Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill make this short- for the last 2 years i have been riding a diamondback sortie 3- which has been an amazing bike- but i always wanted just a little more bike for the trail/am riding. about 6 months ago i bough a blur lt2 frame and finished my build about a month ago- my goal was a bike that could be used everywhere and do well at everything (with in reason) i went with a 150mm fork and the weight is 28.xx lbs- i ride anywhere from xc to am depending on who wants to ride and when.
there is a color theme i tryed to go with, the frame color, black and silver- trying to tie the silver in with wheels, hanlde bars, skewers, seat clamp- handle grips (NOT PICTURED) ect-

i would like to know what you all think, i have thick skin so feel free to be honest-
heres a list of parts

frame- 2010 santa cruz blur lt2
fork- fox 32 FIT RLC 15mm thru axle
rear- rp23
crank- noir carbon 2x9 setup
bash gard- e13 turbocharger
bb- gxp
front derailleur- will be x9
rear derailleur- x9
shirter- x9
brakes- juicy 5
gear- sram 970
wheels- easton haven
tires- weirwolf 2.3 am ust tubless
pedels- candy 2
handlebars- easton haven
stem- split second 70, 00.00.01
seatpost- thompson elite
seat- wtb silverado slx
headset- chris king
chain- 970
grips- lizard skin peaty
extras- kcnc hollow tech spacers, seat clamp and skewers,

the gf and i buying our santa cruz frames

the haven wheels she bought me for my bday-

lindsey- the gf, and myself have been riding for a few years now, we are both students, she is working full time for banner health, and dicks sporting goods on the weekend- she is also a full time student studying nursing- i am working full time managing a shoe store and am a full time student studying business management and accounting- we decided to build up bikes together to have something nice for our days off from work- and no we are not trust fund kids- however that would be nice

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
amish build make me think more of this

'tis a fine bike, indeed, but sure 'tis no barn. well done, brother ishmael.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmmm....... Something doesn't add up here. A working student paying their way through school, plus paying rent, utilities, food, car insurance and all the other fun stuff, can't normally afford a high end bike or even mid level. What am I missing?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well done on the new bike.

Hmmm....... Something doesn't add up here. A working student paying their way through school, plus paying rent, utilities, food, car insurance and all the other fun stuff, can't normally afford a high end bike or even mid level. What am I missing?
Apparently, you are missing hard work, discipline, planning and a willingness to sacrifice for what you want in life.

R

·
Registered
555 Posts
EMrider said:

Apparently, you are missing hard work, discipline, planning and a willingness to sacrifice for what you want in life.

R
No, I'm not missing that part :nono: - it's in his post. But one can still have these fine attributes and yet be a freeloader. In other words, His mama could still be taking care of him by giving him food and shelter.

Heck, I know a few 25 year olds that are still living at home.:eek: They have college degrees good jobs and nice cars yet they still leech off of their parents. :nono:

To me, being a hard worker is not enough. You also need to be a man and pay your own freight.;)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
EMrider said:

R
And deferred student loans. :p

Good work on the build. The only thing I would change is the Juicy 5s. I can't stand the Juicy brakes. They work, but a lot of annoying little things about them for me. I'll soon be replacing the set that came on one of my bikes. If you ever decide to replace them, I really like SLX brakes for performance for the money. I've seen them as cheap as $99 per wheel.

Let me know what you think of those Easton Haven wheels. I've read a lot of people having issues with the bearing preload adjuster coming loose and causing play. Some people were having to constantly re-tighten it. It would be interesting to know if they have that problem sorted now. I'm considering getting a pair for my 29er.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
bigbeck said:
No, I'm not missing that part :nono: - it's in his post. But one can still have these fine attributes and yet be a freeloader. In other words, His mama could still be taking care of him by giving him food and shelter.

Heck, I know a few 25 year olds that are still living at home.:eek: They have college degrees good jobs and nice cars yet they still leech off of their parents. :nono:

To me, being a hard worker is not enough. You also need to be a man and pay your own freight.;)
:madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the comments guys-
as far as my life goes- i live in a college house with 8 other people (have my own room) and pay 300 inclluding everything- which isnt bad- im under my parents insurance because it is a lot cheeper however i do have to pay them monthly for it- renters insurance is the same story. it comes out to around 70 a month totall. when i was 16 i got a job with time warner cable, with in 6 months i was put in a management position with 3-5 people working for me depending on the times- i made a lot and saved a lot there for college- and now im working full time for a major shoe company which makes things a bit easer- its been months since i have gone out to the bars and i dont have enough to take a vacation or a spring break- but i will make it ouit debt free or very close to debt free if i keep saving x amount every month-
oh, my parents do pay my phone bill- its a 3 year old flip phone with no internet or anything like that- super basic and only because im on a family plan that my dad gets to write off for work-

baeckerx1- i really wanted to go with different brakes as well, but i spent a bit more than i wanted on the build so i decided to put the brakes from my old bike on this and upgrade when i could- they work well but i know what you mean about the annoying things- like the gobble and the leavers being loose and making sounds over rocky sections-

i love the haven wheels however i really have not spend enough time on them to tell you if they are good or not- after two rides i really like them- and they weigh less than my road bike wheels- doing my re-search on them the pre load adjuster was the problem- i believe its been solved but i will find out- i also read that easton in most cases takes care of the wheel if that happens-

:)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Very nice bikes you and your GF have got, now thrash it (er, the bike that is)!

bigbeck said:
What am I missing?
Self discipline, apparently.

I managed being a student, paying my way and having a nice bike(s). Having a job helps, not having a drink or drugs habit helps even more...

·
Registered
555 Posts
saxen said:
when i was 16 i got a job with time warner cable, with in 6 months i was put in a management position with 3-5 people working for me depending on the times- i made a lot and saved a lot there for college-
:)
That's too funny. It's close to my story. At 17 I was working nights as a janitor in a big AT&T building. After 6 months I was asked to be a supervisor of about 20 people:eek: I had to turn it down because I was almost finished with Vo-tech and had a job lined up as an auto mechanic. Besides, the job required me to wear a jacket and tie. :lol: I was living on my own at this time. I shared a rental house with two other guys. They were party animals. I was the responsible one. Don't know how I did it,but I saved up enough money to buy a new Toyota pick-up truck. I was not interested in biking at this time-just surviving and partying.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
829 Posts
RBowles said:
That is a really nice build. It is good to see that there are some young people in our country that still believe in hard work to attain their goals.:)
This is kind of an inflammatory comment. Not every child in this country is a member of the leisure class.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.