Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Not my cup of tea, I'll pass

Votes: 15 41.7%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi MTBR, I hope everyone is having a good thursday! I wanted to share my newly designed bike tool and patch kit, it is not quite like anything you have seen before, I can guarantee that! A disclaimer, I did launch the product on a crowdfunding forum. If you want the link so you can see my funny face in the video, let me know via PM. I have also posted on a couple of other forums, I obviously do want to get the word out but don't want to spam you guys, and am looking for honest feedback!

Now onto the fun stuff! The concept of the bike tool is that is contains everything you need for your commute or ride, 22 bike tools in all plut glueless tube patches. And, the best part, it is completely integrated into your phone case, so you just grab your phone and away you go. The included tools are:

• Two tire irons
  • Pedal/Axle wrench
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • 6 Allen wrenches (1/16, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm)
  • 4 Box wrenches (5.5mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm)
  • two spoke wrenches (.127 and .130)
  • Three glueless tire patches
  • Roughener for tire patch application
  • Bottle opener (for the end of the ride!)

Here are some photos of the product, it weights 80g total, but packs a lot of tools into a super slim space that is really convenient to carry. Ultimately I would like to add a handlebar mount accessory if my crowdfunding campaign is successful so you got your nav and tools all in one! Anxious to hear the community's feedback, thoughts and questions!

·
Registered
716 Posts
If the allen head wrenches are just the flat stock of the right size (mm), I'm not too enthused about that. They might work in an emergency, but still looks iffy for any tight bolts. The case on the back of a specific I Phone is cool, but could be problematic with how quickly that technology changes form factors.

I really like the idea of it though. Maybe make one for general tool use (blade/ screwdriver scissor/ tweezers), not bike specific for a wider market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Rock, you are right about new phones. My thought process here is when a new phone comes out I will be able to re-jigger the tools so all you need is just a new Polycarbonate case (for only a few $$) and the current tools will fit right in. No need to buy the whole thing again - I agree that would be a bit of a waste if you had to.

The Allen wrenches work at the Apex of the screw and actually are pretty reliable (the edges are machined to fit snugly) - you can apply about 45-55 in-lbs of torque, plenty to tighten most screws on your bike. The limiting factor is typically your strength and the length of the tool versus the tool strength or stripping the screw! On the smaller screws you can't apply that much torque, but surprisingly you can apply nearly as much as a traditional wrench.

You bring up a good point though, I should make a video showing how the Allen wrench works!

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
Hi mate, really respect somebody that backs themselves to design something different, looks like a quality piece of kit, not so sure about it being incorperated on a mobile, but all the same nicely done and great effort.
For ease of use im not sure id be replacing my crank brothers multi tool, but yours has a tire lever and bottle opener which mine doesnt have, nice effort bro, good luck.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Love the innovation, don't quit. But I think there's some issues here.

1) Agree with rock on the allen wrench issue, doesn't look like they'll hold up to torque. Nor do they look long enough for the torques necessary for major parts. Cable clamps need 5-7nm. Brake calipers need 6-7nm. Front derailleur clamp needs 5-7 nm. The Swiss army knife style multi tools have a good heft and leverage to apply this amount of torque because you can palm the thing.

2) no torx bits

3) no chain breaker

4) box wrenches are not really necessary on modern bikes

5) Pedal wrench is a good feature, and many might like a light hub / cone wrench, but folks will need different widths in the range of 16-20mm or so for this. It might limit your sales if the width you offer does not match the cone wrench that the user needs.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Patents only make it easier for people to steel your ideas. Produce and sell as many as you can, as fast as you can, before someone comes along and copies it.
I've never been a fan of flat tools. A video demonstration might sway my attitude, but I doubt it. If I need something in an emergency, or even as a convenience, I want to be confident the tool's gonna function. That's not to say there isn't a market or that it's a bad idea. I, personally, wouldn't give it a second look.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,237 Posts
Hi that is real nice but all my maintenance I have ever had to do in real life would snap or bend all that kit shown. not saying you can't still sell thousands of those as is

market for that design, would likely be the beach cruiser crowd. sell a million of them at the beach.

for MTB...have a version 2.0, fatter waterproof phone case and real allen/torx and chain breaker

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Love the innovation, don't quit. But I think there's some issues here.

1) Agree with rock on the allen wrench issue, doesn't look like they'll hold up to torque. Nor do they look long enough for the torques necessary for major parts. Cable clamps need 5-7nm. Brake calipers need 6-7nm. Front derailleur clamp needs 5-7 nm. The Swiss army knife style multi tools have a good heft and leverage to apply this amount of torque because you can palm the thing.

2) no torx bits

3) no chain breaker

4) box wrenches are not really necessary on modern bikes

5) Pedal wrench is a good feature, and many might like a light hub / cone wrench, but folks will need different widths in the range of 16-20mm or so for this. It might limit your sales if the width you offer does not match the cone wrench that the user needs.

Hope that helps.
Going off of ddprocter's post, maybe you can design an "a la carte" type menu of tools for customers to choose from with a "compatibility calculator" feature on the website that customers can use to use to pick and choose which tools they want and the calculator will let them know what fits in the case. This would allow you to produce a wider range of tools, even non-bike specific stuff, while also ensuring that customers are only getting the tools they need. This would also allow you to produce a few different size cases for those who need to hold more tools, or minimal tools.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great feedback everyone, thanks!

The flat tools are not as good as a full-on screwdriver or long Park T-handle allen wrench, but with 1.5mm of hardened steel you won't have to worry about them breaking:)

johnb, yes I filed with the Patent office in 2013!
sasquatch, great concept, this is actually where we are already headed - i have one other tool tray that contains more travel/urban tools (USB drive, scissors, pen/stylus, etc), so we are already on that path! You can see the info on that one here

Keep it coming everyone this is great to hear everyone's thoughts.

·
Keep pedaling
422 Posts
The tire irons should be coated with rubber or plastic so they don't damage the wheel rim.

I need a chain tool more often than I need a pedal wrench or box wrench.

Maybe you could add a space for drivers license and credit card so people don't need to carry a wallet.

Good luck with it.

• Two tire irons
  • Pedal/Axle wrench
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • 6 Allen wrenches (1/16, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm)
  • 4 Box wrenches (5.5mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm)
  • two spoke wrenches (.127 and .130)
  • Three glueless tire patches
  • Roughener for tire patch application
  • Bottle opener (for the end of the ride!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Furball, thanks for the tips. When initially designing the tire irons, I was worried about the marring, but as it turns out the polished stainless does a really good job of not damaging your rim at all. I have not tried it on any carbon rims, so can't comment ont hat, but all of the mountain bike rims myself and my friends have tested the irons on they work like a charm!

I have spent some time thinking about how to fit in a chain break, that one is still a work-in-progress. I also do have a design for a addition on the back that can hold credit cards and driver's license, if I meet my funding goal then I will consider adding those on!

Thanks!

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Also have you tried these allen wrenches on partially stripped hex nuts? Since they rely on a very small contact area between wrench and nut, with stress concentrations at the corners of the nut, they may not work very well and at the same time exacerbate the stripped area.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts