Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bit the bullet and bought a new bike after riding my GT Palomar for the last 11 years. I tested quite a few bikes and settled on the Marin Alpine Trail 29er. The kicker is that I found it on ING Direct's online shop for over $200 cheaper (with a 15% off coupon) than any LBS. The catch? It's orange and has a small ING on the top tube. That being said -- I actually dig the orange/yellow color more than the stock red or black. And if saving 220 bucks means ING gets a little free advertising, so be it. I took a couple quick photos of the bike this evening. Hopefully it won't be quite so clean later this week.

I haven't ridden more than a few miles on it yet so I can't comment on how it handles a real trail, but I took a decent climb on a fire road this afternoon. I'm not sure whether it's simply the effect of riding newer technology, or if it's due to the bigger wheels, or whether it's all in my head but -- DAMN this thing can climb!

Attachments

·
mtbr member
491 Posts
Yeah, I like those colors too. Looks good. Let us know how it handles the trails.

·
gravity fighter
Ripmo AF
552 Posts
I checked out the ING site, and that is a screaming deal. Do you need to have an account with them to get it?
I wasn't impressed with the red Alpine I saw in REI, and I actually think that orange is a much nicer color. Something about a wild color and 29'rs seem to work :)
I'm looking forward to your ride report!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mikecito said:
I checked out the ING site, and that is a screaming deal. Do you need to have an account with them to get it?
I wasn't impressed with the red Alpine I saw in REI, and I actually think that orange is a much nicer color. Something about a wild color and 29'rs seem to work :)
I'm looking forward to your ride report!
No, you don't need an ING account to purchase the bike from their website. You do need an account if you want the extra 15% off though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Holy Moly dude! You got a steal! Good job. I don't suppose they put the ING logo under the clear coat so you can't pull it off, did they?

I got a feeling ING is going be selling a lot of those things.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bolandjd said:
Holy Moly dude! You got a steal! Good job. I don't suppose they put the ING logo under the clear coat so you can't pull it off, did they?

I got a feeling ING is going be selling a lot of those things.
Unfortunately, no -- the decal is on there pretty good.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
that's a looker! You can always cover that ING logo with another sticker.

Now, we wait for upgrade-itis to kick in hehe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Post ride report

Took the bike on a 20 mile ride in to work this morning. About 50% was asphalt and 50% was trail. Overall I'm stoked. The tires grip pretty well, it climbs like a beast, and unless there's a boulder in front of me there isn't a whole lot these wheels can't roll over. I can't say I definitely tell a difference in "rolling resistance" over a standard 26" wheel, but I guess I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison to really see. It also feels just a tad bit less nimble in the corners than a standard bike. And I have to say I'm glad I use clipless pedals because the toe-wheel clearance is almost nonexistent.

On the downside I think something is wrong with either the rear derailleur or the chain. On the tail end of my ride the chain kept slipping and/or trying to shift (making it hard to keep a good rhythm). It happens after 3 or 4 revolutions of the pedals, same time, every time, preceded by an ever so audible "click". I'm no bike mechanic so I'm going to take it back to the shop who built it and let the professionals figure it out.

EDIT: Flipped it upside down just for the helluvit and turned the cranks to check things out. Found a stuck link in the chain causing the problem as it went through the rear derailleur. Hopefully a degreasing/re-lube will clear things up.

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,338 Posts
Huh, that's funny. I rode the Alpine Trail on Memorial Day, didn't see you there. I'm talking about the Alpine Trail itself, not the bicycle named after it.

C'mon up to Oakridge Oregon and ride that nice new bike of yours on its namesake trail.

--sParty

P.S. Opened this thread hoping/expecting to see pics of the trail, ha ha.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I thought Marin named all their bikes after places in Marin County?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SAWS said:
volyblmn -

That bike looks like a great buy. What size did you get and how tall, etc. are you?
I bought the 17" frame. I'm 5'10" / 185lbs. The 17" seemed a tad small but the 19" didn't leave nearly enough room for the boys if I stepped off the saddle quickly. With the 17 I just moved the seat back a bit on the rail to stretch things out. Fits good now.

·
Rider
242 Posts
I ordered mine from the ING DIRECT site. Should have it next Wednesday. Realizing it's only an entry level bike, I figure for the price ($406 shipped to my door including taxes and S&H), I can afford to ride it this year and get a feel for it and a 29er in general. If I don't like it, (or I really like it), I can sell it next year and upgrade to the next level at a minimal loss.

Good deal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm really liking the look of this bike and getting ready to order one. But does anyone have the coupon code to save 15% ? Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for that. But I can't get the code to work with my customer #. I just opened a basic saving account, to try and save the 15%. I'll give it a try Monday, and if it still won't work will just go ahead and order it anyway.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts