Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dirtyharry said:
Did you make it yourself? It looks like you did, and you did a good job (if you did)! post the picture of the complete bike when you finally build it.
Yes I did, and thank you. And special thanks to JS for guidance.
It goes into heat treat on Monday, I'm hoping to be hitting stuff with it next weekend.
I will post pics.
RTW.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BikeSATORI said:
nice work no doubt, skills with the glow stick!
Is that rear triangle from another frame???? looks to be FSR to me, haha. just welded at the pivot. seems I've seen that rear before....
The rear is made from parts for a Tazer H/T. The downtube is M1. The top tube is straight gage, and the headtube is Tazer F/S.
I did shorten the chainstays a bit.
:)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
SuspectDevice said:
Don't close off the end of your gussets... if you want them to actually disperse stress you need to leave the end open. Machine work and welds look great though!
Micky
This is only relivent on Steel bikes , on aluminum once the bike has been heat-treated all the metal basically becomes one piece , so the open ended gussett doesnt make much sense for this material in this application .

The thing to remember on aluminum gussetts is no to have them form a point to focus the stress into one spot , there are various ways to make a good aluminum gussett that disperse stress and that has been completly welded .

This being said I'm not too sure the differnces in 7075 and 6061 materials and how they will react to differnt shaped gussetts. But all the aluminum frames I have done have had the gussetts sealed .

·
Registered
647 Posts
FTW has always told me that closed gussets on Alumiun are a no-no, just like they are on steel. Intense stuff is 7000 right? That means it just gets baked, not heat treated. Even on a 6000 frame I think it's a good idea.

The only aluminum bikes I've ever seen with closed gussets are Kastan's... And intenses, and hell those thumbnail gussets are usually welded on crooked! Pinning the whole thing down tends to "draw" the gussetted tube together, which can lead to weird alignment issues and IMO, the less welding the better, even if you are working with a downtube that is what, .065?

Glad to see this guy has better aim than the old production welders at Intense!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
SuspectDevice said:
FTW has always told me that closed gussets on Alumiun are a no-no, just like they are on steel. Intense stuff is 7000 right? That means it just gets baked, not heat treated. Even on a 6000 frame I think it's a good idea.

The only aluminum bikes I've ever seen with closed gussets are Kastan's... And intenses, and hell those thumbnail gussets are usually welded on crooked! Pinning the whole thing down tends to "draw" the gussetted tube together, which can lead to weird alignment issues and IMO, the less welding the better, even if you are working with a downtube that is what, .065?

Remember Aluminum melts at 1000 degrees , so even baking has a much differnt effect on the meatl than say jsut tossing a steel bike int he powder coat oven.

The bikes I have exsperince with are the 7000 series frames , these as I believe only get baked at 500 for a short time .

Some 6061 alloys can be solution heattreat , similer to what Cannondale does to their frames these accully age after time also .

I guess what I was orignally getting at is the main reason you leave the ends of a gussett open on steel bikes is partly to let stress escape , but also it has to do with heat effected zone and how the steel tube will will dent or even crack when a over heated zone is put under excess stress from a gussett .

On aluminum this theroy is differnt as the gussett your welding on basically becomes a external butted section of the tube , the heat effected zone has no bearing once the frame has gone through proper heat treat , due to the low melting point of aluminum .
So really again the only real thing you need to remember is that the gussett dosent increse the load onthe aluminum tube , streess escaping has no basis here as the material reacts differntly than steel .

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SuspectDevice said:

This is gonna be fun. I've been Tig welding for 30 years.
no BS.
You boyz get your books ready.
RTW.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
rickthewelder said:
This is gonna be fun. I've been Tig welding for 30 years.
no BS.
You boyz get your books ready.
RTW.
Rick

BTW if I havent mentioned yet that bike is FLIPPIN SWEET !:thumbsup:

It is begining to excite me more every time I look at it , bikes that can be made from sub assemblies of other frames , and made to look much better than the original are VERY cool defiantly my type of ride :thumbsup: that thing is a single-track assassin :skep:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
SuspectDevice said:
Don't close off the end of your gussets... if you want them to actually disperse stress you need to leave the end open. Machine work and welds look great though!
The frame is all 6061 ( Intense does nothing in 7000 ), and will be precipitation hardened ( basically ) making it essentially a one piece frame.
I was a master jig & fixture builder for an aerospace company for 26 years and specialized in bird impact, and pressure test fixtures. I never left a gusset open.
Why would you ? I'm always trying to learn more.
Also, is FTW Frank the welder ? I saw a frame he made in a magazine once.
What type of things do you weld ?
Thanks in advance,
Rick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.