytime!

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Hey Motochick,

Tell us more about your cranks and brakes. I thought DaVinci made tandem stuff and I have never seen brakes like that. I am interested to hear what is compelling about those components.

·
Huffy Rider
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The cranks are made by the same folks that make the tandems. One of the guys that works there made a few 167.5 for himself and I was able to snag a pair. They are really light, affordable and I don't feel any flex, then again I am small and weak! The whole set w/BB weighs a touch over 700g. I picked them because I wanted to go shorter then 175 and I figured I may as well drop some weight and save some $$. And yes, they are way too pretty for MTB.

The brakes are some Taiwanese brand that are inexpensive and light. They modulate very well and they look pretty. I have not yet cut the brake lines which is why they look so ridiculous. The barbs/olives should be here soon. I will post a dirty pic w/cut brake lines as soon as it happens!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.