Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some components after the several Turner upgrades, so I bought a frame for them. The only new thing is the cranks :)

The frame

In process...

Release Candidate :)

Frame weight: 2kg
Bike weight: 11.8kg

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
You know, I've always been a fan of Marin hardtails, since I found out about them about eight years ago. I noted how most models (now down to a few) used really upscale Columbus tubing, some frames made in Italy. Why they were never a big splash here, I can't understand. Their FS bikes could be polarizing, but their hardtails are stunning.

I noted some marking at the top of the headtube. What's up with that? How good does the clearcoat look?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
I noted some marking at the top of the headtube. What's up with that? How good does the clearcoat look?
This marking is really small, and was almost gone during facing. Frame has waited for me about three years in the several bike shops, so marking is normal :)

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Beauty - great steel, but the contrast between the Oro Biancos and the Deore cranks is something I just can't get my head around.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Cool ride - I have to say I'm a steel fan too. After trying a couple different road bikes, AL & CF, I bought a steel touring rig and I'm really digging the ride. Its MUCH easier on the body than my previous two jackhamers were, I can ride for 2-3 hours and only feel it in the legs as opposed to before when I felt like I got ran over by a bus after every ride. Steel is real.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
You know, I've always been a fan of Marin hardtails, since I found out about them about eight years ago. I noted how most models (now down to a few) used really upscale Columbus tubing, some frames made in Italy. Why they were never a big splash here, I can't understand. Their FS bikes could be polarizing, but their hardtails are stunning.

Agree here with JC, one of my all time best bikes was my Marin Indian Fire Trail, stella frame and bike fit for me, loved it.....

A sweet looking build, the frame looks awesome

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
I also have a new steel hardtail coming - made by a small Ann Arbor, Mi builder, Chris Zias. Columbus Zona tubing, paragon sliding dropouts w/ der. hanger - can run it Singlespeed [default] or geared....

I love steel bikes, and maintain that if steel didn't exist, and it was recently discovered, people would be hysterically clamoring to have a bike made of it!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
006_007 said:
Really nice looking rig. hmmm, I think I need a hardtail......
This thread has really made me wonder whay DT doesn't have a Hardtail in the lineup - something like the SC Chameleon, or the Cove Handjob. Something that can be geared or SS. I know DT's had other threads about this sort of thing, and outsourcing the builds and whatnot. This isn't a thread for that, but if Turner had a Steel or Alu hardtail, that could be SS or geared (maybe in 26" and 29"), and had geometry that could handle a 100-140mm fork.. And the frame sold in the $450-700 range - I think people would buy.

I guess the problem is that all of the other options in that range would require him to spec the frame from overseas to be competitive with all the Niners, SC's and other bikes in that range.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.